Groups

Laptop broken, not powering on, any ideas?

Basically i thought it was the charger as before it died i had to keep wiggling the charger to keep the charge, but i got a new charger and its still dead so its not the charger, when its plugged in it doesnt even show a light its just completely dead

Its a dell latitude

13 Comments

Could be a faulty power port.

or the PSU

If it's still in warranty, speak to Dell. If not, speak to them anyway, and they should guide you through troubleshooting the issue over the phone, with the aim of providing you an out-of-warranty repair, if it can't just be fixed by shuffling parts in and out. You're under no obigation to accept an OOW repair, but pretending that you might be interested is likely to be the quickest and most accurate way of getting the system either condemed as dead, or back up and running.

Exactly the same thing has happened to me with my HP Laptop. I did the same and went out and bought a charger only to find it was completely dead!
    Was about to ask the same question as you :whistling:

I hope it's not going to cost a fortune :?

Good luck with yours OP

Go to laptopsockets.co.uk/ if they do not fix it it will not cost you anything. It will be the power jack i have had it myself.

Original Poster

thanks everyone, i think it must be the power bit but i darent try and do it myself with the sockets

if its a Dell it will be the jack socket in the lappy for the power supply, i had a dell inspirion 1300, thought i could fix it myself but ended up fecking the laptop. :x:

ho hum you live & learn, ive got a very nice door wedge now !!!

It could be a broken power socket.
    You could always disassemble it yourself and check (only do if its out of warranty and you think you can put it back together).
    If it is a broken power socket then if you're handy with a soldering iron you could just get a new one off ebay, should be around £2 delivered.

Last time i had one of these fail on a Dell, they replaced the whole motherboard. i assume most models can be sorted just by replacing the power block

http://micronotebook.com/images/dell%20jack.jpg

unknownuser;5475896

It could be a broken power socket.You could always disassemble it … It could be a broken power socket.You could always disassemble it yourself and check (only do if its out of warranty and you think you can put it back together).If it is a broken power socket then if you're handy with a soldering iron you could just get a new one off ebay, should be around £2 delivered.

i wouldnt, thats what i did, i think it has to be cleaned proffesionaly soldered, in my expericence anyhoo.

Most likely to be the socket as suggested . Two main problems ,inner pin snaps off or the pins work loose [dry solder joint] .I repaired one of mine a few years ago , buying the socket from ebay [£4.99], a complete strip down is required , not for the faint hearted as will be lots and lots of screws ,many at differing lengths . I repaired one at work the other day , again a full strip ,but this time the center pin had work loose from the motherboard .A bit of solder did the job and it's working again.
    The company on ebay charged £50 plus postage for the privelage of changing the socket. You ..can ... do them yourself.

ChiliDog08;5475739

Exactly the same thing has happened to me with my HP Laptop. I did the … Exactly the same thing has happened to me with my HP Laptop. I did the same and went out and bought a charger only to find it was completely dead! Was about to ask the same question as you :whistling:I hope it's not going to cost a fortune :?Good luck with yours OP

we have just had the same problem with our G70 105ea lappy, we wrote to hp asking them to collect it as it wasnt powering up either and they took it last wed, delivered it tues and replaced the transformer part of the power lead, works a treat now

maybe you should contact them, we went through their site, you need serial numbers and battery numbers, they are very thorough to make sure your one of their customers :w00t:

btw the lappy was bought last december and we werent charged hth

richp;5475980

i wouldnt, thats what i did, i think it has to be cleaned proffesionaly … i wouldnt, thats what i did, i think it has to be cleaned proffesionaly soldered, in my expericence anyhoo.

If you know how to solder making sure there are no dry joints and are confident in dismantling and assembling the laptop (not that hard as long as you document/remember where every screw goes), then you should be fine.

Found this site: when i was looking to fix mine: instructables.com/id/…ir/ - I wouldn't advise using that approach though,

A quick search on google now has come up with:

defectivekit.com/200…er/
    instructables.com/id/…ut/
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944490
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1423
      3. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers1929
      4. love affairs1547

See more discussions