Expired

Laptop Help - £200ish for a 10yo (must play minecraft)

9 replies
Found 7th Dec 2014
As the title says I''m looking to buy a cheap laptop for my 10yo son. The only game he wants to play on it is minecraft (he has an xbox already with minecraft - I don't understand either??) other than that it will just be used for basic browsing.

If anyone can offer some advice for around the £200 mark that would be much appreciated

9 Comments

Original Poster

Can anyone advise please?

Unfortunately I don't think this is possible, a £200 laptop will have integrated graphics and that isn't good enough for minecraft looking at the online minecraft wiki, even when matched with an i5, lots of ram and an ssd. I'm sure if he knew he could have £200 of games or just another platform for minecraft he would pick the games anyway.

Original Poster

MIDURIX

Unfortunately I don't think this is possible, a £200 laptop will have … Unfortunately I don't think this is possible, a £200 laptop will have integrated graphics and that isn't good enough for minecraft looking at the online minecraft wiki, even when matched with an i5, lots of ram and an ssd. I'm sure if he knew he could have £200 of games or just another platform for minecraft he would pick the games anyway.

Thanks for your reply. So will the laptop in the link above not work? I've had this argument with my wife I think it is ridiculous getting the laptop for a game he already has!

From Minecraft.net:

Minecraft system requirementsLast Updated: Jul 22, 2014 09:09PM CESTThis … Minecraft system requirementsLast Updated: Jul 22, 2014 09:09PM CESTThis information has been compiled by the Minecraft community on the Minecraft wiki. Please visit the Hardware Performance wiki page for the most up to date information, or to compare your computer's hardware and software with other users' computers listed as being able to play the game.A computer with the minimum requirements should be able to play Minecraft. However, for the best experience, please consider the recommended requirements.Minimum Requirements:•CPU: Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 (K8) 2.6 GHz•RAM: 2GB•GPU (Integrated): Intel HD Graphics or AMD (formerly ATI) Radeon HD Graphics with OpenGL 2.1•GPU (Discrete): Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT or AMD Radeon HD 2400 with OpenGL 3.1•HDD: At least 200MB for Game Core and Other Files•Java 6 Release 45Recommended Requirements:•CPU: Intel Core i3 or AMD Athlon II (K10) 2.8 GHz•RAM: 4GB•GPU: GeForce 2xx Series or AMD Radeon HD 5xxx Series (Excluding Integrated Chipsets) with OpenGL 3.3•HDD: 1GB•Latest release of Java 7 from java.comSoftware Requirements:•Minecraft Release 1.6 or newer. Older versions will need to be updated to current versions•Please note that some users experience issues playing Minecraft while using a mismatched version of Java for their operating system (32 or 64 bit), while using certain versions of Java 7, or while multiple versions of Java are installed If you have a laptop with an a built-in (integrated) graphics card, rather than a dedicated card, it is highly suggested that you try the demo before purchase. A stable internet connection is required for Minecraft to download game files, authenticate usernames, and connect to multiplayer servers. You'll need to download and run Minecraft while connected to the internet at least once; afterwards, you can play without an internet connection, but will need to connect if you'd like to receive updates or play online. Minecraft will not run on a toaster (despite some actually using Java), your car (feel free to prove us wrong, though), or a Chromebook. Information on system requirements for running a Minecraft server can be found on the Minecraft wiki.

The integrated graphics card in the link above is capable of playing Minecraft. It runs on my 7 year old single core laptop with 2GB of RAM so shouldn't be an issue on the HP one.

My daughter has also asked for a laptop to play Minecraft on despite having it on the Xbox, tablet and a desktop PC!
Edited by: "leeruffles" 7th Dec 2014

I bought this laptop for my daughter. Just waiting for it to arrive to test it out and set it up.

Original Poster

leeruffles

I bought this laptop for my daughter. Just waiting for it to arrive to … I bought this laptop for my daughter. Just waiting for it to arrive to test it out and set it up.

Thanks very much for that. I'll take a look at that laptop it seems decent spec for the money

Picked up the laptop from Tesco last night and it is running Minecraft fine.

One thing I should mention is that it doesn't have a cd/dvd drive despite being pictured as having one.

Original Poster

Thank

leeruffles

Picked up the laptop from Tesco last night and it is running Minecraft … Picked up the laptop from Tesco last night and it is running Minecraft fine.One thing I should mention is that it doesn't have a cd/dvd drive despite being pictured as having one.

Thanks I'll take a look
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Full car respray11
    2. Best Way to Cook Pheasant Breasts?33
    3. Wireless earphones57
    4. Will iPad 2 iOS update slows it down?44

See more discussions