Groups

Laptop Help please

Hi

Sorry for posting another question about this - but I'd be grateful on any advice on which laptop I can purchase to take to work with me.

I mainly need it for word, PowerPoint, excel and the Internet! (and one or two work related small software - nothing too heavy)

Storage is not an issue as I will have a memory stick/hard drive, and it doesn't have to have windows 10.

The only thing I don't want is a small screen.

Is it better to get a second hand one for about £100/£150? Or is it better to buy a new one? I currently have a very old laptop which I use like a desktop, so don't want to spend too much money on this.

Thanks again for any help/advice and pointing me in the right direction.

ps: I was considering a chrome book but not sure whether I can use office on that?

5 Comments

germainsophie

Memory is not an issue as I will have a memory stick/hard drive, and it … Memory is not an issue as I will have a memory stick/hard drive, and it doesn't have to have windows 10.

That is storage, memory (RAM) is how much it can work on at once.

germainsophie

Is it better to get a second hand one for about £100/£150? Or is it b … Is it better to get a second hand one for about £100/£150? Or is it better to buy a new one? I currently have a very old laptop which I use like a desktop, so don't want to spend too much money on this.

If you use it like a desktop then why not buy a desktop? Bigger screen, better peripherals.

Generally you're looking at around £300-400 for a reasonable new laptop, maybe up to £500 if you type a lot and want one with a great keyboard.

If you can only afford £150-200 then I'd definitely be looking second hand rather than new, the new ones at that price are cut down beyond the point of sense.

germainsophie

ps: I was considering a chrome book but not sure whether I can use … ps: I was considering a chrome book but not sure whether I can use office on that?

Not the full version of Office, there are the much simplified online/app versions.

Original Poster

germainsophie

Memory is not an issue as I will have a memory stick/hard drive, and it … Memory is not an issue as I will have a memory stick/hard drive, and it doesn't have to have windows 10.

germainsophie

Is it better to get a second hand one for about £100/£150? Or is it b … Is it better to get a second hand one for about £100/£150? Or is it better to buy a new one? I currently have a very old laptop which I use like a desktop, so don't want to spend too much money on this.

germainsophie

ps: I was considering a chrome book but not sure whether I can use … ps: I was considering a chrome book but not sure whether I can use office on that?

​Thanks for clarifying that - I'm not too concerned about the memory or storage.

I need one to take into work with me which is why I'm looking for one.

Thanks for the advice - will start looking on ebay!!

germainsophie

germainsophie

germainsophie

Sent you message regarding question

Original Poster

Sorry not been able to reply as you do not have pm enabled.

germainsophie

Sorry not been able to reply as you do not have pm enabled.

I will enable now thank you
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. McGregor vs Mayweather11
      2. Xperia X - No notification light for Texts?22
      3. Uncharted - The Lost Legacy runtime?22
      4. PayPal payment cancellation?33

See more discussions