Laptop Docking station

Posted 15th Jun
I got a WD15 docking station and my laptop doesn't have a usb c port. Is there anyway that I can connect the laptop with the docking station? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Use an adapter, normal USB to USB C adapter
I believe the usb c coming from the wd15 is a lighting cable..Charge and display
Does your laptop have a Thunderbolt 3 port? That would be the only alternative that isn't likely to lose some of the functionality.
Is it same as usb c? No
spa15/06/2020 14:24

Is it same as usb c? No

It's the same connector but adds extra functionality so it's marked and named differently.

If not then you're not going to get the same functionality over a single cable. There might be some sort of complicated adapter that plugs into multiple ports on your laptop, but that would generally defeat the point of a docking station in the first place.

If you plugged it into an older USB port then you might retain the USB Hub, audio output and network functionality but you'd likely lose the display outputs and power transmission.
I just checked the laptop and it has only usb and hdmi port. I basically need to connect the laptop to the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Otherwise i have to do the connections all the time (switching between laptop and desktop - i don't like to work using the laptop).
I’m not sure if it’s what you’re after but I’m using a kvm switch like this on mine
41101363-MLUzT.jpg

Basically the monitor, keyboard and mouse all connect to this and there is a button so you can toggle between laptop or base unit. It also means that when working on the laptop you can set it up as dual screen if required with the monitor as your main screen
Bobster-cyw15/06/2020 15:28

I’m not sure if it’s what you’re after but I’m using a kvm switch like this …I’m not sure if it’s what you’re after but I’m using a kvm switch like this on mine [Image] Basically the monitor, keyboard and mouse all connect to this and there is a button so you can toggle between laptop or base unit. It also means that when working on the laptop you can set it up as dual screen if required with the monitor as your main screen

Link please?
spa15/06/2020 16:07

Link please?

I’ve had it years but they’re all over ebay
Edited by: "Bobster-cyw" 15th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text