Groups

Laptop antivirus etc software advice for new laptop running windows 7 req.

am getting new laptop with windows 7 on it and looking to know what antivirus, spyware etc software to buy for it. my current pc is running escan and system mechanic, but iolo/sys mech didnt protect before. want to really safeguard the browsing i do for research etc as best possible.
    Is it worth going for escan again, or not.
    can anyone recommend something really good thats not gonna overload the system please or any other links or advice.
    thanks for any advice.

36 Comments

Banned

norton, nod32

in b4 avast

As mentioned; Nod32

can sort you out a license if you need

Norton has very good reviews for 2009 followed by Kaspersky and ESET (Nod32).

Normally new laptops come loaded with AV product for a year or less but if yours isn;t then I would suggest either Norton or Kaspersky or McAfee.

See the performance report ]here.

Banned

wouldnt touch nod- slows the machine down and killer to uninstal

ROKO;7364560

wouldnt touch nod- slows the machine down and killer to uninstal

bull.
    been using NOD32 and then moved to their internet security.

my system is a Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2 GB ram, 1x400gb HD, 1x 1tb hd (storage), a blu ray -rom and an ATI HD2600pro
    running Win 7 ultimate and eset smart security runs at 1460kb ram usage, just less than 1.5mb.

had no problem at all uninstalling NOD32 and upgrading it to Eset Smart Security

Banned

your nuts if you touch nod- trust me im a serious pc geek

as above post- smaller av sftw are perfect- fast and free! and no means inferior cuz its free

try- avast or avg

dont listen to the mugs who waste £££s too idle to figure out that the free sftw fundamentally same to the premium av sftw

ROKO;7364880

your nuts if you touch nod- trust me im a serious pc geekas above post- … your nuts if you touch nod- trust me im a serious pc geekas above post- smaller av sftw are perfect- fast and free! and no means inferior cuz its freetry- avast or avgdont listen to the mugs who waste £££s too idle to figure out that the free sftw fundamentally same to the premium av sftw

i dont pay for my software....

Original Poster

deadduck_145;7363802

As mentioned; Nod32 ;)can sort you out a license if you need

how much is license by way

Nothing wrong with ]MSE

Used to run AVG before my Win7 upgrade but find MSE much faster to scan and boot up.
    Has already blocked a few trojans too :thumbsup:

Original Poster

i never got on with avg before it ruined first machine

Original Poster

deadduck_145;7364905

i dont pay for my software....

does that mean your pc dead duck too, lol, sorry only joking. thx

Original Poster

the porter;7364949

try avast then seriously dont try anything else its excellent

i am the most non geeky so not savvy enough to watch the free stuff or sort out what should be updated.

i would think norton a big target for the virus hacker muppets so not sure about it. actually not sure about anything computery

Banned

dead duck your a thief

piracy not allowed here- its illegal

becareful you will be banned

ive been banned 6 times

ROKO;7364967

dead duck your a thiefpiracy not allowed here- its illegalbecareful you … dead duck your a thiefpiracy not allowed here- its illegalbecareful you will be bannedive been banned 6 times

lol lighten up duuuuuude

128plant;7364925

how much is license by way

]£30

ROKO;7364967

dead duck your a thiefpiracy not allowed here- its illegalbecareful you … dead duck your a thiefpiracy not allowed here- its illegalbecareful you will be bannedive been banned 6 times

you sound proud :?

Banned

nodenabler 3.1:)

I've used the free Avira antivirus package on my pc's for ages with no problems at all.

ROKO;7364880

your nuts if you touch nod- trust me im a serious pc geekas above post- … your nuts if you touch nod- trust me im a serious pc geekas above post- smaller av sftw are perfect- fast and free! and no means inferior cuz its freetry- avast or avgdont listen to the mugs who waste £££s too idle to figure out that the free sftw fundamentally same to the premium av sftw

you are a right idiot then if you believe that.
    SO why do AVG offer a full internet security with more features that you pay for if the free virus scanner is so good?
    money?
    well if the free one was so amazing, why not just charge for that?
    its free for home users but doesnt offer a firewall, rootkit protection or have any kind of support directly from the company.

i must be a serious PC geek who knows what he's doing then, cos NOD has ****** all over AVG for years.
    my PC is on 24/7 and it isnt slow, even with 2gb of RAM (don't need any more than that for what I do, am not a gamer)
    Eset Smart Security keeps my XP partition and my WIN 7 partition safe.
    backed up with Malwarebytes which hasnt ever let anything past it. (now that IS a bit of free software worth having)

to say AVG free isnt inferior to a full internet security suite proves your lack of knowledge here
    av-comparatives.org/ima…pdf

look at some actual reviews and see AVG gets owned by not only Eset, by Norton too!

and my advice is try different software and see what works best for you, don't listen to the mugs that cant understand the concept of a comapny charging for their product becuase it costs money to make and research into monitoring the creating and healing of viruses, infections etc.

if the free samples were really that great, people like Symantec and Kaspersky would be out of business, cos no one, businesses around the world included, would trust a paid for product.

Banned

morrk;7365047

I've used the free Avira antivirus package on my pc's for ages with no … I've used the free Avira antivirus package on my pc's for ages with no problems at all.

i had a real nightmare trying to remove this thing.......gf's license has just run out as well. im hoping for no problems this time as i ended up havint to reinstall windows:oops:

the porter;7365016

lol just coz its free doesnt mean its bobbins it self updates you dont … lol just coz its free doesnt mean its bobbins it self updates you dont have to do anything or go and pay for bloatware then norton if you want to be parted from your hard earned :whistling:

proving you know nowt about the current symantec products either.

i know past reputation is hard to get away from but if you actually got your heads out from your backsides and readf some test reviews you'd see...or well you probably wouldnt tho, cos Norton is the devil.

Original Poster

ok whats the best reviews cos getting a little confused now.

128plant;7366005

ok whats the best reviews cos getting a little confused now.

Just look at Microsoft's antivirus = Its free and simple to use and updates itself.
    it doesn't run out or need re-installing
    you can't go wrong.
    I've been using it since I upgraded to windows7
    microsoft.com/Sec…ls/

Best products of 2009 according to the unbiased reviews via av comparatives.org

Symantec (Norton internet Security)
    Kaspersky
    Eset (Nod32/Smart Security)

Avira scores well in low system resources

Avast and Microsoft get some decent mentions too.

AVG isnt placed in any of the awards

Banned

ROKO;7364880

EPIC FAIL - AVG :whistling::giggle:

Banned

slackrat77;7366094

Best products of 2009 according to the unbiased reviews via av … Best products of 2009 according to the unbiased reviews via av comparatives.orgSymantec (Norton internet Security)KasperskyEset (Nod32/Smart Security)Avira scores well in low system resources Avast and Microsoft get some decent mentions too.AVG isnt placed in any of the awards

thats because its useless. You have to laugh at people saying AVG is great because it runs happily in the background on their pc. Its only when they do a scan with a different scanner, they come to realise that viruses have been running happily for months too!

Loads of people on here have reported long term viruses that AVG let through

]http//ww…=25

]http//ww…=28

]http//ww…-pc

]http//ww…=15

]http//ww…=28

Banned

Anyway, Kaspersky & Malwarebytes seem to do the job for me and its free (Barclays customer).

Original Poster

csiman;7367317

Anyway, Kaspersky & Malwarebytes seem to do the job for me and its free … Anyway, Kaspersky & Malwarebytes seem to do the job for me and its free (Barclays customer).

ho hum not with barclays. thats a bad start.

Whats the new microsoft anti virus like? Is it any good? Anyone know what its called?

twistshout;7375497

Whats the new microsoft anti virus like? Is it any good? Anyone know what … Whats the new microsoft anti virus like? Is it any good? Anyone know what its called?

DAMNOME;7366046

Just look at Microsoft's antivirus = Its free and simple to use and … Just look at Microsoft's antivirus = Its free and simple to use and updates itself.it doesn't run out or need re-installingyou can't go wrong.I've been using it since I upgraded to windows7http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Original Poster

have you any back up to this though in case something slips through.

DAMNOME;7366046

Just look at Microsoft's antivirus = Its free and simple to use and … Just look at Microsoft's antivirus = Its free and simple to use and updates itself.it doesn't run out or need re-installingyou can't go wrong.I've been using it since I upgraded to windows7http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Been reading alot of good things about this, might give it a go.

Original Poster

Goonieman;7375744

Been reading alot of good things about this, might give it a go.

well it would give me breathing space at least and then can have a look at reviews. but eset seems to be popular so far on this thread, unless am reading it wrong.

128plant;7375718

have you any back up to this though in case something slips through.

yes - download malwarebytes.org/mba…php
    update it and run it now and again just to check nothing has slipped through
    it's very good.

Don't run two antivirus programs together though.

]MSE and ]MBAM in the two links work perfectly together :thumbsup:

Banned

DAMNOME;7375853

yes - download http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.phpupdate it and run it … yes - download http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.phpupdate it and run it now and again just to check nothing has slipped throughit's very good.Don't run two antivirus programs together though.]MSE and ]MBAM in the two links work perfectly together

I would also opt for the two free ones above.

Original Poster

csiman;7378804

I would also opt for the two free ones above.

thanks that sounds like good advice.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1015
      2. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?917
      3. Are these two things distinctly different to you?2484
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17416151

See more discussions