Laptop advice

Found 17th Nov 2017
I'm after a fairly cheap laptop for my 11 year old. she is very into art and research so I don't want anything slow and sluggish.
any recommendations? Also what is the difference with a chromebook? she has seen a lovely acer chromebook that can flip 360 or something but it's over my budget I want to keep it under £200. will they come down on black Friday?
any advice would be great

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
9 Comments

first of all with all respect..if your girl likes art..give her colourfull pens and paper..to make art on a laptop..she ll be bored as fast as you can t possible think..not mention you will ruin her eyes.
on theme..chromebook is a platform made by google ..like windows or mac..bettet get her to get used with a windows based..for later usage in school..or uni..
amazon.co.uk/Len…031

You will struggle to get a decent laptop for under £200 tbh

Original Poster

she already has lots of art equipment and would like a laptop but thank you for the patronising advice haha! her homework is all done online now but hey that's 2017 for ya!
Edited by: "aliceb84" 17th Nov 2017

Original Poster

d3fult_71 h, 7 m ago

You will struggle to get a decent laptop for under £200 tbh

yes I'm aware that it wont be as good as mine but Its for an 11 year old so her needs aren't the same as mine .... was hoping to hear from someone that has some ideas on what I can get for my budget

I'd keep an eye out here:-

laptopsdirect.co.uk/nav…r=1

These are the Chromebooks which can convert / flip to become a more tablety type computer

There is nothing in your price range at the moment, but they regularly discount below £200. In fact I bought the Acer R13 (CB5-312) as a refurb (near perfect) for less than half of what they are currently selling at and well within your budget.

In terms of arty work, I've not used any personally (although now I've looked I might download them!) but there are these apps for drawing which might work really well with a 360 flip and touchscreen!

educatorstechnology.com/201…tml

In terms of homework, the google version of MS office is pre-installed and files can be downloaded as the Microsoft equivalents.

Hope this helps!

harrystroe11 h, 12 m ago

bettet get her to get used with a windows based..for later usage in …bettet get her to get used with a windows based..for later usage in school..or uni..

The Google tools are pretty similar now (if a little rougher round the edges) and outside some pretty intensive data analysis I think it should cope. A year 7 pupil will be fine with it.

Original Poster

Evilmonkey11 h, 4 m ago

I'd keep an eye out …I'd keep an eye out here:-https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/nav/pt/laptops/osgroup/google-chrome-os/popularfea/2in1-convertible/mc/laptops-and-netbooks?sortOrder=1These are the Chromebooks which can convert / flip to become a more tablety type computerThere is nothing in your price range at the moment, but they regularly discount below £200. In fact I bought the Acer R13 (CB5-312) as a refurb (near perfect) for less than half of what they are currently selling at and well within your budget.In terms of arty work, I've not used any personally (although now I've looked I might download them!) but there are these apps for drawing which might work really well with a 360 flip and touchscreen!http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2015/05/3-of-best-chromebook-apps-for-drawing.htmlIn terms of homework, the google version of MS office is pre-installed and files can be downloaded as the Microsoft equivalents.Hope this helps!

Thank you! Very helpful

I'd probably consider a used laptop possibly, however anything with a solid state srive in it will be significantly quicker than one without. - good luck

Original Poster

Got her one for 400 in the end
Edited by: "aliceb84" 13th Dec 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text