Groups

Laptop CONSTANTLY sounds like the CPU is running at full speed and keeps going slow etc.

Can't find ANYTHING on the net either.

Any idea's guys?

17 Comments

overheating?

more likely to be the hard drive than the CPU i think...

Original Poster

milesy29

more likely to be the hard drive than the CPU i think...

Could be right there mate cause my HD is practically full

If the laptop is not on a flat surface the ventilation holes might be covered over and the noise will be the fan.

in a laptop there a fans on the hard drive the processor and the gpu.

Try moving some files off the hard drive and then defragging. Then adjust your performance settings if its still not playing ball.

Original Poster

dcx_badass

CPU's don't have any moving parts and don't make any sound.

cheerz bro

open up your task manager - check out the processes. See whats using the most memory.
    do you have a new firewall/spyware software?.. the scans use a lot of memory..
    could also be something like p2p software

Original Poster

P.S

What I meant was my CPU is 9/10 on 100% When i have the gadget on my desktop!

I had similar problems, I did more or less what Narfette mentions and also use 'CPU RightMark' which helps me keep an eye on the temp of the CPU and adjust the speeds etc. There maybe other tools but I have come to like this one.

Just try running a hoover over the vents, if it is powerful dont move it too close. Could be full of dust.

Banned

bigfoot100

Just try running a hoover over the vents, if it is powerful dont move it … Just try running a hoover over the vents, if it is powerful dont move it too close. Could be full of dust.

how would that make the cpu run at 100% lol?

csiman

how would that make the cpu run at 100% lol?

In some cases when the machine overheats it will underclock the CPU, this is to try and reduce the temperature quicker. It will cause the CPU to reach 100% usage faster, as it will be running at a lower clock speed.

Try the system tray.

If you hard drives full it's likely running a mojority of things in virtual memory. The CPU fan would be on if it was fully loaded all the time.

A clean out of the system and fresh install would be a safe bet if none of the internal parts are failing.

This thread contains some impressively wrong wrongness. Let's look at the evidence:

1) Scrivs says it sounds like the CPU is running at full speed
    2) He also says that CPU usage is 100% most of the time
    3) He complains of slowness

Now, obviously it's the fan that makes the noise not the CPU, but what causes the fan to make noise? The CPU running at heavy loads. What causes slowness? Lots of things, but a fully-loaded CPU is a prime candidate. How would we confirm points 1 and 3? By looking for a process occupying 100% of the CPU.

Solution? Fire up Task Manager, locate the process that's using all the CPU time, and kill it. Then get rid of it via whatever means (update the offending software, uninstall it, remove it from the startup list, or, as might be the case, run Microsoft Security Essentials against it). Not a guaranteed fix, but more than likely to be the correct one.

Although, in other news:

Adam2050

If you hard drives full it's likely running a mojority of things in … If you hard drives full it's likely running a mojority of things in virtual memory. The CPU fan would be on if it was fully loaded all the time.

Wtf?

To the OP I had the same problem with my laptop that you are having, and I was told by my brother to backup all my important programs, files, and documents to an external hard drive and to do a re-install of windows. So I did that and it worked a charm and my laptop is now running smoothly.

ps: Also try using avast to get rid of any spyware or viruses that may be slowing down your laptops/pc's cpu down.

A good clearout of junk on the hard disk is a good place to start. Use ccleaner to do this (it's a free download from e.g filehippo.com) and also delete/move any files/photos/vids you don't want before doing a defrag. Videos obviously take up the most space. Use ccleaner to remove any apps you don't want as a priority too.

Consider a RAM upgrade too, this would take some stress of the CPU and disk. You want 2Gb as a minimum in a laptop these days. It's pretty cheap and easy to do.

dcx_badass

That whole post is absolute rubbish.

Care to enlighten us as to why that is Mr "badass" if you are such an expert . . .
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2869
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1223
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7181352
      4. Spotify Family Premium share719

See more discussions