Groups

laptop help

came home and opened up my laptop to find the hinge is lifting the left hand side.

see image in comment.

what is causing this?

16 Comments

I cant see a picture?

Original Poster

jayd95

I cant see a picture?

sorry here
    http://i64.tinypic.com/a9oiu0.jpg

Looks like Screw missing.

The screws under the surface in the hinges must have come out so when you lift the lid the bottom hinge raises, lifting the surface. It's also possible the plastic bits the screws go into have broken and therefore the above applies.

I've had this happen to me. If it's just the screws you can easily sort it. Simply open it up and screw the hinges down.

From your image it looks like you might need a new bottom base for the laptop

Yeap, it isn't just a screw. Looks like metal bushing is out and plastic which kept it on place is damage. Mostly it happens due opening laptop cover by one hand and pulling by one corner. Tensions on laptop base are to big. You should do it with two hands always. Anyway, either new laptop base or some simple homemade solution like new screw and nut if there is enough space. Don't bother with using glue, it is hard to find some glue which can last longer then a week, plastic used to make a laptop is some alien tech. and no glue wants to work with it.

Original Poster

HavocLP

Yeap, it isn't just a screw. Looks like metal bushing is out and plastic … Yeap, it isn't just a screw. Looks like metal bushing is out and plastic which kept it on place is damage. Mostly it happens due opening laptop cover by one hand and pulling by one corner. Tensions on laptop base are to big. You should do it with two hands always. Anyway, either new laptop base or some simple homemade solution like new screw and nut if there is enough space. Don't bother with using glue, it is hard to find some glue which can last longer then a week, plastic used to make a laptop is some alien tech. and no glue wants to work with it.

couldnt use glue anyways as it cant just be pushed back down. i see a screw but no idea how i can get anything in there to screw it

you need to take the base off and get a proper look, should just be phillips screws, quite an easy job on most laptops that way you will know exactly what the problem is

If you aren't comfortable with taking apart your laptop you'll have to bring it to someone who fixes them. The base itself may be around £30, just depends what the model is.

There is screw inside as others said which holds the screen in place, which is probably broke. I had same thing with my toshiba laptop but it was on the right hand side. It was because the usb port broke so i opened the laptop up to replace the damaged usb but when i screwed the screen back the screw hole in the plastic was loose so the screw cant hold any more.

Not an Acer by any chance is it.

is it a compaq? as mine had this and my dad had to screw it back but he did break abit of the black screen casing putting it back. im pretty sure its a screw missing, thats why mine lifted up

Easy fix but you need to open it up and use an epoxy resin to repair the damaged plastic. Have a look to see if this fault hasn't been fixed by a metal bracket as this is probably a common fault.

Depends what model it is. I had this happen on an Acer laptop. Common problem due to hinge failure. The hinge had seized and constant opening and closing requiring a little more pressure results in the cracking of the mounting. The next thing is the casing breaks as there is nothing holding the hinge in place. Most things are fixable but if the hinge has failed on this laptop it will also require a new one as well as repairing the case.

Original Poster

thanks for the replies. the laptop is a hp. it is quite a few years old.
    would a repair shop do it? if so how much would i roughlycost? what about currys/pc world?

little_green

thanks for the replies. the laptop is a hp. it is quite a few years … thanks for the replies. the laptop is a hp. it is quite a few years old.would a repair shop do it? if so how much would i roughlycost? what about currys/pc world?

Yes, a repair shop will do it. You can use currys/pc world or a local shop. Ask them for quotes, they will probably be happy to give you a fixed price but you may have to leave the laptop with them to examine before they can give you a fixed quote.

I reckon around £60, but that is just guess. Never had to do it myself. I normally try to fix tech stuff myself, and often breaks it may i add, or i throw it away and buy a new one, hence i don't mind giving it a go at fixing and breaking it, as i am going to throw it away anyway rather than get it fixed.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Free minion usb stick88
      2. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat99
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2324
      4. Win a two day trip to Greenwich with VisitLondon22

See more discussions