Laptop advice

Posted 6th Jun 2020
Hello
I’m looking form some advice please.
My 9 year old would like a laptop for his upcoming 10th birthday. I’d usually scoff at such an extravagant request but a laptop for family use would be useful for us.
Problem I have is I have got a clue where to start! He tells me he’d like to play games but I don’t think he means anything too sophisticated. As a family we just need it for low powered browsing and Office type functionality.

Ideal budget would be around £400 but happy to go higher if needed and I’m always inclined to spend a little more for quality/longevity.

Thank you in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
hotukdeals.com/dea…714

the above is a good deal, do u know anyone able to access unidays n so on for the discount?
Hi, I had to purchase a laptop in the last couple of days at short notice for similar reasons, we’ve had issues with deliveries recently going to the wrong house etc so didn’t want to risk a laptop going missing so opted for Argos. Trouble is, they have very few mid range laptops in stock locally over and above the Cloud Books (largely underpowered for what I / you require), but I managed to find an ASUS X543 in stock.

Really pleased with it at the price point of £300, it’s quite robust and well made, in terns of specs it’s more than adequate for a family laptop and for your 9 year old to be able to play a few games.

argos.co.uk/product/7610060?clickSR=slp:term:asus%20x543:1:49:1
Edited by: "joeydeacon" 7th Jun
I bought dell inspiron 5000 2in1 touch screen I5 , 8GB , 256 SSD for my daughter and she is really happy but you can buy similar think in Hp or Lenovo for around £500 .
sarden8407/06/2020 00:45

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ideapad-3-ryzen-5-4500u-8gb-256gb-ssd-students-3475714the above is a good deal, do u know anyone able to access unidays n so on for the discount?

Hello - thanks for this, it’s helpful. I can get student discount. The only thing that puts me off that one is the few comments about the screen...appreciate my budget is limited.
You should be looking fot a Ryzen 5 for light gaming, that comes with an IPS screen + 8GB RAM + SSD.
Edited by: "I_Wish" 7th Jun
I_Wish07/06/2020 11:30

You should be looking fot a Ryzen 5 for light gaming, that comes with an …You should be looking fot a Ryzen 5 for light gaming, that comes with an IPS screen + 8GB RAM + SSD.

It’s become clear that I may need to increase my budget expectations, which is fine. I want something for the long ish term.
Appreciating the covid effect, are there any good deals around at the moment that match the above advice? Thank you for your help all.
At present there are few deal currently, this is a good deal but you need to pay £30 above your budget hotukdeals.com/dea…343 normally at this price you're only getting a 256GB SSD, this comes with a 512GB SSD.
Post a comment
@
    Text