Laptop advice please.

Found 15th Dec 2017
Ok, I need to replace my aging laptop. I want the best one of these the for gaming graphics. Not necessary to have great gaming potential - Judi low end stuff such as World of Warcraft (mine is too laggy to play more).
These two on Very, all with £70 cashback, which makes them very affordable.

Laptop 1

Laptop 2

One has 4gb ram and 1tb rom

The other has 8gb ram and 128gb ssd.

Not sure which combo is better plus can't work out which graphics is better either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ( unless opinion is split, in which case it well be spin a coin )

Thanks.
Community Updates
AskElectronics
10 Comments
It has an N3710 processor, which is a bit low (<2000) on the benchmarks, crappy display and DDR3 ram.... So beware that it might not actually be better then your old one
You have it a little muddled up:
One has 4GB of ram and 128gb ssd and the other has 8GB ram and a standard 1tb drive.
Anyway.... Option 2 (15-Bw094na) is much better, it had half the ram, but pretty much everything else is better.
Has a decent amd cpu, which is significantly better than the Intel pentium one in the other, the built in graphics with the amd one are better that the Intel HD one in the other, the ssd is obviously much smaller but they make a hugely positive improvement in performance compared to a standard drive (which the 1tb one is), option 2 has a full HD screen and the other one doesn't.

Both are certainly not gaming machines, but the pentium in option 1 isn't as good as the processor in some mobile phones.

15-Bw094na, AMD A10, 4Gb RAM, 128Gb SSD, 15.6in Full HD Laptop would be my pick.
Both are crap. The AMD is probably less crap.
chuffedfox6 m ago

It has an N3710 processor, which is a bit low (<2000) on the benchmarks, …It has an N3710 processor, which is a bit low (<2000) on the benchmarks, crappy display and DDR3 ram.... So beware that it might not actually be better then your old one

Agreed.
Shengis7 m ago

Both are crap. The AMD is probably less crap.

One has a full HD screen, ssd and integrated graphics which are probably one of the best you can get without having a dedicated card, so hardly crap.
To be candid, I would carry on looking. December month end frequently brings great bargains.

An SSD will greatly improve performance. over a hard disk I use them to rejuvenate old processors.

128gb is small but you can tweak it. Sounds painful but its a technique worth learning. Partition the SSD (Start, Disk Management) into a C: drive at 60gb and use the rest for a D: drive for your data. Then use the windows option to compress data on the D: drive to make it go further. The added advantage is that you can clean up Windows ont the C: drive and not worry about losing the data on your D: drive

4gb RAM is on the decidedly low side and you would need the SSD performance to make it work.
MIDURIX20 m ago

One has a full HD screen, ssd and integrated graphics which are probably …One has a full HD screen, ssd and integrated graphics which are probably one of the best you can get without having a dedicated card, so hardly crap.

So we agree, best of a bad bunch is the AMD
ccnp56 m ago

To be candid, I would carry on looking. December month end frequently …To be candid, I would carry on looking. December month end frequently brings great bargains.An SSD will greatly improve performance. over a hard disk I use them to rejuvenate old processors. 128gb is small but you can tweak it. Sounds painful but its a technique worth learning. Partition the SSD (Start, Disk Management) into a C: drive at 60gb and use the rest for a D: drive for your data. Then use the windows option to compress data on the D: drive to make it go further. The added advantage is that you can clean up Windows ont the C: drive and not worry about losing the data on your D: drive4gb RAM is on the decidedly low side and you would need the SSD performance to make it work.

I wouldn't bother. Most data is compressed anyway, but if you are going to compress data on the fly you'll end up making the ssd do more write cycles and reduce its life. The processors in question are also not the greatest and what you recommend needs some processing power, plus extra processing power needs more power, which won't be fantastic for battery life.
MIDURIX36 m ago

I wouldn't bother. Most data is compressed anyway, but if you are going to …I wouldn't bother. Most data is compressed anyway, but if you are going to compress data on the fly you'll end up making the ssd do more write cycles and reduce its life. The processors in question are also not the greatest and what you recommend needs some processing power, plus extra processing power needs more power, which won't be fantastic for battery life.

I recently upgraded a black Friday (xmas present) laptop to an SSD, and my homework suggested the very same thing. Left it as it was, with the "optimization for SSD" option when cloning from the HDD
Lots to think on guys. My present laptop is this
32763133-aCA8p.jpgBut it now runs really slow, takes ages to load anything. I had twitch on but that hummed it up so removed that. Going to try deleting all the unwanted, unused progs. See if that helps. Good advice about waiting till after Christmas, not going to do much during anyway.
Thanks all.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants