Groups
    EXPIRED

Laptop for young child

I am looking for a laptop for my 6 year old son as he has asked for one and wonder if anyone can help?

He is really keen to learn how to use a computer and as this is pretty crucial to any career I want to help him learn. Obviously some of you will think I'm bonkers but I'd rather spend the money on this than a useless load of toys he'll probably never play with :-)

Can anyone recommend what I might need in terms of spec etc? I was thinking of a notebook but I might use it too to back up files etc.

Can anyone help please? Rep and thanks to those who do :-)

7 Comments

whatever you do do not buy a netbook i have had 4! and good ones acer and so on anyway my brother who is this way minded warned me not to buy one! i got them for my sons aged at the time 7 and 10 and i have given up with the countless problems, one annoying thing which i never realised at the time was they dont have a dvd/cd drive which means you cannot install recovery disc if anything should go wrong so you need to pay for an external one and hope it works! i ended up with them all going back and now i have 2 sons with no netbooks but luckily santa is bringing a real laptop costing only 40.99 more than what the notebook was and it has cd/dvd drive to install recovery discs if required so through experience and advice which i should have listened to in the 1st place i would go for a laptop and forget the netbook as they are hopeless when encountering problems! sorry sounds like a big sermon but honestly save your money and buy a laptop you can get them for about 229.00 especially if like me its for a youngster and not a high spec one.

wulshaz;7215148

whatever you do do not buy a netbook i have had 4! and good ones acer and … whatever you do do not buy a netbook i have had 4! and good ones acer and so on anyway my brother who is this way minded warned me not to buy one! i got them for my sons aged at the time 7 and 10 and i have given up with the countless problems, one annoying thing which i never realised at the time was they dont have a dvd/cd drive which means you cannot install recovery disc if anything should go wrong so you need to pay for an external one and hope it works! i ended up with them all going back and now i have 2 sons with no netbooks but luckily santa is bringing a real laptop costing only 40.99 more than what the notebook was and it has cd/dvd drive to install recovery discs if required so through experience and advice which i should have listened to in the 1st place i would go for a laptop and forget the netbook as they are hopeless when encountering problems! sorry sounds like a big sermon but honestly save your money and buy a laptop you can get them for about 229.00 especially if like me its for a youngster and not a high spec one.

Amen :w00t:

mumbojumbo;7215672

Might be worthwhile learning a bit more about computers yourself, then … Might be worthwhile learning a bit more about computers yourself, then you'd be better able to teach your son. ;-) It's easy to recover an OS using an USB drive or external CD drive on a netbook, so that shouldn't put you off - you just need learn how to do it.

yes easy to do as i never said it wasnt easy to do but you need to purchase another item which means spending more money! whats the point of buying a notebook at 200 say and buying a full laptop for 239.99 and you can easily install recovery discs without the hassle of buying an external?

waterloo;7215692

Amen :w00t:

haha :-D i knew i put sermon in there somewhere! :w00t:

I would get a netbook for the size, it does not have a dvd drive but i would get an external one, that he or you can use if/when you need to.. a netbook is the perfect size for a 6 year old to have on his lap, a laptop would prob be to big

i personally found after the experience of 4 netbooks to get a real laptop regardless of size! better for a childs vision to see a larger screen anyway.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. LG G4 Replacement33
      2. Are the free antivirus any good?33
      3. Feels weird!37
      4. Looking for bike lights and a decent helmet11

See more discussions