Groups

Laptop battery life suddenly dropped

Strangely, I've recently noticed that the battery life of my laptop has dropped as the battery doesn't last as long as usual. It also doesn't charge to 100% any more.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro. Has anyone else experienced this, and has anyone got any tips on how to increase the battery life?

15 Comments

Do you leave the battery in as well as having the mains plugged in too. If you do this I have heard this drains the battery over time making the battery not hold the charge it use to.
    Edited by: "Poppyj1" 8th Nov 2016

How old is it? You may get a warranty replacement if it is 6 months old or less. There is a good chance one of the cells has died which is why it is not charging properly. Some people think freezing the battery for about 12 hours may help revive it. Personally I think you need to buy a new battery. May be worth trying a few complete discharge/charge cycles.

Original Poster

Poppyj1

Do you leave the battery in as well as having the mains plugged in too. … Do you leave the battery in as well as having the mains plugged in too. If you do this I have heard this drains the battery over time making the battery not hold the charge it use to.

Whenever I use the laptop and battery gets low, I (obviously) plug it in and continue to use it, and keep it plugged in when it reaches full charge. I have occasionally left it plugged in overnight.

paul123edwards

How old is it? You may get a warranty replacement if it is 6 months old … How old is it? You may get a warranty replacement if it is 6 months old or less. There is a good chance one of the cells has died which is why it is not charging properly. Some people think freezing the battery for about 12 hours may help revive it. Personally I think you need to buy a new battery. May be worth trying a few complete discharge/charge cycles.

Unfortunately it is several years old - how long does the average battery last?

12 months and 1 day usually !!!

Depends on battery one in my macbook is yr old and still perfect but in expecting it to die anytime hope im wrong tho lol

The symptom you describe is a classic sign of a battery reaching its end of life. Different batteries have different life expectancy, but equivalent to 500 charge/discharge cycles is probably reasonable for an original battery.

Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies.

So I'm now looking at getting a new battery - is it safe to get a non-genuine one (for a tenner, rather than a genuine one for £35)?

Eden0032

Thanks all for your replies. So I'm now looking at getting a new battery … Thanks all for your replies. So I'm now looking at getting a new battery - is it safe to get a non-genuine one (for a tenner, rather than a genuine one for £35)?

​It really depends on how much you like your laptop.

Original Poster

LetoKynes

​It really depends on how much you like your laptop.

I like it a lot...I guess that means a genuine battery would be better.

If it is only £35 for a genuine battery then, personally, I would go for that. Is the £10 battery from a reputable seller or an eBay Chinese one?

Original Poster

paul123edwards

If it is only £35 for a genuine battery then, personally, I would go for … If it is only £35 for a genuine battery then, personally, I would go for that. Is the £10 battery from a reputable seller or an eBay Chinese one?

This is the cheap battery: ebay.co.uk/itm…649?hash=item3f3c4ed3d9:g:tpEAAOSwdvpWDAbP

This is the genuine battery: pcworldbusiness.co.uk/cat…10P

Thats £45 with VAT.

Try amazon.co.uk/d/P…09U

Has warranty with it through Amazon.

Original Poster

paul123edwards

Thats £45 with VAT.Try … Thats £45 with VAT.Try https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Portable-Computer-Batteries/Battpit-trade-Laptop-Notebook-Toshiba-PA5109U-Warranty/B00TAI509O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478627176&sr=8-1&keywords=PA5109UHas warranty with it through Amazon.

Thank you..looks like this is the best option.

paul123edwards

Thats £45 with VAT.Try … Thats £45 with VAT.Try https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Portable-Computer-Batteries/Battpit-trade-Laptop-Notebook-Toshiba-PA5109U-Warranty/B00TAI509O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478627176&sr=8-1&keywords=PA5109UHas warranty with it through Amazon.

​Hi.

It is not "fulfilled by Amazon" therefore as I understand it does not come with Amazon after sales.

Warranty would be with the seller.

hottoast

​Hi. It is not "fulfilled by Amazon" therefore as I understand it does n … ​Hi. It is not "fulfilled by Amazon" therefore as I understand it does not come with Amazon after sales. Warranty would be with the seller.

Good point, thanks for the correction.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927364
      2. Spotify Family Premium share715
      3. word association Game73944490
      4. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1423

See more discussions