Groups
    EXPIRED

Laptop help please

All i want to do on it is browse the internet, download films and maybe play football manager.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Funds are limited so looking for a bargain really.

Thank you

9 Comments

Would you consider a used laptop ?

I have got one for sale

What sort of budget you got?

Original Poster

megalomaniac

What sort of budget you got?

I'd say £300 max

£300 is around the baseline price for new laptops, but there are a few about at the moment. Ebuyer have four which can be bought for £310 or less after google-checkout, all have 512mb ram and 60gb hard disc and a DVD-RW. Avoid getting a Vista model with only 512mb of ram (unless your prepared to spend an extra £20 or so to upgrade the ram to 1gb yourself).

This ]HP (Celeron 1.73GHz with XP Home) is £289 delivered, the cheapest they have.

]Laptops direct have a couple for £300

Dell have a dual-core, Vista 1GB ram laptop for ]£340, Dell deals are usually posted early Thursday I think so its worth checking this site tomorrow to see if there are any bargains.

Original Poster

jah128

£300 is around the baseline price for new laptops, but there are a few … £300 is around the baseline price for new laptops, but there are a few about at the moment. Ebuyer have four which can be bought for £310 or less after google-checkout, all have 512mb ram and 60gb hard disc and a DVD-RW. Avoid getting a Vista model with only 512mb of ram (unless your prepared to spend an extra £20 or so to upgrade the ram to 1gb yourself).This ]HP (Celeron 1.73GHz with XP Home) is £289 delivered, the cheapest they have.]Laptops direct have a couple for £300Dell have a dual-core, Vista 1GB ram laptop for ]£340, Dell deals are usually posted early Thursday I think so its worth checking this site tomorrow to see if there are any bargains.

what sort would you suggest mate?

bearing in mind i only want to browse internet, download and watch films and play football manager

I could prob go to £350 max

And would you recomend buying second hand?

cheers

Original Poster

What sort would you suggest Jah128?

Like i say i want one just to browse internet, download/watch films and play a bit of football manager.

Is pre-owned a good idea?

I could maybe stretch to £350

cheers

Personally given your budget I'd buy new, just so you have the full warranty etc. Stretching to £350 opens up the possibilities of getting dual-core laptops and those with 1gb of ram, which are both well worth it in my opinion, even for simple tasks.

Brand wise I like Toshiba and Fujitsu Siemens and Lenovo at this price point - they both make basic, functional and reliable machines. Acer tend to make half-decent cheap machines, and I've heard others rate Asus highly (2yr warranty I believe which is good). Personally not quite so keen on Dell, HP, Compaq, Packard Bell and the likes, but largely down to personal choice.

Its worth going into a shop to have a look at a few (somewhere like Dixons, PC-World or Comet) and to make sure that a 15.4" screen (the standard now) is what you want - you probably won't be able to afford a larger 17" screen model but you may find a smaller, more portable 14" model in your budget.

Original Poster

Thank you sir

I think the Dell deal is probably the best value, as its dual core and 1GB of ram. Nothing else I've seen can really compete with that one price. That said it might be worth waiting till tomorrow to see if there is a better Dell deal. If you do go for the Dell I'd get the uprated battery (53Wh) if you intend on running you laptop off the battery at all, the specified one really isn't much use.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1918
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would30124
      3. word association Game74044563
      4. Does anyone have a Sky voucher code that they wont use?33

See more discussions