Laptop recommendation

Posted 22nd Nov
I need to get laptop for brother, budget about 400, seen this deal and not sure if it good, the laptop will be used for :
Watching film
Office work
Video editing from go Pro
And general Web browsing

argos.co.uk/product/1340501
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Hi Stephen.

The only sticking point I can see with your list of requirements would be the video editing. Everything else will be fine on that particular machine - in fact on ANY machine. As it's only an i3 and 5400rpm HDD it might not be the 'zippiest' of laptops for intensive editing but it will suffice. Decent amount of ram too so; for the money; a fair machine.

Bang in a cheap SSD and it would be a bit (a lot) quicker. I would certainly wait to see what Black Friday deals start to circulate though as you might pick up an i5 for around the same money. Just as an aside, you are looking for new only - or would you consider a reconditioned laptop?

All the best, Phsy.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 22nd Nov
As it's not for me I wouldn't do reconditioned one no, thanks for your info really appreciated, there is an i5 version of this machine for 399 which is max budget
Stephen_Steele87222/11/2019 16:18

As it's not for me I wouldn't do reconditioned one no, thanks for your …As it's not for me I wouldn't do reconditioned one no, thanks for your info really appreciated, there is an i5 version of this machine for 399 which is max budget

That is a better machine but I would have liked to see it priced around the £349 region really. i5 is nice, quad core and a bigger HDD but damn, I wish they'd stop putting slow drives in these machines!

When do you need it for? Xmas or sooner? Can you wait till next week?
There's this HERE from Hughes. Same money but trades the HDD for a speedy SSD. Decent Ryzen 5 processor, and slightly improved gfx so you could do some low-level gaming on it too.

Just out of interest, when you say watching films - do you mean disc-based, i.e. DVD? You do realise none of these laptops appear to have a media drive so no loading things off disc unless you buy a cheap external drive.
This one has IPS screen.

ACER Aspire 5 A515-43 15.6" AMD Ryzen 5 Laptop - 256 GB SSD
currys.co.uk/gbu…tml
Cisco06060622/11/2019 17:07

This one has IPS screen.ACER Aspire 5 A515-43 15.6" AMD Ryzen 5 Laptop - …This one has IPS screen.ACER Aspire 5 A515-43 15.6" AMD Ryzen 5 Laptop - 256 GB SSDhttps://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a515-43-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10198290-pdt.html

That's a good shout, Cisco. I'm not a massive fan of Acer myself but that IS a good spec machine for the money. If you went into a store, might even be able to haggle a little off with them. I've tussled with them in the past...

My Asus one above at Curry's is £599??? I sure as heck wouldn't pay that for it!
Sorry but who's brother budget?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants