Found 29th Oct 2016
Hi, I have a Dell Ispiron 3521 laptop...it is a few years old... had no major problems with it... anyway the other day my son drop it onto the floor from the sofa.... Now the problem I have is that the battery will not charge... It runs of the power lead( but seems a bit slower).. The battery icon says "0% available (plugged in, not charging"!!!!! So basically I am running of the power lead...

I have taken it apart and couldnt see anything that sticks out as broken... tried doing a battery recalibration ( which google suggested) but no joy)...Do you reckon the battery could be broken (worked fine before it was dropped)? Is there anyway I can get battery checked?? Dont want to splash out on battery if it isnt that... Any help would be appreciated..

1. Ask
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Laptop
24 Comments

your battery just died (R.I.P), you need a new one...

http://www.topbatteries.co.uk/dell-laptop-battery/inspiron-15-(3521).htm

£22.95 +£5 p&p

-they offer a 30 day money-back guarantee, so if the replacement battery doesnt work, could send back, would only cost shipping..

-if the replacement doesn't charge/work it could be the connection to the laptop for the battery, more costly to get fixed.

and its always handy having a spare battery anyway...

Long shot! Use an ink rubber on the battery contacts or spray with Servisol or similar.
It may be a carbon build up on the contacts.( I have had this problem with a moby charger).

does it have an enable disable charging function key possibly function f2

Have you tried system restore?

System restore? Don't advice him to waste time in that way. Did battery felt out from laptop after fall? Either some connects are broke inside battery or connectors (few golden plates inside battery bay) to motherboard are dmg (probably disconnected from motherboard and need soldering now). I really don't think the battery itself is a problem. Just wondering, why you simply don't go to any computer shop/repair place to check it?

check the charger plug and socket if the little pin in the centre of the plug is damaged or not seating correctly and sending a small amount of current it doesn't accept the charger as a dell one and won't charge the battery

Have you tried turning it off and back on?

Original Poster

HavocLP

System restore? Don't advice him to waste time in that way. Did … System restore? Don't advice him to waste time in that way. Did battery felt out from laptop after fall? Either some connects are broke inside battery or connectors (few golden plates inside battery bay) to motherboard are dmg (probably disconnected from motherboard and need soldering now). I really don't think the battery itself is a problem. Just wondering, why you simply don't go to any computer shop/repair place to check it?

hi, battery never fell out.........cant see any damage to them golden plates either ( i did take top cover off laptop to check for any visual damage).. regarding taking to shop.......I basically trying to do this at the smallest of cost.....

Original Poster

jasong1903

check the charger plug and socket if the little pin in the centre of the … check the charger plug and socket if the little pin in the centre of the plug is damaged or not seating correctly and sending a small amount of current it doesn't accept the charger as a dell one and won't charge the battery

that seems fine mate!

Original Poster

andrewlaw9

does it have an enable disable charging function key possibly function f2

charging is enabled

take a photo of the charging/power port and post it. It may be partially broken, there should be a little plastic cap in there

either it's the battery or the battery contacts, which could be on either side of the battery or the laptop bay.
Replacement battery with free return and 1 year warranty fulfilled by Amazon:
amazon.co.uk/Per…81C

Most likely the power connector, they always go

Original Poster

cowsindahouse

Most likely the power connector, they always go

Power connector??? Do you mean power lead?? I have power to the laptop!!

poolielad

Power connector??? Do you mean power lead?? I have power to the laptop!!

As someone else mentioned above there's a 3rd control wire that i believe provides the charger with feedback to kick up power for charging.

Unfortunately there's no way to know for a laymen like me to know if it's the charger, connector, battery or possibly even something else. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge can steer you in the best direction.

The power cable and connector into the laptop serves 2 purposes.
One is to run your laptop. The other is to charge your battery. Look around ebay and you will see loads of laptops for sale that either do not guarantee the battery will work or better still admit that the charging mechanism is bust.

The problem though in determining exactly whether it is the socket on the laptop or the plug itself or in fact both. You could get a new charger with plug and see what happens - if it works job done - if not then you have wasted the cost of the charger. Better still, find a local small time laptop fixer, tell them the story, ask them for some quick diagnostics and a quote for fixing. Then haggle.

Original Poster

I have tried power cord in another dell laptop,,,,,,,,it does exactly the same thing!!! So I guess its the power cord......Where is the cheapest place to buy one of these please??

poolielad

I have tried power cord in another dell laptop,,,,,,,,it does exactly the … I have tried power cord in another dell laptop,,,,,,,,it does exactly the same thing!!! So I guess its the power cord......Where is the cheapest place to buy one of these please??

Whenever I have had to replace a charger (comes with power cord and cable/connector to laptop) I have always turned to ebay. Be careful that you get the exact spec for your machine or you could end up with wrong type.
Could this fit the bill?
ebay.co.uk/itm…tvj
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 2nd Nov 2016

Original Poster

tardytortoise

Whenever I have had to replace a charger (comes with power cord and … Whenever I have had to replace a charger (comes with power cord and cable/connector to laptop) I have always turned to ebay. Be careful that you get the exact spec for your machine or you could end up with wrong type.

thanks...this site needs a "THANKS" button

I 'fixed' a Dell laptop or two with that prob simply by swapping batteries between two similar-enough laptops then back again.

Something in the micro-gubbins got reset and viola... Working.

If they're cheap enough (and you like the laptop generally) you could grab yourself a second one on ebay... I'm very pro having two...

Original Poster

Thanks for all the help people.......

It was the charger which was broken!!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244870
    2. Add one, leave one game54315392
    3. Marks & Spencer Credit Receipt?22
    4. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322825

See more discussions