Groups

Laptop Help!!

Looking for a bit of help in choosing a laptop for around £300. It'll be used for browsing the web and streaming. I've been in to Pc World and im struggling on what I should be looking for as a minimum requirement in a laptop.

Anyone help appreciated!

14 Comments

i would go into cex and have a look there, they also give you 2 years warranty, i bought one for my wife hp, 11.6" , it can also be used a a tablet as the screen goes all they way round, you want look at dual core with about 2/4gb ram and decent hard drive. the latest intel chips are better.i paid £180

Get almost any i3 or i5 with a CPU not having a u on the end of it. £50-£100, optional - swap the HD for a SSD £50 - £100 install Klinux as the operating system.

I'd definitely go down the used route the bargain bin brands at that price point tend to fall apart too easily, paint wears off, mouse buttons break, hinges snap etc.

Cex is a good bet as you get the 2 year warranty, failing that I'd go for a Lenovo Thinkpad, they're solidly built generally bomb proof & hold their value. For your money you ought to be able to get a T4xx or T5xx series with an i5 4 or 8gb ram & a good size hard drive.

There's plenty on ebay as genuine refurbs, SVP often sell them too.

I'd try to stay away from really cheap Asus, Acer etc along with the recycled no b and brands like Packard Bell too.

For browsing, streaming, etc I'd look for an i3, 4 or 8gb ram, preferably and SSd (£300 might not be enough for that) or a 500Gb regular hard drive.

CEX is good for second hand or barely used stuff and the 2 years warranty comes handy. If you want brand new from the shop, keep looking here, something will pop up

Consider a chrome book maybe?

There's a few at Tesco Outlet, bought a refurb at Christmas it was brand new, 12 months warranty.
    stores.ebay.co.uk/Tes…c=1

Oh and avoid Acer laptops. Had numerous problems with them and their build quality is sub-par.

118luke

Oh and avoid Acer laptops. Had numerous problems with them and their … Oh and avoid Acer laptops. Had numerous problems with them and their build quality is sub-par.

Likewise!

Vik2ra

Likewise!

​yep completely agree

118luke

Oh and avoid Acer laptops. Had numerous problems with them and their … Oh and avoid Acer laptops. Had numerous problems with them and their build quality is sub-par.

Yes, avoid Acer laptops like the plague!

Again build quality is not that good and their customer services are non existant!

Once purchased get an SSD, OS runs like a dream, and it's fast - but then if you are only streaming and browsing I don't suppose you will need it

Edited by: "saxo_appeal" 28th Feb

What sort of streaming? Watching streamed videos is different to streaming video yourself.

I've got an Acer and it's been fine. It was £250 with an i3 processor, 1080p panel, 128GB SSD and 6GB of RAM. I feel that with the spec/price it doesn't really matter about the build quality as it is so cheap but I've had no issues at all.

OP, if you plan on watching stuff directly on it then I'd go for a decent sized laptop(15"+) that has a 1080p panel if possible as it will give a better viewing experience. For general web browsing and office type programs an i3 processor is more than enough.

Rusty82

I've got an Acer and it's been fine. It was £250 with an i3 processor, … I've got an Acer and it's been fine. It was £250 with an i3 processor, 1080p panel, 128GB SSD and 6GB of RAM. I feel that with the spec/price it doesn't really matter about the build quality as it is so cheap but I've had no issues at all. OP, if you plan on watching stuff directly on it then I'd go for a decent sized laptop(15"+) that has a 1080p panel if possible as it will give a better viewing experience. For general web browsing and office type programs an i3 processor is more than enough.

Bargain.

RiverDragon8

Bargain.

​I agree
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!1719
      2. Iptv1228
      3. Music download79
      4. FedEx sent me a Duty & Tax Invoice - Advice needed67