Laptop for School work/Sims 4

Found 11th Aug
Hi All, Looking for a laptop with £400 budget that is capable of doing basic word tasks and running the sims 4. Any suggestions?
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
If you're really after something that basic you could get a really decent refurb from Morgan computers for half the price. It's not for everyone because you need to install an OS yourself and perhaps upgrade to an SSD.

But for the most part you'll get a far more capable machine for half the price. People don't understand for the past 8 years cpus in home and business machines have not been getting much faster just more power efficient.

You will also get a far better laptop if you buy ex business, modern home laptops of today tend to be all plastic construction.

If a suggestion comes on here I'll post a refurb equivalent.

Also: posts like this appear every week so you may want to trawl through some other posts.
Edited by: "mogsog" 11th Aug
mogsog14 h, 47 m ago

People don't understand for the past 8 years cpus in home and business …People don't understand for the past 8 years cpus in home and business machines have not been getting much faster just more power efficient.

I think that's a bit misleading.

Power efficiency is processing power divided by power consumption. If power efficiency has been increasing but processing power hasn't then power consumption has been dropping away.

If we compare an HP Pavillion from 2011 and 2018:
notebookcheck.net/Rev…tml
notebookcheck.net/HP-…tml

The older one depletes it's 47Wh battery in 1.2 hours under load, or at an average draw of 39.17W while the newer ones depletes it's 41Wh battery is 2.23 hours, or an average draw of 18.36W.

So power consumption differs by 2.13x

In terms of processing power the old one scores 8.08fps and 2.61 in Cinebench 11.5 64-bit while the new one scores 44.22fps ad 5.86.

So processing power differs by 5.47x and 2.24x.

This does ignore the impact of other components on battery life, but I'd expect them to have reduced power draw rather than increased which would mean the processor wan't responsible for all of the reduction in power draw.

So at least half the improvements in CPU efficiency in have gone towards better performance rather than reduced power consumption, and it could easily be 80% or more.
EndlessWaves4 h, 52 m ago

I think that's a bit misleading.Power efficiency is processing power …I think that's a bit misleading.Power efficiency is processing power divided by power consumption. If power efficiency has been increasing but processing power hasn't then power consumption has been dropping away.If we compare an HP Pavillion from 2011 and 2018:https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Pavilion-g6-1141sg-Notebook.57332.0.htmlhttps://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Pavilion-15-cs0053cl-i5-8250U-HD-Laptop-Review.320248.0.htmlThe older one depletes it's 47Wh battery in 1.2 hours under load, or at an average draw of 39.17W while the newer ones depletes it's 41Wh battery is 2.23 hours, or an average draw of 18.36W.So power consumption differs by 2.13x In terms of processing power the old one scores 8.08fps and 2.61 in Cinebench 11.5 64-bit while the new one scores 44.22fps ad 5.86.So processing power differs by 5.47x and 2.24x.This does ignore the impact of other components on battery life, but I'd expect them to have reduced power draw rather than increased which would mean the processor wan't responsible for all of the reduction in power draw.So at least half the improvements in CPU efficiency in have gone towards better performance rather than reduced power consumption, and it could easily be 80% or more.

Yeah it is a little nuanced than that, there are so many variables so considering power consumption. Many laptop users never use their machine off mains power.

There are many 2012 i5 laptops which completely destroy 2018 light duty windows 10 laptops and chromebooks on everything but power efficiency.

I understand its not for everyone to buy refurbished but almost all users I've ever assisted in purchasing them have been more than happy with longevity and performance.
I bought a i5 8520 inspiron 15 refurbished from Dell for about £320. Stuck a £30 SSD in it and a extra4GB of ram from CEX and now it is FLYING
Edited by: "eugenedr" 12th Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants