Laptop battery won't charge

My laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens V5535 (Viking Direct Xmas day 2008 deal if anyone remembers it!) and is about 18 months old. It still works when plugged into the mains but the battery no longer charges up anymore.

Originally the battery would last for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours but has gradually got worse. For the majority of the time I've owned the laptop it would typically last for about half an hour but recently whenever the charger lead is removed I get a critical battery warning (4% battery life remaining) and it will usually turn off within 60 seconds or less.

I use my laptop for a couple of hours every night surfing the net. I don't download much, I normally just go to forums like this, but I do have a habit of keeping multiple tabs open within the browser which I suppose puts a bit of strain on the machine.

Is there any trouble shooting advice anyone can give me or is the battery just knackered?

6 Comments

yep you need a new one, ebay is usually the cheapest place to find them. In my experience the cheaper copys are just as good as original

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

new battery time

How long should a battery be expected to last for given the use I described above?

Also when Googling I came across someone saying that some laptops still do a cycle of the battery even when the laptop is being used via the mains - which would presumably wear it out even sooner. Is this true?

Taksim_Red

How long should a battery be expected to last for given the use I … How long should a battery be expected to last for given the use I described above?Also when Googling I came across someone saying that some laptops still do a cycle of the battery even when the laptop is being used via the mains - which would presumably wear it out even sooner. Is this true?

Yes apparantly thats true, if you are running a laptop off mains it is best to remove the battery, else the constant trickle topping up from a part drained battery will wear it out sooner.

All batteries only have a certain amount charge recharge counts before they die, as cicobuff said, on mains, remove the battery, if 99.9% use is on mains, never put battery in tbh except when you need to be away from power.

Banned

"I use my laptop for a couple of hours every night surfing the net"

Did you do this with it running off the battery? if so the battery is knackered.

If you've hardly ever had it running off the battery your charger may be on the way out. On Dell laptops it gives you a warning when the charger is putting out less Watts than usual and will also display it in the BIOS, when the watts drop it won't charge the battery.

Original Poster

lumoruk

"I use my laptop for a couple of hours every night surfing the net"Did … "I use my laptop for a couple of hours every night surfing the net"Did you do this with it running off the battery? if so the battery is knackered.If you've hardly ever had it running off the battery your charger may be on the way out. On Dell laptops it gives you a warning when the charger is putting out less Watts than usual and will also display it in the BIOS, when the watts drop it won't charge the battery.

I'd normally try and use the battery by itself at the beginning of the night (due to it being easier not having to sit by the mains socket!) then as it was getting low I'd stick the charger in and charge it up while I carried on surfing at the same time. But lately it's got so bad that I have to have the charger in all the time.

You might have a good point about the amount of watts being outputted by the charger. The original charger failed after 12 months. Fujitsu told me this wasn't covered by warranty so I ended up buying a £7 third party charger on eBay as replacement. I've not had the new charger long but it's already got that problem (similar to the one earphones get) were the wires inside the plastic coating presumably become lose and you have to twiddle with the cable at the point where it enters the jack, and keep it in a specific position, just for the current to come through. I suppose there's a good chance that's affecting the wattage.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. A Nigerian prince and bit coins scam44
    2. How dangerous is Donald trump?1121
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846127
    4. Sad news about Barcelona2185

See more discussions