Groups

Laptop help needed again !!

Hi, i asked a while ago about getting my laptop connected to the internet via home broadband, and i was advised to dig out my wireless router and set it up.

I managed to dig out the router still boxed but there is no disc there, which the virgin media site says i need to complete the router set up.

Does any1 know if it can be set up without the installation disc, or even if there is such a device that simply plugs into the home pc, and into the laptop so internet can be used anywhere in the house ( like a usb device)

Many thanks
    Vikki

8 Comments

You should be able to download drivers/installation files on the manufacturers website (the router)

Banned

you need the disc to set up the wirless to the laptop/pc, im getting 50meg installed 2mz il prob get another disc, if i do i could post mine to you if you want?

Original Poster

Issue One;6247997

You should be able to download drivers/installation files on the … You should be able to download drivers/installation files on the manufacturers website (the router)

Thanks for advice will get hubby to look, im not that technical

Original Poster

dj_urban;6248190

you need the disc to set up the wirless to the laptop/pc, im getting … you need the disc to set up the wirless to the laptop/pc, im getting 50meg installed 2mz il prob get another disc, if i do i could post mine to you if you want?

Oh bless you, i did just try to ring virgin who advised that they can configurate from there end, no disc needed??? so im all confused now lol

They said to get all the wires hooked up and ring back, not that i know where each wire is supposed to go !!!!!!!!

Banned

vikkiwathall;6248369

Oh bless you, i did just try to ring virgin who advised that they can … Oh bless you, i did just try to ring virgin who advised that they can configurate from there end, no disc needed??? so im all confused now lolThey said to get all the wires hooked up and ring back, not that i know where each wire is supposed to go !!!!!!!!

lol no problem :thumbsup: least virgin are able to sort it form there end:) you just the modem wire plugged into router, then ethernet wire plugged into router - pc or laptop then all is good

You dont need the disks at all.

Original Poster

dj_urban;6248389

lol no problem :thumbsup: least virgin are able to sort it form there … lol no problem :thumbsup: least virgin are able to sort it form there end:) you just the modem wire plugged into router, then ethernet wire plugged into router - pc or laptop then all is good

Thanks, will give it a go when hubby is here to help me

deathtrap3000;6248435

You dont need the disks at all.

as above you really don't,
    if its a cable setup most require you to use a network cable (like a phone cable but bigger) to connect between router and modem and for first use its best to use another network cable to the computer just to set up the router
    once they are attached turn on in the order, modem, router then pc leaving a minute between
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1420
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846154
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
      4. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218

See more discussions