Found 25th Aug 2008
I'm in need of a laptop that will allow me to word process, use internet, games (mid-spec), watch TV

I'm thinking a core 2 duo processor, average graphics card and TV tuner.

Can anyone advise of something that will do what I need?

Thank you

1. Misc
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Laptop
7 Comments

]ASUS
]SAMSUNG - 17'

]+ TV

If that's a bit too expensive go for Dell (e.g. something from Dell Vostro + 8400gs) - although quality will not match those above it may save you couple of quids.

Laptop graphics cards are slower than desktop ones so you want as good a graphics card as you can get for the money.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;2819044

Laptop graphics cards are slower than desktop ones so you want as good a … Laptop graphics cards are slower than desktop ones so you want as good a graphics card as you can get for the money.

Would an 8600GT 256mb be sufficient? How would that compare to a 5200FX in a desktop for example?

Banned

Whats your price range ? PM me cause I am just leaving for now will try and find you something nice tomorrow morning ?

andrewr;2819111

Would an 8600GT 256mb be sufficient? How would that compare to a 5200FX … Would an 8600GT 256mb be sufficient? How would that compare to a 5200FX in a desktop for example?

Compared to an FX5200 anything is going to be fast, it's five years old and was bottom of the range when it was released. I have no idea how much faster an 8600M GT would be, maybe four or five times as fast?

Whether it's sufficient depends on what games you have in mind, what resolution you want to run at, how picky you are in terms of graphical settings and how long it should be able to run new games for.

It's hard to find direct comparisons of laptop graphics since you can't just swap them in and out while keeping the rest of the system the same. Single performance figures are also influenced by the CPU.

There is a review of the 8600M GT ]here. It does show that you wouldn't expect to get a playable experience on recent games (1-2 years or newer) at the highest settings, although it unfortunately it doesn't find out what image settings would be usable (kind of understandable as they wanted to try and take the CPU out of the equation).

Original Poster

Thanks EndlessWaves.

The processor I'm looking at would probably be the Core 2 Duo T5670 1.80Ghz.

The alternative graphics I'm looking at with Dell is an 8400GS 128mb which is £50 cheaper than the 8600GT 256mb. Is there much difference between these 2?

The laptop is mainly for my sister who plays pretty basic games. The games run fine on a desktop that's about 4 years old (top spec back then). I'm pretty sure the graphics card in that isn't better than an 8400GS although I'd like the laptop to be a better spec than the desktop.

Trere is a huge difference between 8400gs & 8600gt.
8600gt is maybe twice as much powerful as the second one.

Take into account that those 'basic games' may not work with Vista
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition56530
    2. Free money and competition entry @ Circle56
    3. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)44
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…22

See more discussions