Groups

Laptop Advice / Recommendations

Hi,
    Im looking to buy a Laptop from Currys/PC World and would like some recommendations for my 11 year old son please.
    My max budget is £500 and the laptop will be used for schoolwork, browsing web, watching videos and casual gaming such as sim city/the sims type games.
    I'd rather go overkill than underpowered if possible and it must be available from Currys/PC World as i need to use a voucher.
    Thanks all

7 Comments

looks decent for the price

Undoubtedly the best spec under £500, but after my recent experience with a Lenovo 500 IdeaPad I'd be prepared that you might have to send it back. Probably worth keeping an eye out over the next fortnight for offers around Black Friday/Cyber Monday...
    Edited by: "jazzuk777" 16th Nov 2016

jazzuk777

Undoubtedly the best spec under £500, but after my recent experience with … Undoubtedly the best spec under £500, but after my recent experience with a Lenovo 500 IdeaPad I'd be prepared that you might have to send it back. Probably worth keeping an eye out over the next fortnight for offers around Black Friday/Cyber Monday...

What was wrong with your Lenovo 500 IdeaPad?

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 16th Nov 2016

if your son isn't an extreme advance gamer, this could be a perfect solution:
    currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

jazzuk777

Undoubtedly the best spec under £500, but after my recent experience with … Undoubtedly the best spec under £500, but after my recent experience with a Lenovo 500 IdeaPad I'd be prepared that you might have to send it back. Probably worth keeping an eye out over the next fortnight for offers around Black Friday/Cyber Monday...

our work updated their HP to Lenovo a few months ago, since then I have gone through 2 its a think pad and did not charge. Thought it was just an issue with the one I had but bought a ideapad for kids to use and it was hopeless, so slow compared to the one in the shop. Currys gave me my money back well gift vouchers which I had bought through work cheap so I am stuck with buying a replacement from them but saw the 510 deal posted in deals and considered it but there are other comments like yours on that thread as well and if I was put off by my experiences I am definitely thinking twice after seeing these comments. Only thing is next best one is a Dell for another £79 and again you see comments about quality, another £99 and its HP but again.......just don't know what is best.

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice all. I'll keep my eyes open for the Lenovo and the Dell over the Black Friday deals

Any other recommendations to add to my list?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Can anyone share their Sky Go with me for £7.50 a month?23
      2. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1018
      3. Fitting a wired doorbell advice needed22
      4. Freesat - Dave1117

See more discussions