Laptop for 9yr old with Parental/ Safety controls.

Posted 30th Dec 2019
Hello All,

I'm looking for some advice as I am not the most tech savvy at all and quite frankly scared but I know the time has come to purchase our daughter a laptop for her birthday.

She will need to download the school Google Classroom for her homework and be able to play roblox (chat disabled btw)

She currently has an Amazon Kids fire tablet but has now asked for a laptop like her friends 🙈.

If anyone can advise which are the best laptops and what parental control/software Is best to keep her as safe as possible online.

Thank you all so much
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
A Chromebook would do the trick, don't get an extremely basic one though. Minimum 4GB RAM, minimum 32GB storage in my book. Do you have a budget so I can suggest some Chromebooks for you?

You could use Google Family Link to restrict your child's screen time (for example no more using the laptop at 8pm when it will lock until 7am, you choose the times though)

You also have YouTube controls with Family Link, Google safe search controls, app blocking and time restrictions on apps etc
Both Google and Microsoft Windows have pretty good child controls. Microsoft allows you to specify the exact time the machine can be used and you can change it on the fly from your phone if required. You also get a weekly activity report. This does require you to have a Microsoft account though, along with one for your daughter. It is no different than a Google account though and any email works.
Just got my daughter the Acer chrome book , when you set it up you put there age and you then have to link it to your google account . Once set up they can’t download any apps without your permission and the also can’t get any nasty stuff coming up on google , wouldn’t even let me look at YouTube in google so it’s really good . You can control screen time also
Any cheap laptop would do, as for parental security you wouldn't get any better than yourself .
Most likely out of your budget, but for the purpose of informing, Macs have pretty good and easy to use parental controls, which I believe you can control from an iPhone using the Screen Time feature.

It may be useful to you, but I doubt that a MacBook is the best option unless your daughter is showing an interest in art, design or video editing. Otherwise, 100% a Windows laptop or perhaps a Chromebook is a more value conscious option.
Thank you all so much, as it's her first laptop we are treating it like her first car so budget max £300 (She dropped her tablet and it now has a nice crack.)

Funnily she has a huge interest in Art, especially fashion design, I looked at the MacBook but my husband said not for a few years lol.

It sounds like a chrome book would be a good option as we all have google accounts.

Andrewworrall1, you said 4GB RAM would that be ok? As a friend at work told me minimum 8GB - he bamboozled me a bit 🙈

Thank you all for your helpful advice, I really appreciate it - Ahmad I off to have a look at the Acer Chrome book thank you for the suggestion.
mylittlebear30/12/2019 10:26

Thank you all so much, as it's her first laptop we are treating it like …Thank you all so much, as it's her first laptop we are treating it like her first car so budget max £300 (She dropped her tablet and it now has a nice crack.) Funnily she has a huge interest in Art, especially fashion design, I looked at the MacBook but my husband said not for a few years lol.It sounds like a chrome book would be a good option as we all have google accounts.Andrewworrall1, you said 4GB RAM would that be ok? As a friend at work told me minimum 8GB - he bamboozled me a bit 🙈 Thank you all for your helpful advice, I really appreciate it - Ahmad I off to have a look at the Acer Chrome book thank you for the suggestion.

For a Chromebook a 4GB RAM is fine. You could probably get a better one with your budget of £300 but this is the Chromebook I had before I got a Pixel Slate. You can also view my post I published when buying it for my views on it if you would like

Hope she gets a nice laptop and has a good Birthday
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 30th Dec 2019
andrewworrall130/12/2019 10:36

For a Chromebook a 4GB RAM is fine. You could probably get a better one …For a Chromebook a 4GB RAM is fine. You could probably get a better one with your budget of £300 but this is the Chromebook I had before I got a Pixel Slate. You can also view my post I published when buying it for my views on it if you would likeHope she gets a nice laptop and has a good Birthday

Thank you so much.

So do we she's turning 9 but is acting more like 16 already 🤪 Hopefully we got the cake correct
£300 should get a pretty reasonable Chromebook.
If you can get 8GB or RAM then do so, it will be useful in future.
Might be worth making sure it has. 1080p IPS screen (1920x1080 pixels). Makes for better display definition and viewing angles.

My only concern and partly because I’ve no experience of it. Will Roblox work properly on a Chromebook? Cursory Googling says yes but problematically. What Laptops do friends use?
Oneday7730/12/2019 16:26

£300 should get a pretty reasonable Chromebook. If you can get 8GB or RAM …£300 should get a pretty reasonable Chromebook. If you can get 8GB or RAM then do so, it will be useful in future. Might be worth making sure it has. 1080p IPS screen (1920x1080 pixels). Makes for better display definition and viewing angles. My only concern and partly because I’ve no experience of it. Will Roblox work properly on a Chromebook? Cursory Googling says yes but problematically. What Laptops do friends use?

She told me her friends have HP, I've looked and not seen the greatest reviews for anything under £600. My husband is reluctant to pay that and I understand as her tablet is cracked from being dropped/sat on 🙈 He has said she needs to prove herself responsible with a cheaper one first before buying a more expensive one - he said jokingly it's like buying your first car you don't start with a Ferrari
Yeah it can be an expensive mine fields.
This deal is expired but also a spec worth looking out for if you want to go Windows route. A little over £300 but if you search the site it’s not that uncommon to get a deal on them.

Meant to add. Have look in store in John Lewis. They commonly have opened returns that can at times have decent discounts on them. Though not always that good either.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 30th Dec 2019
Oneday7730/12/2019 16:48

Yeah it can be an expensive mine fields. This deal is expired but also a …Yeah it can be an expensive mine fields. This deal is expired but also a spec worth looking out for if you want to go Windows route. A little over £300 but if you search the site it’s not that uncommon to get a deal on them.Meant to add. Have look in store in John Lewis. They commonly have opened returns that can at times have decent discounts on them. Though not always that good either.

Thank you Oneday77 I will have a look and take a trip to John Lewis, wanting to avoid PC World as I've read about people being wrongly advised and getting more/not what they need.
I've narrowed it down to the Lenovo s340 and the Asus 532NA both mentioned on this site can anyone shed any light which is better - I see the Asus is supported until 2024 and the Lenovo until 2026 but the Lenovo after care has terrible reviews on another site....I'm getting so confused now lol
mylittlebear31/12/2019 12:26

I've narrowed it down to the Lenovo s340 and the Asus 532NA both mentioned …I've narrowed it down to the Lenovo s340 and the Asus 532NA both mentioned on this site can anyone shed any light which is better - I see the Asus is supported until 2024 and the Lenovo until 2026 but the Lenovo after care has terrible reviews on another site....I'm getting so confused now lol

Sorry meant ASUS C523NA 🙈
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants