Groups

Laptop blank screen help

Just got an email from my dad saying that his laptop screen is blank (he's using another computer to write the email obviously).

This is what he's told me:

On Saturday by accident I hit wrong type keys. This caused what I can only describe as a grey task bar at appear on the bottom of my screen. There were icons on this grey task bar. The computer functioned ok even with the grey task bar, but it was annoying because I did not have full screen use.

On Tuesday when I came home from work I accessed my ebay site and this was ok, except I noticed slight flickering on the screen monitor. I completed a listing or two and left the computer on ebay while I answered the phone. Probably half an hour before I got back to it. The screen was then black and no matter what I did the computer wouldn,t come on and that remains the case.

Any ideas what the problem could be - and what solutions there are?

13 Comments

Original Poster

anybody?

It's broken.

Sorry, I couldnt help myself .

Try entering the model number on here if you're feeling adventurous.....Good luck !

Dead battery? Coupled with a broken charger, so he thinks It's charging but it isn't
    Edited by: "sancho1983" 2nd Apr 2011

Original Poster

sancho1983

Dead battery? Coupled with a broken charger, so he thinks It's charging … Dead battery? Coupled with a broken charger, so he thinks It's charging but it isn't

I was thinking it was something to do with the battery until he said the part about the icons on the desktop changing.....

Would the battery packs' light still be switched on if plugged in if the batter pack was dead / faulty?

Original Poster

Monkeybumcheeks

It's broken.Sorry, I couldnt help myself .Try entering the model number … It's broken.Sorry, I couldnt help myself .Try entering the model number on here if you're feeling adventurous.....Good luck !

I wouldn't have a clue how to replace a laptop screen, and secondly I live hundreds of miles away from my parents so not an option anyway....

sounds like a dead screen

it isn't a Acer Fujitsu is it by any chance?

Original Poster

Disco

sounds like a dead screenit isn't a Acer Fujitsu is it by any chance?

no its a Dell inspiron, about 2 years old

Original Poster

I've just re-read what he said to me, its not that the screen is dead its that the laptop won't power on.....it must be some sort of power issue mustn't it

There should be a light if It's charging.

My guess would be when he left it for half an hour it went dead. New charger would be my first idea

Or test the charger with a laptop that definitely works (if that's a viable option)
    Edited by: "sancho1983" 2nd Apr 2011

Original Poster

he said the lights on the power on the laptop and battery are fine....hes convinced that its something to do with hitting the wrong keys the other day

roryk83

he said the lights on the power on the laptop and battery are fine....hes … he said the lights on the power on the laptop and battery are fine....hes convinced that its something to do with hitting the wrong keys the other day

then he'd be able to see the POST / anything pre-os

Banned

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Original Poster

he took it to a repair shop and they confirmed that the screen was knackered. Think he dropped it on a tile floor a few weeks back so probably a delayed reaction from that.

Anybody know any good laptop deals on atm?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1116
      2. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay23
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?32165
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764322

See more discussions