Laptop Fan Noise

Found 11th Jul 2016
I updated my BIOS from here -

h20564.www2.hp.com/hps…192

I have the HP 250 G4 and was hoping this would solve my noisy fan issue. It doesn't.

I have a 128GB SSD drive so I was expecting the system to run cooler, but it's just as noisy as a laptop with a standard HDD in it.

I bought the laptop with the SSD fitted as standard as a HP product.

I only use it for web browsing and the occasional word document so I'm not sure why the fan is loud. Only had the laptop a few weeks.

I use Avast which is always on, and Windows 10.

Processes wise, nothing really starts up at startup - apart from Realtek and Avast.

Any ideas? Thanks
Community Updates
AskFanHeadphonesLaptop
24 Comments
I had this on my VAIO, that was down to a dusty fan grill.
I opened it up and cleaned the fan, grill and renewed the thermal paste where appropriate. Runs silent and cool now.
Original Poster
hassansf

I had this on my VAIO, that was down to a dusty fan grill. I opened it up … I had this on my VAIO, that was down to a dusty fan grill. I opened it up and cleaned the fan, grill and renewed the thermal paste where appropriate. Runs silent and cool now.

The laptop is only 2 weeks old though.
Are you blocking vents how you are using it or is it on a hard surface? Also check power settings, it may help to put it to a balanced or low power setting.
Hp has rubbish fan control I have same problem with Ho all in one desktop and laptop fan goes very loud even we mcafee is scanning. Sony is the quietest
Original Poster
It's just on a desk. As long as there's nothing to worry about then I guess it's fine, but I wouldn't have thought it would be loud just web browsing. It's not at full throttle, I'd say medium.
It's normal for lowend small form factor devices to be noisy. you only have a tiny fan and heatsink.
you could download speedfan, this overrides the bios and automatically controls the fan speeds, plus it will also give you readings for temperature of the cpu, gpu and other components. if the laptop is slightly old, you may have a dust buildup between the fan and the heating which causes the temp to rise and therefore the fan to run faster and noisier. i hope that helps
This is the answer you have been looking for youtube.com/wat…Vfk
You have to make adjustments in your battery settings (No need to thank me because you never do) this will stop your fan from coming on all the time, I do this to all my laptops.

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 11th Jul 2016
Original Poster
RiverDragon8

This is the answer you have been looking for … This is the answer you have been looking for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eM5UbGuVfkYou have to make adjustments in your battery settings (No need to thank me because you never do) this will stop your fan from coming on all the time, I do this to all my laptops.

​That won't work I'm afraid cheers.
superfreddy

​That won't work I'm afraid cheers.

It worked, reboot your laptop.
Original Poster
RiverDragon8

It worked, reboot your laptop.

​It won't work. I don't want to lower the CPU power.
After you done the battery adjustments the fan should come on only when your charging the battery.
Original Poster
RiverDragon8

After you done the battery adjustments the fan should come on only when … After you done the battery adjustments the fan should come on only when your charging the battery.

Why would I want to limit the CPU power just to make the fan quieter? You're then only using 3/4 what your laptop is capable of.
I gave you the answer to your solution, that is how to make your laptop run quiet. It works.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 11th Jul 2016
Original Poster
RiverDragon8

I gave you the answer to your solution, that is how to make your laptop … I gave you the answer to your solution, that is how to make your laptop run quiet. It works.

You're halving your processor power... what if you want to do really intense work, you'll only get half the power to do it.
Hi superfreddy, the solution that panda gave should theoretically work and you could bassicaly have two power options which you could easily switch from full performance to 50% let's say with couple of clicks. I use to set it to 99% to disable hyperthreading during gaming.

But honestly you have to ask yourself would this actually solve the problem or just hide the symptoms.

If I was you I would ensure all the vents are not blocked and clear of dust.

Secondly download a program which will tell you the CPU and GPU temps and then monitor their values and google them to see if they are correct for idiling and under power. This should basically tell you whether your laptop is overheating and thus fan keeps kicking in, which could be due to blocked vents or crappy/old thermal compound if your laptop is old.

Also (not sure) could it be due to your battery? Sometimes my fan keeps kicking in if the laptop is charging and is very loud, and as soon as I unplug it the fan drops to lower setting.

If your laptop is still under warranty you could contact the retailer/manufacturer.

PS when I was researching about my laptops fan control, most programs which overwrite the manufacturers settings don't work on laptops.
Original Poster
tince666

Hi superfreddy, the solution that panda gave should theoretically work … Hi superfreddy, the solution that panda gave should theoretically work and you could bassicaly have two power options which you could easily switch from full performance to 50% let's say with couple of clicks. I use to set it to 99% to disable hyperthreading during gaming.But honestly you have to ask yourself would this actually solve the problem or just hide the symptoms.If I was you I would ensure all the vents are not blocked and clear of dust.Secondly download a program which will tell you the CPU and GPU temps and then monitor their values and google them to see if they are correct for idiling and under power. This should basically tell you whether your laptop is overheating and thus fan keeps kicking in, which could be due to blocked vents or crappy/old thermal compound if your laptop is old.Also (not sure) could it be due to your battery? Sometimes my fan keeps kicking in if the laptop is charging and is very loud, and as soon as I unplug it the fan drops to lower setting.If your laptop is still under warranty you could contact the retailer/manufacturer.PS when I was researching about my laptops fan control, most programs which overwrite the manufacturers settings don't work on laptops.

​Thanks, a helpful post finally! Really appreciate it. It's a new laptop so the fan is clean with plenty of room to breathe. I'm guessing HP fans are noisy. My Asus is the same too.
superfreddy

​Thanks, a helpful post finally! Really appreciate it. It's a new laptop s … ​Thanks, a helpful post finally! Really appreciate it. It's a new laptop so the fan is clean with plenty of room to breathe. I'm guessing HP fans are noisy. My Asus is the same too.

From my experience, HP laptops run pretty hot and are quite noisy. You could also try downloading a fan control app such as Speedfan to measure temps and lower fan speed - but honestly I personally wouldn't bother making tweaks and things as long as it's running reasonably as it should.
Original Poster
Muir

From my experience, HP laptops run pretty hot and are quite noisy. You … From my experience, HP laptops run pretty hot and are quite noisy. You could also try downloading a fan control app such as Speedfan to measure temps and lower fan speed - but honestly I personally wouldn't bother making tweaks and things as long as it's running reasonably as it should.

Thanks for your advice, that's really helpful and I appreciate it.

I think I'll just leave it. Would prefer a loud fan but a cool system.
Original Poster
LOL

I have it and I honestly have not noticed any sound from it at all.
Original Poster
soty4

I have it and I honestly have not noticed any sound from it at all.

Are you using it in a quiet room?
No but I will do and see if I hear anything.
Original Poster
soty4

No but I will do and see if I hear anything.

​Thanks, let me know yeah?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants