Laptop help

Found 30th Dec 2017
Hello. Are there any websites that sell laptops with disc drives? Just been on Argos and they don't sell any. All help much appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
ebuyer.com/810…abu

Looks like what you want is becoming harder to find. Would an external DVD work for you?

This one has a dummy DVD port, which I guess allows you to add your own DVD writer/player.

johnlewis.com/len….ds
Predikuesi20 m ago

https://www.ebuyer.com/810125-hp-pavilion-17-ab302na-laptop-2zh53ea-abuLooks like what you want is becoming harder to find. Would an external DVD work for you?This one has a dummy DVD port, which I guess allows you to add your own DVD writer/player.https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideapad-320-laptop-intel-core-i3-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-14-/p3288129?sku=237056336&s_kwcid=2dx92700027884637141&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CjwKCAiAj53SBRBcEiwAT-3A2K0omqWFEkIiGSIKGQqwhZ_hMR7CJTem0PMNDtpxD9nL-CZfn_nJdhoCHWUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for the response.

I'm after a laptop with a disc drive because I want to play a computer game. Just can't seem to find one.
marcb461716 m ago

Thanks for the response. I'm after a laptop with a disc drive because I …Thanks for the response. I'm after a laptop with a disc drive because I want to play a computer game. Just can't seem to find one.

I never buy a laptop without a Blu-ray Drive or a DVD Drive.

What specification did you need (screen size/resolution, CPU type/speed, RAM, Video Card/RAM/brand, ports, etc.) & what is your budget?
Still lots around got one from Argos EBay 3 months ago . Just look for DVD drive /rewriter, normally on the larger 15" models . Or as mentioned you can plug an external DVD drive into a USB port (about £20 ).
Edited by: "rogparki" 30th Dec 2017
fanpages34 m ago

I never buy a laptop without a Blu-ray Drive or a DVD Drive.What …I never buy a laptop without a Blu-ray Drive or a DVD Drive.What specification did you need (screen size/resolution, CPU type/speed, RAM, Video Card/RAM/brand, ports, etc.) & what is your budget?

I just want to play Championship Manager 01/02. Ideally I don't want to spend more than £200.
marcb461715 m ago

I just want to play Championship Manager 01/02. Ideally I don't want to …I just want to play Championship Manager 01/02. Ideally I don't want to spend more than £200.

Championship Season 01/02 is officially available as freeware (from the Eidos web site), so you don't even need a DVD drive...

[ fmscout.com/a-c…tml ]
[ champman0102.co.uk/sho…561 ]
fanpages12 m ago

Championship Season 01/02 is officially available as freeware (from the …Championship Season 01/02 is officially available as freeware (from the Eidos web site), so you don't even need a DVD drive...[ https://www.fmscout.com/a-championship-manager-0102-free-download.html ][ https://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9561 ]

I think I need the disc to download the data updates that are on the champman website.
marcb461720 m ago

I think I need the disc to download the data updates that are on the …I think I need the disc to download the data updates that are on the champman website.

I don't know if that is the case, not having access to the disc but you could download the necessary files elsewhere (on another PC with a DVD drive) & transfer to a DVD-less laptop with a USB memory stick (or similar) though.

Do you have a PC already (with a DVD drive, or otherwise) or is the laptop you are looking for here a dedicated machine for this task?
fanpages8 m ago

I don't know if that is the case, not having access to the disc but you …I don't know if that is the case, not having access to the disc but you could download the necessary files elsewhere (on another PC with a DVD drive) & transfer to a DVD-less laptop with a USB memory stick (or similar) though.Do you have a PC already (with a DVD drive, or otherwise) or is the laptop you are looking for here a dedicated machine for this task?

I had an old laptop but that has now stopped working.
marcb46173 m ago

I had an old laptop but that has now stopped working.

Ah, OK... to fit your budget you could always look at the preowned/reconditioned market.

Not buying a relatively new(er) machine may well offer the DVD drive you seek.

I would try CeX, Morgan Computers, Laptops Direct (as @cecilmcroberts mentioned above), or similar places.
fanpages11 m ago

Ah, OK... to fit your budget you could always look at the …Ah, OK... to fit your budget you could always look at the preowned/reconditioned market.Not buying a relatively new(er) machine may well offer the DVD drive you seek.I would try CeX, Morgan Computers, Laptops Direct (as @cecilmcroberts mentioned above), or similar places.

Dell Outlet also
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 30th Dec 2017
fanpages16 m ago

Ah, OK... to fit your budget you could always look at the …Ah, OK... to fit your budget you could always look at the preowned/reconditioned market.Not buying a relatively new(er) machine may well offer the DVD drive you seek.I would try CeX, Morgan Computers, Laptops Direct (as @cecilmcroberts mentioned above), or similar places.

Yes. I think that's what I will do. Thanks for the help.
It's getting increasingly hard to find new laptops with optical drives. Since you only need it for one single game, it makes no sense to get one.

Best advice is to just get a good laptop, with or without a dvd drive and buy a cheap external dvd drive for your game. They only cost around £10 on amazon and are tiny enough to take with you.
Edited by: "bjrosl" 30th Dec 2017
bjrosl13 m ago

It's getting increasingly hard to find new laptops with optical drives. …It's getting increasingly hard to find new laptops with optical drives. Since you only need it for one single game, it makes no sense to get one.Best advice is to just get a good laptop, with or without a dvd drive and buy a cheap external dvd drive for your game. They only cost around £10 on amazon and are tiny enough to take with you.

Thanks. That's brilliant.
Laptops with disc drives are ancient. New ones dont have the drive as they are designedto be slim and light. Most stuff now runs off usb or directly from downloads.

As above poster said, you can buy a separate disc drive quite cheaply
marcb46172 h, 58 m ago

I think I need the disc to download the data updates that are on the …I think I need the disc to download the data updates that are on the champman website.

Looking through their instructions it appears as if they apply to the installed game, not the disk. That would be the normal way updates are done.

Windows 10 has a built in ability to have a disk image (iso file) pretend to be a DVD drive so you don't even need third party software for that these days.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants