Expired

Laptop choice ssd or hdd

Found 19th Mar
if you had to choose between 1tb HDD or 256gb ssd which would you buy??
Community Updates
AskHard Drive
10 Comments
depend on how much space you need i have a 1tb hd and its only 1% full,i would choose ssd
Ssd for the speed. Massive difference in usability
Both
Does the Laptop support m.2, if so get the HDD and install your own m.2 SSD. 256GB is pretty small and will get to a point where it will get annoying.

notebookreview.com/fea…de/
As with most things, it's about how you use it and the level of expertise available to you.

I would buy the SSD laptop and a 1tb WD Elements 1tb external drive for £47 on Amazon. 2tb is £65. BUT I would also set the PC up carefully. I would turn the single physical drive into 2 logical drives

C: at 120gb for Windows.
D: for the rest and I would keep all my documents/photos/music/video etc on D:

Why do this? 3 big reasons;
1. You can turn on compression on D: with minimal effect on performance. The useable space will probably double.
2. Data backup is easy. Once a month, you drag and drop D: to to an external drive. Job done
3. Over time, Windows messes up and needs refreshing. With this layout, you never wipe your data when you refresh Windows.

You should get into the habit of doing some housekeeping on C: alongside backing up your D: data. Preferably on the first SUnday of each month. You need to manage your Recycle bin and a periodic clear out of old Windows files (using Disk Cleanup. An MS utility that is already on your PC and easy to use)
ccnp48 m ago

1. You can turn on compression on D: with minimal effect on performance. …1. You can turn on compression on D: with minimal effect on performance. The useable space will probably double.

That's unlikely, most file formats these days are already compressed. Almost all music and pictures are, as well as Microsoft's office open document formats (the ones ending x like docx).

That's also an incredibly crude backup method, with the easily availability of much better methods I wouldn't recommend anyone use drag and drop once a month. Just turn on file history and select the folders you want to back up.

I've also found windows to be much more stable since Vista was introduced. I haven't had an install become unusable on me for the last decade.

@fijwood: If it's a choice at all (i.e. you don't need more than 240GB of space) then an SSD is flat out better.
Or, look a hybrid drives...

Not as fast as SSD, but better than a normal HDD.

amazon.co.uk/Sea…_ce

for example.
EndlessWaves4 h, 25 m ago

'That's unlikely.................'

Endless, your opening words show the vanishingly thin depth of your knowledge. Ever heard the saying. 'A closed mouth gathers no feet'?
If you're looking for a laptop to buy then look for one that has a M.2 slot so you can have both SSD + HDD.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 19th Mar
Thanks for all the comments guys was about to hit the purchase button on the ssd @ £600 when a little beaut with 1tb HDD and 128gb ssd popped up for £550!! Boom!!! Thanks non the less for all the helpful hints x
fijwood14 h, 1 m ago

Thanks for all the comments guys was about to hit the purchase button on …Thanks for all the comments guys was about to hit the purchase button on the ssd @ £600 when a little beaut with 1tb HDD and 128gb ssd popped up for £550!! Boom!!! Thanks non the less for all the helpful hints x

I would put the saving towards a bigger SSD, 128GB sounds alot but you can run into issues with space easily on a modern windows setup.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants