Laptop for my Dad recommendations

Posted 23rd Dec 2019
My dad is looking for a laptop.
All he does is browse the internet, so light picture editing and watch movies when on holiday.
I haven't bought a laptop in years, so open to advice.
His budget is up to £250, he doesn't need Office.
I was thinking maybe a chromebook?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
Chrome book seems the best choice!
Edited by: "BobbyUK" 23rd Dec 2019
Used thinkpad? That might get you a T450 or T460
Are you sure a tablet would not be a better option? One with a keyboard is easy to find.
Does he use an iPhone or Android? Because then he may find moving between devices to be easier whilst it is much more portable for travelling etc. and current tablets will meet the use case you describe.

Are you wanting new / refurbished / used as going for a slightly used / nearly new device can give you a lot more options at a lower price range.
What screen size are you looking for? small and light like a 12-13Inch, regular laptop at 15.6inch or a big boy at 17+

250 will get you a low end laptop, medium chromebook or decent tablet.
I thought about iPad, but with keyboard etc it would break the budget?
Used is fine.
He hooks it up to a monitor, a 14inch+ would be ok
Well I’d certainly avoid those £100-150 new Windows 32GB Atom/ Celeron laptops that you see for sale. I did buy my dad a tablet but he could never get to grips with the touchscreen & switching apps. Ended up buying him a £200 i3 refurb laptop from Argos eBay which he seemed happy with.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 23rd Dec 2019
captainbeaky23/12/2019 16:14

Well I’d certainly avoid those £100-150 new Windows 32GB Atom/ Celeron la …Well I’d certainly avoid those £100-150 new Windows 32GB Atom/ Celeron laptops that you see for sale. I did buy my dad a tablet but he could never get to grips with the touchscreen & switching apps. Ended up buying him a £200 i3 refurb laptop from Argos eBay which he seemed happy with.

Yeah I would avoid Intel N series and AMD A series processors, they are just frutratingly slow.
I would recommend the Intel N series processors, only the N4100, N4200, which are quad core compared to N3 models which are dual core, as well as the quad core Intel ATOMs etc., which have passmark of 2000+ and with 4 threads of processing, for the types of workload they describe, the lower energy consumption , check CPU uses about 6W, means light weight for holiday us, and watching videos, at £250 with keyboard.
I have a few quad core ATOMs to do light work, Asus T100 and they are superb for viewing videos between charge, plus 10 hours and the battery discharge only very slowly when not in use.
Edited by: "splender" 23rd Dec 2019
I would go for something like this here
for £246.50 (with ebay discount code)
Thanks
He is looking at this HP Stream 14
  • AMD A4-9125 Processor
  • RAM: 4 GB / Storage: 64 GB eMMC
for £179

Wonder if the percentage increase is worth it for his basic use?
Or will the HP stream be annoyingly slow?
stuartw23/12/2019 22:34

ThanksHe is looking at this HP Stream 14AMD A4-9125 ProcessorRAM: 4 GB / …ThanksHe is looking at this HP Stream 14AMD A4-9125 ProcessorRAM: 4 GB / Storage: 64 GB eMMCfor £179Wonder if the percentage increase is worth it for his basic use?Or will the HP stream be annoyingly slow?

ebay.co.uk/itm…168

8GB RAM + 240GB SSD comes to £235 and that was the first result for T450. The same spec is being sold cheaper by other sellers
Edited by: "Shrekt" 23rd Dec 2019
Actually seems like you can get the slightly newer version (T460) for similar prices
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions