Laptop advice

Posted 21st Oct
Looking at buying a new laptop. Want 15.6" and SSD with at least 8gb ram. Only really use for office tasks. Any thoughts on these 2 please

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
I would go for the Ryzen machine due to it having a quad core CPU.
For mainly office work (unless it is SQL database work ...) I would save the £50 , and spend this on an external monitor (vesa mount) to use as extra document space or spend the £50 on some other useful accessories.
As for CPU, you will notice no practical difference in performance. I have both quad and dual core (one of which is i3-8145U), there is no difference in office work (PPT, Word and Excel) with two browsers running, PDF , one with 100tabs and another with 20 tabs (unless you happen to urgently need to run a virus scan and Windows update at the same time as you do office work). Even then, if you are typing away on word, excel you see no slow down at all (unless you have CPU intensive macros running in Excel).

But, if one wants to be bamboozled then discuss the CPU, but that is a lot of theoretical hot air for no actual gain. (Namely: the Intel CPU, single thread is 30% more powerful than the AMD for office type of work, more threads are better than fewer threads blah, blah).
The only bit of advice I can give based on my recent experience is get a laptop with an IPS panel.

I use my laptop for office work and unknowingly purchased a laptop with a TN panel. I really struggled with the screen resolution being unclear and 'watery' with very poor viewing angles even though it is full HD.

Following advice received on here I replaced the screen with an IPS panel and problem solved.
notalwaysright1921/10/2019 11:31

The only bit of advice I can give based on my recent experience is get a …The only bit of advice I can give based on my recent experience is get a laptop with an IPS panel. I use my laptop for office work and unknowingly purchased a laptop with a TN panel. I really struggled with the screen resolution being unclear and 'watery' with very poor viewing angles even though it is full HD. Following advice received on here I replaced the screen with an IPS panel and problem solved.

Most people here bamboozle themselves and others with CPU comparisons with little demonstration of screen quality and the eye usage for office work with mixed font text and graphics which needs good sRGB. In this case, both laptops are budget Dell Inspiron 3000 series, so TN panels .
I have a Dell Latitude laptop with IPS as well as an external Dell Ultrasharp IPS with VESA mount which makes turning it in portrait mode easy for A4 documents, that's where the money should be spent, IMHO.
Can you wait a few weeks? There should some good deals next month/black friday, esp since the Ryzen 2xxx is old so might see more clearance offers (still very good CPU/integrated GPU)
Do your need the portability?
If so for that sort of budget I'd look at 2 in 1s and just get larger screen for when your at home if needed.

Something like the Lenovo Miix 720 which was on offer for £450 (i5, 8gb ram, 256gb sad) last week is more then high enough spec for general office work.
They are a lot better for traveling with then a standard laptop.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants