Laptop has become slow/slugish - tips to speed it back up?

Found 3rd Jan
Hi Guys - i have a Hewlett Packard G62 Laptop , i have probably had it around 3/4 years.

Over the past 12 months it feels like it has slowed down and become sluggish inbetween tasks - for example if i click on Microsoft Word it will take a few minutes before it opens it, same goes for if i need to print it will take a whilst to open the print feature, i've also noticed that when on the internet it seems to take longer loading from page to page and sometimes internet pages just become unresponsive so i have to shut them down and re-open then - other occassions i just shut the laptop down and restart it.

I am considering purchasing a new laptop due to how slow it has become, but before i do is there any quick tips that i can follow that might be able to speed it back up rather than spending £300 - 400 buying a new one.

I am a basic computer user and will be doing a "clean up disk" and "defragment" on the hard drive later today to see if this improves anything.

Alternatively can anyone recommend a good priced laptop around the £300 price - my current laptop is 15.4 inch screen so would probably be looking at same size again.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

-SSD drive to replace old hdd
-more memory (RAM)?
Edited by: "varaha" 3rd Jan

Does it make a lot of noise now? Might be build up of dust raising the temp and throttling the cpu.

Try reinstalling windows. It may be due to some crapware wasting your resources or even a virus.

You could refresh your system move all your data onto a backup device then do a fresh install of Windows then move everything back , there a program on Windows 10 guides you throghe it

Most of the reviews of the G62 seem to be around 2010/2011 so you're more likely to have had it 6-8 years, unless it was a few years old when you got it.

Laptops don't slow down that much with age. It's just the advancing requirements of newer programs or a problem/fault of some sort, rather than just worn out hardware.

How much memory does the laptop have and did you upgrade it to Windows 10?

What OS are you using? I should review the indexing program. If you are indexing too many files it could easily stash a computer to a halt.

"How To Disable Indexing In Windows 10

Finally, if you're finding that the indexing service is taking up too many resources or is more trouble than it's worth, you can disable it completely. To do this, you'll need to open up the Windows services applet, double-click on the Windows Search service, click Stop and finally change the Startup type to Disabled. This will prevent the indexing service from running in the future."

You could turn it off, restart, and try the laptop to see if it's helped. If not, turn it back on. Unless you are constantly searching and loading different pages and/or resources, indexing isn't really necessary - though if you are searching hundreds of files you may wait a few seconds more for your results.
Info here

I have an old Emachines, dual core processor, laptop. I switched indexing off on that and it still runs ok now, though I no longer use it other than for photo storage and some web searching.

Update Windows OS
Update all drivers (I've used Driver Booster before
Update all software (use Sumo)
Clean history etc (CCleaner) then Wise Registry Cleaner (include using the optimise tab) & Wise Disk Cleaner (include using the Slimming System)
Then after all those tasks because you still have a hard drive use MyDefrag 4.3.1 (select monthly system disk)

You may want to check what programs are on Startup (CCleaner offers a tool to list/edit)

When installing any of the above - select free - uncheck additional options/software etc and uninstall Driver Booster when finished - it's difficult for the none geek to stop it using resources every reboot.

That should clean and tidy most - if it fails to speed up then consider re-installing OS

It's very rare that I have had to re-install an OS but then I'm a regular maintenance freak - I look after my stuff and used to regularly maintain others systems using Teamviewer

Original Poster

bjrosl7 h, 8 m ago

Does it make a lot of noise now? Might be build up of dust raising the …Does it make a lot of noise now? Might be build up of dust raising the temp and throttling the cpu.Try reinstalling windows. It may be due to some crapware wasting your resources or even a virus.

Yes it does make a lot of noise and sometimes it will shut itself down as it says it has overheated....
As I say it’s reasons such as this that makes me think I should replace it as a repair might just be as expensive??

nick198144 m ago

Yes it does make a lot of noise and sometimes it will shut itself down as …Yes it does make a lot of noise and sometimes it will shut itself down as it says it has overheated.... As I say it’s reasons such as this that makes me think I should replace it as a repair might just be as expensive??

There probably a lot of dust build up in your machine , or fan bearings knackered? Depends on age of laptop

nick19812 h, 30 m ago

Yes it does make a lot of noise and sometimes it will shut itself down as …Yes it does make a lot of noise and sometimes it will shut itself down as it says it has overheated.... As I say it’s reasons such as this that makes me think I should replace it as a repair might just be as expensive??

Sounds like a build up of dust. You should at least try to clean it, it's not difficult. Just need to remove the keyboard, maybe remove a few screws and use an air duster, which you can grab for a few quid. It's easy, check out some youtube vids. Blow away the cobwebs as it were.

If you don't fancy that and don't really care too much about the state of the laptop, try using a vacuum cleaner near the fan. Make sure it's on a low setting. That might work.

As per bjrosi's good response

It is time consuming and for some a little frightening the first time - I've done a few

Imagine you have a desk fan and turn it on for a few hours each day - after only a few weeks there will be a build up on the tips of the fan blades

Now imagine that that fan blade spins a lot faster in an enclosed environment and the dust cannot escape because there's a filter on the exhaust vent

Yes it can be real nasty inside unless you live in a (sterile) home that's vacuumed every day then it's possible your laptop could be just like this

32988021-8CyGE.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions