Laptop for under £200 help please.

Posted 5th Oct
I need a laptop for under £200 I don't mind if it's refurbished ect. Has got to be good for playing games like Minecraft ect and occasional homework.
Do I need a bigger budget? Or can anyone find me one.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
Why can’t you look for one?
If checking out refurb's then itzoo, mcscom and laptops direct offer some good deals (on itzoo look for the 10% discount that seems to always be on offer).

You say games such as Minecraft but that example is not very challenging in its requirements. Although if you step beyond that then it would become challenging in your budget without spending more.

If you could up you budget then something like this should hit your requirements whilst also being new:
ebuyer.com/874…abu

This Ryzen APU be a step up in gaming ability albeit not as good as a laptop with a separate GPU (albeit in your budget you would struggle in achieving that)

at £200 besides looking at refurbs you will be needing to compromise on ssd, screen and memory
Edited by: "Bertz99" 5th Oct
Bertz9905/10/2019 10:35

If checking out refurb's then itzoo, mcscom and laptops direct are offer …If checking out refurb's then itzoo, mcscom and laptops direct are offer some good deals.You say games such as Minecraft but that example is not very challenging in its requirements. Although if you step beyond that then it would become challenging in your budget without spending more.If you could up you budget then something like this should hit your requirements whilst also being new:https://www.ebuyer.com/874549-hp-255-g7-ryzen-3-8gb-256gb-full-hd-15-6in-win10-laptop-6bn96ea-abuThis Ryzen APU be a step up in gaming ability albeit not as good as a laptop with a separate GPU (albeit in your budget you would struggle in achieving that)at £200 besides looking at refurbs you will be needing to compromise on ssd, screen and memory

Ok thank you for info. It's for a 10 yr old didn't want to go to much over budget.
These are the Minecraft system requirements
(minimum)
  • Memory:2 GB
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD 4000
  • CPU:Intel Core i3-3210
  • Minecraft File Size:1 GB

morgancomputers.co.uk/pro…al/

You can always upgrade the OS to Windows 10. £209.95 + del.

Or:
morgancomputers.co.uk/pro…nal

With Windows 10 Pro 64bit included. £219.95 + del.

No optical drive on the first one, if that's an issue. Just a couple of options 'close' to your budget.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 17th Nov
Phsycronix11/11/2019 17:58

These are the Minecraft system requirements (minimum) Memory:2 …These are the Minecraft system requirements (minimum) Memory:2 GBGraphics Card:Intel HD 4000CPU:Intel Core i3-3210Minecraft File Size:1 GBOS:Windows 7 and uphttps://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/19894/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T530-15-6-Laptop-i5-3320M-Dual-Core-2-6GHz-4GB-320GB-Webcam-Windows-7-Professional/You can always upgrade the OS to Windows 10. £209.95 + del.Or:https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/18754/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T430-14-1-Laptop-i5-3320M-2-6GHz-4GB-320GB-DVD-RW-Webcam-Windows-10-ProfessionalWith Windows 10 Pro 64bit included. £219.95 + del.No optical drive on either, if that's an issue. Just a couple of options 'close' to your budget.

Oh that's great thank you. Have a nice evening!
spyro12311/11/2019 18:02

Oh that's great thank you. Have a nice evening!

You too. Teatime is calling!

Don't take those above as the ONLY options. If you can make do with a smaller screen (I was just going by the standard 15.6") you will find some real bargains on there. Most are A1 condition with warranty.

Good luck with your search. I'm sure you'll find something.
Phsycronix11/11/2019 18:06

You too. Teatime is calling!Don't take those above as the ONLY options. If …You too. Teatime is calling!Don't take those above as the ONLY options. If you can make do with a smaller screen (I was just going by the standard 15.6") you will find some real bargains on there. Most are A1 condition with warranty.Good luck with your search. I'm sure you'll find something.

Hi again just wondering if you think this is a good laptop?ebay.co.uk/itm…339
spyro12317/11/2019 10:38

Hi again just wondering if you think this is a good …Hi again just wondering if you think this is a good laptop?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-VivoBook-X555-15-Inch-AMD-A10-4GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-Laptop-Silver/362675915339

Hi Spyro. How's it going? I think others would need to comment really. I might be a bit bias as I don't rate Asus all that much. It seems capable though. 4GB of Ram is ok. Good size HDD but a tad slow @ 5400rpm. That's not an issue really as you could drop a cheap SSD (approx £20) and it would fly. You probably don't want to 'tinker' though, do you?

Also, like my examples it has no optical drive - so no running disk-based software or playing cd's/Dvd's etc. without help. It has some nice touches like USB3 and HDMI. A processor which can handle most stuff except high-end (but it's no Intel) and Windows 10 (albeit Home I assume) so ready to rock.

For the money and full warranty from a recognised retailer, you wouldn't go far wrong but this is one person's opinion of course. Many would say spend a bit more for a much better machine but then that goes against your budget, doesn't it? I don't blame you for trying to get what you can for the limit you have set.

The main issue I have (I'm so sorry but yes, I have one!) is the graphics. It is a Radeon R5 chip which is the weak link in the chain. I'd love to hear others opinions but this chip is really only on par (or lower) than an equivalent Intel HD - i.e. not very good for games. It WILL play Minecraft - but I fear it might be a disappointing result for the player. This is why I don't like recommending things that are so 'close to the bone' as I don't want anyone saying "well, you SAID it was ok."

I know it's hard. Sometimes you can go with a 'gut' feeling on things but computers are an unruly beast! See if you get anyone else's thoughts on your suggestion. That may help any decision you make. Ironically, I'd say this is a little bit better than the examples I provided in my previous post but be under no illusion - this Asus is what would be considered an "entry level" laptop by any benchmark. Saying that, it will do what you require it to do in your opening post.

That's my twopenneth, Spyro. Sorry if it still doesn't help but in answer to your question: Do I think it's a good laptop? Yes - sort of, value-wise. Is it a great laptop? No.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 17th Nov
Phsycronix17/11/2019 12:03

Hi Spyro. How's it going? I think others would need to comment really. I …Hi Spyro. How's it going? I think others would need to comment really. I might be a bit bias as I don't rate Asus all that much. It seems capable though. 4GB of Ram is ok. Good size HDD but a tad slow @ 5400rpm. That's not an issue really as you could drop a cheap SSD (approx £20) and it would fly. You probably don't want to 'tinker' though, do you?Also, like my examples it has no optical drive - so no running disk-based software or playing cd's/Dvd's etc. without help. It has some nice touches like USB3 and HDMI. A processor which can handle most stuff except high-end (but it's no Intel) and Windows 10 (albeit Home I assume) so ready to rock.For the money and full warranty from a recognised retailer, you wouldn't go far wrong but this is one person's opinion of course. Many would say spend a bit more for a much better machine but then that goes against your budget, doesn't it? I don't blame you for trying to get what you can for the limit you have set.The main issue I have (I'm so sorry but yes, I have one!) is the graphics. It is a Radeon R5 chip which is the weak link in the chain. I'd love to hear others opinions but this chip is really only on par (or lower) than an equivalent Intel HD - i.e. not very good for games. It WILL play Minecraft - but I fear it might be a disappointing result for the player. This is why I don't like recommending things that are so 'close to the bone' as I don't want anyone saying "well, you SAID it was ok."I know it's hard. Sometimes you can go with a 'gut' feeling on things but computers are an unruly beast! See if you get anyone else's thoughts on your suggestion. That may help any decision you make. Ironically, I'd say this is a little bit better than the examples I provided in my previous post but be under no illusion - this Asus is what would be considered an "entry level" laptop by any benchmark. Saying that, it will do what you require it to do in your opening post.That's my twopenneth, Spyro. Sorry if it still doesn't help but in answer to your question: Do I think it's a good laptop? Yes - sort of, value-wise. Is it a great laptop? No.

Hi I'm ok thanks, hope you are?
Thanks again for all your info
I'm going to go out on a limb here and just ask if you have seen this company? I know nothing about them but as an experiment, I Googled "Cheap gaming laptop" for fun and this came up:

cheaplaptopcompany.co.uk/lap…top

They do have one or two interesting 'low cost' laptops that would fit the bill within your budget. You can also get a £10 voucher for your first order so you could get THIS for £179. I do notice that the link says "T420" - yet the listing is for a T440?

Also, if you stretched your budget a wee bit - THIS for £239 has double the memory, SSD, DVD and HD4400 graphics. Says 4th gen processor but what? I don't know. Could ask them, I suppose?

As I said. I know nothing about these people so, do your homework! They do sound reasonable prices rather than "too good to be true" prices but that doesn't mean they are trustworthy. Ask on here if anyone else has any feedback or knowledge of them perhaps?

All the best, Phsy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants