Expired

Laptop charger not working

37 replies
Found 23rd Mar 2009
As above...all it says is plugged in, not charging....

Its really annoying I have 5% battery life and it just wont charge, I have windows vista if this means anything, I have already gone onto device manager and re-installed it, but still not working.

Any help, much appreciated xxxx

37 Comments

Banned

have you tried turning it on at the socket?

Original Poster

Haha yes the blue light is on, and yes it is also plugged in.....

Do you mean that the battery is not charging? Maybe it has come to the end of its life.

pull it out put it back in again
or
pull it out, restart, then plug in again.

Original Poster

Its a new laptop!

*katie*;4718034

Haha yes the blue light is on, and yes it is also plugged in.....

Not sure.

Depends on the laptop.

We got a make or model to hand?

Ad

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;4718051

pull it out put it back in againorpull it out, restart, then plug in … pull it out put it back in againorpull it out, restart, then plug in again.

Done it already and got nothing x

I'd take it back to where you bought it.

Original Poster

Adam2050;4718055

Not sure.Depends on the laptop.We got a make or model to hand?Ad

Dell studio is that it lol x

Original Poster

Predikuesi;4718060

I'd take it back to where you bought it.

Well its from currys and im on 63 days just out of 3month gaurantee, so they want me to send it off or get in touch with dell, which i have tried with no luck x

*katie*;4718062

Dell studio is that it lol x

Not fully.

But its enough to go on if you bought it from Tesco. I think are the only outlet that do these take it back just ask for a replacement etc.

Or phone up dell for assistance.

Currys do dell now?

Ad

mine did exactly that
stuck on 46% one day
goes down, charges to that then stops, exact same message!
is it a HP? they will replace something for free, as im sure others will if its new
if u find a fix, please please let me know
Rob

Original Poster

Adam2050;4718074

Not fully.But its enough to go on if you bought it from Tesco. I think … Not fully.But its enough to go on if you bought it from Tesco. I think are the only outlet that do these take it back just ask for a replacement etc.Or phone up dell for assistance.Currys do dell now?Yea mine was currys i got the blue laptop!!Ad

Robcampo;4718075

mine did exactly thatstuck on 46% one daygoes down, charges to that then … mine did exactly thatstuck on 46% one daygoes down, charges to that then stops, exact same message!is it a HP? they will replace something for free, as im sure others will if its newif u find a fix, please please let me knowRob

Ok hun thanks babes x

Keep plugged in and remove the battery for a minute, put it back.

Occasionally some laptops do this, it will work OK after you do the battery thing above and also plug and unplug the power plug a few times.

Original Poster

pghstochaj;4718087

Keep plugged in and remove the battery for a minute, put it … Keep plugged in and remove the battery for a minute, put it back.Occasionally some laptops do this, it will work OK after you do the battery thing above and also plug and unplug the power plug a few times.

I tried that and the laptop went on stand by as not enough power.....I'l do it again though xx

*katie*;4718080

Ok hun thanks babes x

dellbatteryprogram.com/

Check this katie. If any of the models match might be of some help.

Ad

*katie*;4718101

I tried that and the laptop went on stand by as not enough power.....I'l … I tried that and the laptop went on stand by as not enough power.....I'l do it again though xx

You might actually have a problem then, it should be exactly as it says "plugged in, not charging". It should be providing enough power, just not charging for whatever reason.

Original Poster

Adam2050;4718107

http://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Check this katie. If any of the models … http://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Check this katie. If any of the models match might be of some help.Ad

How can i see the rest of the name of my laptop? xx

Was it a refurb? I'm surprised you only got a three month guarantee

*katie*;4718119

How can i see the rest of the name of my laptop? xx

Look on the base of the model.

It should have a couple of numbers on there.

Also the battery has model number and manufacturer code.

Ad

Predikuesi;4718125

Was it a refurb? I'm surprised you only got a three month guarantee

+1 Yes I just thought that. Currys have to offer a 12 month warranty by law (I thought).

They do on there online laptops.

Even on refurbs.

Ad

Original Poster

[QUOTE=Predikuesi;4718125]Was it a refurb? I'm surprised you only got a three month guarantee[/QUOTE

Nope brand new, its under return no quibble gaurantee thing for 3months everything else goes to dell apparantly xxx

*katie*;4718150

[QUOTE=Predikuesi;4718125]Was it a refurb? I'm surprised you only got a … [QUOTE=Predikuesi;4718125]Was it a refurb? I'm surprised you only got a three month guarantee[/QUOTENope brand new, its under return no quibble gaurantee thing for 3months everything else goes to dell apparantly xxx

Ah okay it has a 12 month warranty with dell then.

Ad

Original Poster

studio 1737 xx

Original Poster

Adam2050;4718158

[QUOTE=*katie*;4718150]Ah okay it has a 12 month warranty with dell … [QUOTE=*katie*;4718150]Ah okay it has a 12 month warranty with dell then.Ad

So what do i do with that lol? send it to dell? xx

*katie*;4718150

[quote=Predikuesi;4718125]Was it a refurb? I'm surprised you only got a … [quote=Predikuesi;4718125]Was it a refurb? I'm surprised you only got a three month guarantee[/QUOTENope brand new, its under return no quibble gaurantee thing for 3months everything else goes to dell apparantly xxx

I don't think they can do that. You purchased it from Currys not Dell. Currys are responsible.

Original Poster

Predikuesi;4718171

[quote=*katie*;4718150]I don't think they can do that. You purchased it … [quote=*katie*;4718150]I don't think they can do that. You purchased it from Currys not Dell. Currys are responsible.

ooo really? my currys said that i rang them and they said after there gaurantee i need to get in touch with dell x

*katie*;4718163

[QUOTE=Adam2050;4718158]So what do i do with that lol? send it to dell? xx

Talk to currys first again.

I agree with him, they can't usually do that.

Then go to dell.

AD

Original Poster

Adam2050;4718186

[QUOTE=*katie*;4718163]Talk to currys first again.I agree with him, they … [QUOTE=*katie*;4718163]Talk to currys first again.I agree with him, they can't usually do that.Then go to dell.AD

Ok i will ring them again tomorrow, so what if they say no can do? x

*katie*;4718189

[QUOTE=Adam2050;4718186]Ok i will ring them again tomorrow, so what if they … [QUOTE=Adam2050;4718186]Ok i will ring them again tomorrow, so what if they say no can do? x

Threaten trading standards. :oops:

Ad

Original Poster

Adam2050;4718201

[QUOTE=*katie*;4718189]Threaten trading standards. :oops:Ad

Hmmm i'm not really the threatening type lol, il get someone else to ring : ) thank you for your help xxx

I reckon the easiest thing is just to go to support.euro.dell.com/sup…gen , enter your service tag (seven digits, on the underside of your system, probably ending 3J or 4J), and have a chat with one of the tech support staff over the interweb. If it's the charger or thebattery that's gone, they'll send a courier round to replace what you've got. If it's the motherboard, they might do a collect & return, which'll take a couple of weeks. In any case, you'll probably not get anywhere as quickly with Currys, especially if they're being arsey abou tit.

Original Poster

dxx;4718279

I reckon the easiest thing is just to go to … I reckon the easiest thing is just to go to http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/emea/shared/support/chat/en/hardware_chat?c=uk&l=en&s=gen , enter your service tag (seven digits, on the underside of your system, probably ending 3J or 4J), and have a chat with one of the tech support staff over the interweb. If it's the charger or thebattery that's gone, they'll send a courier round to replace what you've got. If it's the motherboard, they might do a collect & return, which'll take a couple of weeks. In any case, you'll probably not get anywhere as quickly with Currys, especially if they're being arsey abou tit.

Oo great thanks very much for that!!! Going to try it, cant be any worse off, thanks again xxx

Under the Sale of Goods Act the customer does not have to deal with the manufactorer, instead, since the contract is with the retailer, the goods must be fit for purpose, it is the retailer who must deal with the manufactorer on the customer's behalf. Don't let them fob you off.

Banned

Take the laptop apart and resolder the power plug back on to the mother board, piece of ****

Banned

havent read through thread but you havent turned it off have you, my daughter turns her battery charge off when using with lead plugged in, she has a studio

Sorry, it was me who expired this. It was by accident. To enter autoscroll I have to push both mouse buttons simultaneously for the 'middle' mouse button trick, and to do that, I look away from the screen to make sure my thumb's in the right place. This time, and I do this ort of thing about once a week or so, my thumb was in the right place but the cursor was hovering over the Expire button, I guess because that'swhere it was from clikcing the thread's title in the thread menu.

I've dropped a line to the mods, hopefully they'll unexpire it. Still, if you looked to this thread and got offended that it had been expired Katie, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!564064
    2. In-store receipt cashback - Shopitize, TopCashBack's 'Groceries', Quidco's …25113
    3. UBER can be a waste of money1222
    4. Leicester sack their manager!710

See more discussions