Groups

laptop for work that is super quick but also light

Hi,

I'm software developer and have been offered a laptop to replace my desktop machine. I tend to have lots of apps open IDE's, browsers, office Lotus Notes etc and run vmware images (although not all of the time).

I want to get a top spec machine that'll be my work horse for the next 3 years (probably more), but also light as I'll be carrying it in on bike. I'm looking for PC rather than apple. Budget is a slight issue, but not if i can justify the extra cost then i should be ok.

Can anyone recommend any particular models?

Thanks,

Scottyb

8 Comments

What is the budget?

Original Poster

Not really sure on budget. I guess if the right laptop is £2K and I can justify the extra cost then I try for that.

Just been looking at ]DELL XPSTM M1330, for ~£800 exVAT , with 2.4GHz Core Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, 13.3" screen, weight ~1.79 kg.

Seems quite good to me?

If you're after a really light laptop the toshiba R500 is by far the lightest I've used .. comes at a price though but they do have offers at the moment

uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi…898

Hope this helps

Comes in at under 1kg ( 0.979 kg) so is much lighter than the dells... New dell models are coming out end September/begin October and they'll have some 1kg offerings I'm told.

scottyb;2586509

13.3" screen

Are you sure you want to work on all those applications on a 13.3" screen ?

Take your current desktop and measure how large a 13.3" screen is going to be, then see how few windows you can get open in an area that small.

Original Poster

guilbert53;2586692

Are you sure you want to work on all those applications on a 13.3" screen … Are you sure you want to work on all those applications on a 13.3" screen ?

indeed tiny I take your point,
    But it has an 'ok' resolution and I'll use a 17" LCD at work and the laptop screen will be 2nd display.

scottyb;2586857

indeed tiny I take your point, But it has an 'ok' resolution and I'll … indeed tiny I take your point, But it has an 'ok' resolution and I'll use a 17" LCD at work and the laptop screen will be 2nd display.

I use a 21" TFT at the moment and to have that much desktop space is wonderful.

You can get a 21" desktop for less than £200 nowadays (mine cost £130 and has DVI) so why not spend a bit less on the laptop and budget in a 21" screen.

You wont regret it.

Original Poster

After a brief discussion with it manager it seem pretty much limited to IBM lenovo, I spec'd up ]Thinkpad T61p

Intel Centrino Duo Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.50GHz),
    Genuine Windows XP Pro,
    15.4" WUXGA TFT(1920x1200),
    1x2 GB, 250GB/7200rpm,
    DVD RW DL
    Gigabit Ethernet
    250GB Hard drive
    x3 usb 2.0 ports

2.57Kg

Although it's a little weighty

edit: i'd love to reserve budget and go for a large desktop screen, but the company would treat that as different thing, meaning another purchase order and approval
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2020

See more discussions