Laptop Buying Advice

Posted 8th Jul
Hi All,.

Need a bit of help in the laptop purchasing minefield....

Been searching high and low for the right one....with is as much spec at the lowest price.

15.6 inch screen, 8gb ram, 256 to 512gb ssd, windows, WiFi, Bluetooth, memory card slot, 2 to 3 usb's, ethernet port, full size keyboard with numerical pad.

Thats the short list of spec requirements

Cost, below 400quid. between 350quid and 380quid would be good.

Been looking at some Chinese brands like the Telcast F15 and the Kuu K1 / K2.

There's also the following from more well known manufacturers:

Lenovo V145 A9 15.6-inch Laptop, AMD A9-9425, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro

Lenovo V145-15AST 15.6" Full HD Laptop AMD A9-9425 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

the two Lenovo's have slightly different serials but could be the same

you also have stuff from Asus and Acer...

Hope someone can advise and point me to something that fits my needs....and is of course an amazing HotUKDeal!!!!

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

38 Comments
What processor are you hoping for on this "Holy grail" sub- £400 laptop??? Those Lenovo's are A9 based. For comparison, a Ryzen 3 or Intel i3 will outgun them. If speed/performance isn't a huge issue, fine. I'm betting it is though.

You'd best consider 'refurbished' to be an option on that sort of spec. Otherwise:

41336534-XETMf.jpg
Phsycronix08/07/2020 22:55

What processor are you hoping for on this "Holy grail" sub- £400 laptop??? …What processor are you hoping for on this "Holy grail" sub- £400 laptop??? Those Lenovo's are A9 based. For comparison, a Ryzen 3 or Intel i3 will outgun them. If speed/performance isn't a huge issue, fine. I'm betting it is though.You'd best consider 'refurbished' to be an option on that sort of spec. Otherwise:[Image]

Thanks for the feedback.....I won't be using it for games, to watch films or listen to music.

Browsing, documents and school work....that'll be a zx spectrum then

The ability to multi task would certainly be required....
sxxychocolate08/07/2020 23:03

Thanks for the feedback.....I won't be using it for games, to watch films …Thanks for the feedback.....I won't be using it for games, to watch films or listen to music.Browsing, documents and school work....that'll be a zx spectrum then The ability to multi task would certainly be required....

For the sort of spec you state (and for it to be reasonably future-proof) you're really looking at £5-600. especially 512Gb SSD. Full-size keyboard limits choice somewhat too.

Are you wanting new or is a refurb or an Ebay "gamble" an option?
Gotta be new...I dislike refurb. The thing is, I'm still using an 11 year old laptop.....I personally don't think I'll need to spend between 500 and 600quid for my needs.

I'll be okay with 256gb ssd too, as I have a 5gb hdd attached to my current laptop.

SSD prices are coming down so could upgrade the SSD in due course.....

400quid is the limit.....that is the challenge....the search for the grail goes on
Looking at Ebay. 15% off computing - Ends 10th July.
ebay.co.uk/e/_…=nc

Plenty of options for smaller screens (14") but you want 15.6. Plenty of options for 4Gb Ram (which by the sounds of your requirements would be fine) but you want 8.

Full size keyboard. That's the crunch. There are a few by seller "Stockmustgo" but; again; all refurbished. Under £400 though and a few nice machines.

Good luck on your search. If it doesn't pan out, may I suggest a few others:

Fountain of Youth
Loch Ness Monster
Bigfoot

All the best, Phsy.
Phsycronix08/07/2020 22:55

What processor are you hoping for on this "Holy grail" sub- £400 laptop??? …What processor are you hoping for on this "Holy grail" sub- £400 laptop??? Those Lenovo's are A9 based. For comparison, a Ryzen 3 or Intel i3 will outgun them. If speed/performance isn't a huge issue, fine. I'm betting it is though.You'd best consider 'refurbished' to be an option on that sort of spec. Otherwise:[Image]

I took up computers veeeery late in life so I understand little of the myteries of their workings.
I was having a little problem sorted when my guy (who is a personal friend) said he would add 4gb ram for me for £15 so I agreed.
I did not noticed any difference.
I have always seen playing games as a consumer of time without giving a payback.
I am not wealthy but spend time maximising our buying power in every aspect of our lives.
I enjoy my retirement as I used to work 12/15 hour days ( I was self employed) until my compulsory retirement at 68 due to an accident fracturing my spine.
I ask for advice to save buying an unsuitable laptop and maximise my bang for my buck.
Operating speed is not an important factor.
Many thanks,
Roger.
landros108/07/2020 23:48

I took up computers veeeery late in life so I understand little of the …I took up computers veeeery late in life so I understand little of the myteries of their workings.I was having a little problem sorted when my guy (who is a personal friend) said he would add 4gb ram for me for £15 so I agreed.I did not noticed any difference.I have always seen playing games as a consumer of time without giving a payback.I am not wealthy but spend time maximising our buying power in every aspect of our lives.I enjoy my retirement as I used to work 12/15 hour days ( I was self employed) until my compulsory retirement at 68 due to an accident fracturing my spine.I ask for advice to save buying an unsuitable laptop and maximise my bang for my buck.Operating speed is not an important factor.Many thanks, Roger.

Um...........ok?

Trying to read between the lines here. Are you also asking about laptops? Or are you asking your "personal friend" but don't trust their advice?

4gb of Ram won't make a particularly huge leap - performance wise. Especially if the bottleneck is the processor. A balance is required.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 9th Jul
Phsycronix08/07/2020 23:52

Um...........ok? Trying to read between the lines here. Are …Um...........ok? Trying to read between the lines here. Are you also asking about laptops? Or are you asking your "personal friend" but don't trust their advice?4gb of Ram won't make a particularly huge leap - performance wise. Especially if the bottleneck is the processor. A balance is required.

I'll leave that response to you, as you sound like you know what you're talking about

I like nice things.....but like I mentioned best bang for buck while taking into consideration, available spend and initial requirements.

I do like that teclast F15, sold directly by Amazon, so any issues, it goes straight back. The the processor though, worries me. Going by the reviews, it ain't bad and would suit my needs.

As for the fountain of youth, I going more along the lines of Prime Day....but I hear its been pushed back to October
Edited by: "sxxychocolate" 9th Jul
Phsycronix08/07/2020 23:52

Um...........ok? Trying to read between the lines here. Are …Um...........ok? Trying to read between the lines here. Are you also asking about laptops? Or are you asking your "personal friend" but don't trust their advice?4gb of Ram won't make a particularly huge leap - performance wise. Especially if the bottleneck is the processor. A balance is required.

I don't like to take advantage of his friendship as he will only charge me cost price of whatever he does for me.

LAPTOP-I8VJE0HP.This is what I have now.
Phsycronix08/07/2020 23:39

Looking at Ebay. 15% off computing - Ends 10th …Looking at Ebay. 15% off computing - Ends 10th July.https://www.ebay.co.uk/e/_electronics/15-off-computing/laptops-netbooks/175672?_udlo=1&_udhi=400&rt=ncPlenty of options for smaller screens (14") but you want 15.6. Plenty of options for 4Gb Ram (which by the sounds of your requirements would be fine) but you want 8.Full size keyboard. That's the crunch. There are a few by seller "Stockmustgo" but; again; all refurbished. Under £400 though and a few nice machines.Good luck on your search. If it doesn't pan out, may I suggest a few others:Fountain of YouthLoch Ness MonsterBigfoot All the best, Phsy.

I have a 17.3" LAPTOP-I8VJE0HP at the moment,
Many thanks,
Roger.
sxxychocolate09/07/2020 00:17

I'll leave that response to you, as you sound like you know what you're …I'll leave that response to you, as you sound like you know what you're talking about I like nice things.....but like I mentioned best bang for buck while taking into consideration, available spend and initial requirements.I do like that teclast F15, sold directly by Amazon, so any issues, it goes straight back. The the processor though, worries me. Going by the reviews, it ain't bad and would suit my needs.As for the fountain of youth, I going more along the lines of Prime Day....but I hear its been pushed back to October

Your help is much appreciated,
Roger.
Phsycronix08/07/2020 23:39

Looking at Ebay. 15% off computing - Ends 10th …Looking at Ebay. 15% off computing - Ends 10th July.https://www.ebay.co.uk/e/_electronics/15-off-computing/laptops-netbooks/175672?_udlo=1&_udhi=400&rt=ncPlenty of options for smaller screens (14") but you want 15.6. Plenty of options for 4Gb Ram (which by the sounds of your requirements would be fine) but you want 8.Full size keyboard. That's the crunch. There are a few by seller "Stockmustgo" but; again; all refurbished. Under £400 though and a few nice machines.Good luck on your search. If it doesn't pan out, may I suggest a few others:Fountain of YouthLoch Ness MonsterBigfoot All the best, Phsy.

Unless I am searching wrong most offers on Ebay come from America which adds £100 + to the prices.
Thanks ,
Roger.
No worries but what are you actually asking?

Your current laptop has a nice big screen.

From the sounds of things, your friend is bumping up the 🐏, which should.

Cost of the work is nice and cheap

If possible you should look to install an SSD. Move windows to the SSD, which make things start up very quickly indeed.

On the other ✋, if things fine as they are, then leave them be and stick with the extra 🐏 upgrade.

Only you know what you need as such

Unfortunately not the best time to buy a new laptop....they really raised prices
Copy the url exactly that Phsy mentions above
Edited by: "sxxychocolate" 9th Jul
Phsycronix08/07/2020 23:08

For the sort of spec you state (and for it to be reasonably future-proof) …For the sort of spec you state (and for it to be reasonably future-proof) you're really looking at £5-600. especially 512Gb SSD. Full-size keyboard limits choice somewhat too.Are you wanting new or is a refurb or an Ebay "gamble" an option?

My LAPTOP-I8VJE0HP came with a 12 months guarantee and it was troublesome for all that time.
I don't mind used if I get as it works when I get it,
Many thanks,
Roger.
sxxychocolate09/07/2020 01:08

No worries but what are you actually asking?Your current laptop has …No worries but what are you actually asking?Your current laptop has a nice big screen.From the sounds of things, your friend is bumping up the 🐏, which should.Cost of the work is nice and cheap If possible you should look to install an SSD. Move windows to the SSD, which make things start up very quickly indeed.On the other ✋, if things fine as they are, then leave them be and stick with the extra 🐏 upgrade.Only you know what you need as such Unfortunately not the best time to buy a new laptop....they really raised prices

The problem is the hinges are breaking away from the screen and is held together with epoxy and lots of gaffer tape,
Many thanks,
Roger.
landros109/07/2020 01:15

The problem is the hinges are breaking away from the screen and is held …The problem is the hinges are breaking away from the screen and is held together with epoxy and lots of gaffer tape,Many thanks, Roger.

Yep, definitely time to get a new laptop
sxxychocolate09/07/2020 01:08

No worries but what are you actually asking?Your current laptop has …No worries but what are you actually asking?Your current laptop has a nice big screen.From the sounds of things, your friend is bumping up the 🐏, which should.Cost of the work is nice and cheap If possible you should look to install an SSD. Move windows to the SSD, which make things start up very quickly indeed.On the other ✋, if things fine as they are, then leave them be and stick with the extra 🐏 upgrade.Only you know what you need as such Unfortunately not the best time to buy a new laptop....they really raised prices

I have noticed that but I am OK for the moment as long as I don't have to close it.
Many thanks,
Roger.
Just type laptops for sale in Google and bingo....buy from a reputable seller and manufacturer....buy additional support guarantee. That way you get all the support and back up you need...in theory anyway
Even places like CEX, ebay, amazon warehouse can be a good bet.....remember, argos and curry's have eBay stores as do many of the big laptop manufacturers....
Thanks for everyone's thoughts and input.....let's all sleep on it 😴

See what morsels of helpful info come through later today
sxxychocolate09/07/2020 01:21

Even places like CEX, ebay, amazon warehouse can be a good …Even places like CEX, ebay, amazon warehouse can be a good bet.....remember, argos and curry's have eBay stores as do many of the big laptop manufacturers....

Unfortunately we have both been in lockdown for the last 4 months due to health issues so CEX is not practical.
I have looked on Amazon and If i see something I want one of my children will send for it at I do not have (or need) prime.
Many thanks,
Roger.
Totally understand

By the way check out cex online
sxxychocolate09/07/2020 01:16

Yep, definitely time to get a new laptop

Its usable but the build quality has gone right down compared to my last one which gave me many years of fault free service.
Only seem to last for the warranty and a few months making them a throw away item which is not good for the environment,
Many thanks,
Roger..
I usually get my head down about 3,
Sleep Tight
Right, I made an executive decision....

Ordered the Kuu K1 i5, 8gb, 256gb laptop from the Kuu Official Store on Aliexpress for 301quid.

Delivery from Spain...arriving towards the end of the month....I hope 🙏
Considering I do all my work on my note 9.....I'm starting to think why I spent 300quid?......oh yeah, must think about the rest of the family 👪
landros109/07/2020 00:54

I don't like to take advantage of his friendship as he will only charge me …I don't like to take advantage of his friendship as he will only charge me cost price of whatever he does for me.

But that's what friends are for, Landros1. To help us when we are in need? No?

landros109/07/2020 01:03

Unless I am searching wrong most offers on Ebay come from America which …Unless I am searching wrong most offers on Ebay come from America which adds £100 + to the prices.Thanks ,Roger.

I think you must be searching wrong then, my friend.

You must make sure you are on ebay.uk - not ebay.com. Then, when viewing a listing make sure to check the origin of the product - i.e. where it will ship from. Yes, it is true that some sellers lie about this (especially Chinese sellers/resellers) but that is out of your control. If in doubt, check "feedback" of the seller as many buyers will point out if something shipped from outside the UK.

To have a better result when viewing things on Ebay, look down the left-hand side of the screen where all the 'search' criteria are. There will be a box you can put a tick in for "UK" only. This will help to narrow down the amount of products displayed.

landros109/07/2020 01:15

The problem is the hinges are breaking away from the screen and is held …The problem is the hinges are breaking away from the screen and is held together with epoxy and lots of gaffer tape,Many thanks, Roger.

Were you aware that you could attach a monitor to your laptop (if your laptop is still fine but just the screen is getting iffy) and use that instead? Your laptop will no doubt have a display port for an external monitor. You could effectively remove the laptops screen altogether! In all seriousness though, I'm sure you'd rather have a proper, fully functional laptop though, eh?

I've seen your other thread now so your question(s) are making more sense to me now For the budget you have in mind, you should be able to get a very nice machine. Keep an eye (or do a search on HUKD) for "Laptop" deals that are happening all the time. Make a list of the 'minimum' spec you feel you need and something will pop up.

It sounds to me like you need:

Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 or Intel i5 (or a 7 in either if you can afford it)

Memory (Ram) - 8Gb (or more but 8 is fine for general use.)

Hard disk - 1Tb HDD (but I would recommend for speed, a smaller SSD (solid state drive) for the operating system (Win 10) and another mechanical HDD or external drive for files and data - i.e. pictures, movies, music & docs.)

Any graphics - e.g. integrated (as you don't have a 'gaming' requirement.)

Screen - This is a personal thing. If you can do with a slightly smaller screen then 15.6" is the norm and will have much more choice. 17"+ is great but less prevalent as is more a "gaming" laptop. Of course, you can buy a gaming laptop which will still do everything you need it to do. If you want good viewing angles from your screen, avoid those with "TN" panels. You want "IPS" (In Plane Switching) which will provide better, richer colour. Before IPS, we were all using standard screens so you may not care too much.

Everything seems to be about "speed" today. People are obsessed by it. Me - for daily use, the machine I'm using right now is a 2007 Dell with 2Gb of Ram (yes 2!) and it does all I need it to. I swapped the old mechanical HDD out for an SSD and it flies. Boots in under 15 seconds.

I love Dell - always have. I have other Dells and not one has been a lick of trouble. Like everything though, that can come at a higher price than other brands. Horses for courses, as they say! Hehe. Anyway, I hope this is of some kind of help to you but hey, you may be even more confused now! That's computers for you...

Kindest regards, Phsy.
sxxychocolate09/07/2020 10:07

Right, I made an executive decision....Ordered the Kuu K1 i5, 8gb, 256gb …Right, I made an executive decision....Ordered the Kuu K1 i5, 8gb, 256gb laptop from the Kuu Official Store on Aliexpress for 301quid.Delivery from Spain...arriving towards the end of the month....I hope 🙏

Aliexpress! From Spain!

You're braver than I thought.

Oh well, lets hope it all works out and there are no problems eh? If there are...
Phsycronix09/07/2020 12:30

Aliexpress! From Spain!You're braver than I thought. Oh well, …Aliexpress! From Spain!You're braver than I thought. Oh well, lets hope it all works out and there are no problems eh? If there are...

Brave?.....Definitely. I'm known as Action Jackson in some circles....nearly got offered a part in The Expendables

Not worried about tech issues as they gave me your details for tech support!!

I have a good feeling....but there is always that nagging doubt

I'll report back in due course
sxxychocolate09/07/2020 14:05

Brave?.....Definitely. I'm known as Action Jackson in some …Brave?.....Definitely. I'm known as Action Jackson in some circles....nearly got offered a part in The Expendables Not worried about tech issues as they gave me your details for tech support!! I have a good feeling....but there is always that nagging doubt I'll report back in due course

Well, "Scali-express" as I like to refer to it, does have a bit of a rep. Any probs and you'll be shipping it back to Spain (or China.) So, yes - brave.

I take it you did your homework on the spec? The listing is really higgledy-piggledy but if it's the one I'm looking at, it has a 5th Gen dual core processor from 2015, "Iris" graphics - DDR3 Ram and no Ethernet port. You'll need a USB adapter if you use wired internet. Also, Mini-HDMI - if that's any issue? Not forgetting the plug adapter (which could be one of those nasty-cheap China ones) too.

I don't want to get all "Negative-nancy" but I really hope you haven't made a rod for your own back. Do keep us posted. I want to hear a success story but I'll cross everything I can!
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 9th Jul
sxxychocolate09/07/2020 10:09

Considering I do all my work on my note 9.....I'm starting to think why I …Considering I do all my work on my note 9.....I'm starting to think why I spent 300quid?......oh yeah, must think about the rest of the family 👪

I don't understand much of what my Note 9 does.
I Literally had it free last year when I brought a Samsung Q9 TV which is superb(y).
landros109/07/2020 19:18

I don't understand much of what my Note 9 does. I Literally had …I don't understand much of what my Note 9 does. I Literally had it free last year when I brought a Samsung Q9 TV which is superb(y).

Think of the note 9, which incidentally is still a brilliant phone, as a pocket computer that you can also call, text and email on.

Use Google smart assistant....the list is MASSIVE!

View content, browse, write, listen to music.....you can probably control your TV with it via an app....

Look it up, do some research, look on YouTube....before you know it, you'll be a tech guru

Then again, sell the note 9 for a tidy sum and buy yourself a decent but cheaper option
Edited by: "sxxychocolate" 10th Jul
Phsycronix09/07/2020 12:27

But that's what friends are for, Landros1. To help us when we are in need? …But that's what friends are for, Landros1. To help us when we are in need? No? I think you must be searching wrong then, my friend. You must make sure you are on ebay.uk - not ebay.com. Then, when viewing a listing make sure to check the origin of the product - i.e. where it will ship from. Yes, it is true that some sellers lie about this (especially Chinese sellers/resellers) but that is out of your control. If in doubt, check "feedback" of the seller as many buyers will point out if something shipped from outside the UK.To have a better result when viewing things on Ebay, look down the left-hand side of the screen where all the 'search' criteria are. There will be a box you can put a tick in for "UK" only. This will help to narrow down the amount of products displayed.Were you aware that you could attach a monitor to your laptop (if your laptop is still fine but just the screen is getting iffy) and use that instead? Your laptop will no doubt have a display port for an external monitor. You could effectively remove the laptops screen altogether! In all seriousness though, I'm sure you'd rather have a proper, fully functional laptop though, eh?I've seen your other thread now so your question(s) are making more sense to me now For the budget you have in mind, you should be able to get a very nice machine. Keep an eye (or do a search on HUKD) for "Laptop" deals that are happening all the time. Make a list of the 'minimum' spec you feel you need and something will pop up.It sounds to me like you need:Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 or Intel i5 (or a 7 in either if you can afford it)Memory (Ram) - 8Gb (or more but 8 is fine for general use.)Hard disk - 1Tb HDD (but I would recommend for speed, a smaller SSD (solid state drive) for the operating system (Win 10) and another mechanical HDD or external drive for files and data - i.e. pictures, movies, music & docs.)Any graphics - e.g. integrated (as you don't have a 'gaming' requirement.)Screen - This is a personal thing. If you can do with a slightly smaller screen then 15.6" is the norm and will have much more choice. 17"+ is great but less prevalent as is more a "gaming" laptop. Of course, you can buy a gaming laptop which will still do everything you need it to do. If you want good viewing angles from your screen, avoid those with "TN" panels. You want "IPS" (In Plane Switching) which will provide better, richer colour. Before IPS, we were all using standard screens so you may not care too much.Everything seems to be about "speed" today. People are obsessed by it. Me - for daily use, the machine I'm using right now is a 2007 Dell with 2Gb of Ram (yes 2!) and it does all I need it to. I swapped the old mechanical HDD out for an SSD and it flies. Boots in under 15 seconds.I love Dell - always have. I have other Dells and not one has been a lick of trouble. Like everything though, that can come at a higher price than other brands. Horses for courses, as they say! Hehe. Anyway, I hope this is of some kind of help to you but hey, you may be even more confused now! That's computers for you...Kindest regards, Phsy.

As mentioned I have a 17.3" LAPTOP-I8VJE0HP at the moment which fulfills ALL my needs at the age of 75 as I don't EVER play game's.
Most current models as you know SSD but to me I don't need speed and the trade off is a MUCH smaller capacity.
My current 17.3" screen helps my old eyes so I shall probably stay with it and sacrifice the sophistication of newer machines.
I will check (I didn't know there were 2) that I am on the correct Ebay.UK immediately.
You have given me a lot of good advice (which I have printed off) for which I will be eternally grateful.
The idea of a monitor does not appeal too me as that is how I started with a desktop and having to sit in the office to use it!
I agree with you and prefer an older model than this flimsy piece of crap that I have now.
E.G. I have a 15 year old Honda Accord EX that has never had to have a breakdown crew to it in the 11 years that have owned it.
Thanks again Phsycronix for taking the time to give me so much information.
I have learned a lot of stuff stuff from this thread,
Many thanks to you all,
Roger.
landros109/07/2020 20:50

As mentioned I have a 17.3" LAPTOP-I8VJE0HP at the moment which fulfills …As mentioned I have a 17.3" LAPTOP-I8VJE0HP at the moment which fulfills ALL my needs at the age of 75 as I don't EVER play game's.Most current models as you know SSD but to me I don't need speed and the trade off is a MUCH smaller capacity.My current 17.3" screen helps my old eyes so I shall probably stay with it and sacrifice the sophistication of newer machines.I will check (I didn't know there were 2) that I am on the correct Ebay.UK immediately.You have given me a lot of good advice (which I have printed off) for which I will be eternally grateful.The idea of a monitor does not appeal too me as that is how I started with a desktop and having to sit in the office to use it!I agree with you and prefer an older model than this flimsy piece of crap that I have now.E.G. I have a 15 year old Honda Accord EX that has never had to have a breakdown crew to it in the 11 years that have owned it.Thanks again Phsycronix for taking the time to give me so much information.

I understand what you are saying re. gaming but just because it's called a "gaming" laptop shouldn't rule it out as a viable choice. Gaming laptops will usually be quick, efficient and most of all have a level of future-proofing other lesser laptops won't have.

SSD are not all about size. You need to think of them in a different way. They are the equivalent of a very big USB stick. This means the 'drive' has no mechanical "moving" parts (like an old HDD) so:

A) Will last longer (in theory) due to construction
B) Mean access times are greatly reduced from even the fastest HDD
C) Will allow the laptop to use less power than for a typical, mechanical drive
D) No operational noise from an SSD - over the spinning up and clicking/whirring from HDD
E) Has minimal heat generation - which means less fan operation/noise from the laptop

Ideally, a 256Gb (or greater) SSD will be enough for the OS (Windows etc.) to operate and leave enough space for updates/programs etc. Then you can use your external drive(s) for excess data requirements.

I fully understand you wish to remain with a larger screen. It does limit the options available as; again; 17"+ screens tend to be desk-based gaming rigs - i.e. they are not especially meant to be lugged around like a 'portable' smaller laptop but if that's what you want, then that's what you want, eh?

Good motor, the Honda. They make them to last. Shame they don't make laptops!

By the way - I can find nothing pertaining to the laptop you have now. It's not important but I am curious. Google reveals little as to that being a model number so I couldn't see what the exact spec of yours is. I'm taking a guess that it's an "HP" laptop? Apart from that...

P.S. - There are a lot more than 2 Ebays! Most importantly though, it's ebay.co.uk that's our marketplace. Just make sure when viewing a listing that the item is shipped from the UK (if that's what you need) as there are a lot of China sellers that advertise as UK but either ship from overseas or dropship from elsewhere. Every day is a school day!
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 11th Jul
Phsycronix10/07/2020 12:33

I understand what you are saying re. gaming but just because it's called a …I understand what you are saying re. gaming but just because it's called a "gaming" laptop shouldn't rule it out as a viable choice. Gaming laptops will usually be quick, efficient and most of all have a level of future-proofing other lesser laptops will have.SSD are not all about size. You need to think of them in a different way. They are the equivalent of a very big USB stick. This means the 'drive' has no mechanical "moving" parts (like an old HDD) so:A) Will last longer (in theory) due to constructionB) Mean access times are greatly reduced from even the fastest HDDC) Will allow the laptop to use less power than for a typical, mechanical driveD) No operational noise from an SSD - over the spinning up and clicking/whirring from HDDE) Has minimal heat generation - which means less fan operation/noise from the laptopIdeally, a 256Gb (or greater) SSD will be enough for the OS (Windows etc.) to operate and leave enough space for updates/programs etc. Then you can use your external drive(s) for excess data requirements.I fully understand you wish to remain with a larger screen. It does limit the options available as; again; 17"+ screens tend to be desk-based gaming rigs - i.e. they are not especially meant to be lugged around like a 'portable' smaller laptop but if that's what you want, then that's what you want, eh? Good motor, the Honda. They make them to last. Shame they don't make laptops! By the way - I can find nothing pertaining to the laptop you have now. It's not important but I am curious. Google reveals little as to that being a model number so I couldn't see what the exact spec of yours is. I'm taking a guess that it's an "HP" laptop? Apart from that... P.S. - There are a lot more than 2 Ebays! Most importantly though, it's www.ebay.co.uk that's our marketplace. Just make sure when viewing a listing that the item is shipped from the UK (if that's what you need) as there are a lot of China sellers that advertise as UK but either ship from overseas or dropship from elsewhere. Every day is a school day!

It seems to me that a gaming quality processor can multiply the cost and for me offer little gain.
My processor is an A8 7410 with an ADM Radeon R5 2.20GHT.(Means little to me)
My computer guy said my processor is equal to an I5 with 12 GB ram and 1TB hd which have proved more than capable except the appalling build quality from day 1.
I feel that laptops that can cost 1000s shoud not be a throw away product as that's not good for the environment or the pocket.
Many thanks,
Roger.
landros110/07/2020 15:35

It seems to me that a gaming quality processor can multiply the cost and …It seems to me that a gaming quality processor can multiply the cost and for me offer little gain.My processor is an A8 7410 with an ADM Radeon R5 2.20GHT.(Means little to me)My computer guy said my processor is equal to an I5 with 12 GB ram and 1TB hd which have proved more than capable except the appalling build quality from day 1.I feel that laptops that can cost 1000s shoud not be a throw away product as that's not good for the environment or the pocket. Many thanks, Roger.

Ok Roger. You seem to know what you want.

Good luck with your search.

Regards, Phsy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants