Laptop choice-which one? Help please!

Found 3rd Jan 2015
Hi there, I recently posted a request for help in finding a cheap laptop that would suit my needs - surfing the net, using MS Word and PowerPoint and storing photos. I was given two suggestions by 2 very helpful HUKDers. Would you be so kind as to help me decide on which is best, or suggest a better alternative. Huge thanks in advance. I'm looking to spend up to £250 ish.
hotukdeals.com/vis…119 Or ebuyer.com/669…abu

There's also this which is currently £279.99 on Argos 3 day sale. But can't post link for some reason Toshiba L50-B-1NL 15.6 Inch Ci3 Processor 4GB 1TB Laptop.
248/8307

1. Ask
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Laptop
5 Comments

I think there are dozens of laptops like this and they are all much of a muchness.

The first laptop on ebay looks a better deal than the second on argos.

Note the laptop on Argos has a low powered CPU (though nothing you need to do needs a high powered CPU).

However a low powered CPU will have a better battery life than a high powered CPU. So if you plan to use it plugged in to the mains go for the ebay one, if you plan to use it on battery a lot go for the second one.

Note you wont get Word or Powerpoint with either of these laptops and you are likely to spend more money getting MS Office than you will spend on the laptop.

Original Poster

guilbert53

I think there are dozens of laptops like this and they are all much of a … I think there are dozens of laptops like this and they are all much of a muchness.The first laptop on ebay looks a better deal than the second on argos.Note the laptop on Argos has a low powered CPU (though nothing you need to do needs a high powered CPU).However a low powered CPU will have a better battery life than a high powered CPU. So if you plan to use it plugged in to the mains go for the ebay one, if you plan to use it on battery a lot go for the second one.Note you wont get Word or Powerpoint with either of these laptops and you are likely to spend more money getting MS Office than you will spend on the laptop.

Thank u so much for that brilliant explanation. The eBay one it is then....or do u know of a better one around £250 ish?

guilbert53

Note the laptop on Argos has a low powered CPU (though nothing you need … Note the laptop on Argos has a low powered CPU (though nothing you need to do needs a high powered CPU).However a low powered CPU will have a better battery life than a high powered CPU. So if you plan to use it plugged in to the mains go for the ebay one, if you plan to use it on battery a lot go for the second one.

Actually, the A4-5000 is Kabini rather than Richland so the situation is the other way round. The AMD chip is their purpose built design to keep maximum power consumption down while the Intel one is a slowed down version of their standard power chip. Actual battery life will depend on the size of the battery. Neither argos nor toshiba give the capacity so it's difficult to say which would last longer as purchased, but given equal sized batteries I'd expect it to be the HP.

For your sort of use and budget it really comes down to the impression it makes it front of you, the specs are of secondary importance to the quality of the screen and input devices as well as factors like noise. As such, even the best specs could be a bad laptop (arguably are more likely to be, the money had to come from somewhere).

Original Poster

ACER Aspire E5-571 15.6" Laptop - Dark Blue from currys is suggesting it's £200 off at only £279. Is this a better deal than the two I've suggested? Thoughts much appreciated

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

Actually, the A4-5000 is Kabini rather than Richland so the situation is … Actually, the A4-5000 is Kabini rather than Richland so the situation is the other way round. The AMD chip is their purpose built design to keep maximum power consumption down while the Intel one is a slowed down version of their standard power chip. Actual battery life will depend on the size of the battery. Neither argos nor toshiba give the capacity so it's difficult to say which would last longer as purchased, but given equal sized batteries I'd expect it to be the HP.For your sort of use and budget it really comes down to the impression it makes it front of you, the specs are of secondary importance to the quality of the screen and input devices as well as factors like noise. As such, even the best specs could be a bad laptop (arguably are more likely to be, the money had to come from somewhere).

Thank you for ur reply. There is too much choice out there, I'm totally undecided!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best renewal with sky after last offer88
    2. Advice on claiming from Salford Council pot hole damage11
    3. Want to sell on DLC ebay44
    4. heart rate monitor fitness watch58

See more discussions