Laptop help please - is this really a good deal?

23 replies
Found 8th Feb 2009
Rep for good advice as always

link in next post

1. Misc
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Laptop
21 Comments

Banned

grex9101;4325121

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/334598/sony-vaio-ar71s-17-notebook-749-95-/showthread.php?t=334598

Its a good spec apart from the screen res.

processor is very good. need vista or xp 64bit before you see all 4gb ram.

the laptop is going to be pretty big, bulky and heavy so I hope you are not looking to have it too mobile...

but I would go for it if i was looking for such a macine. Vaios are very good quality,

Original Poster

imranmaz;4325193

Its a good spec apart from the screen res.processor is very good. need … Its a good spec apart from the screen res.processor is very good. need vista or xp 64bit before you see all 4gb ram.the laptop is going to be pretty big, bulky and heavy so I hope you are not looking to have it too mobile...but I would go for it if i was looking for such a macine. Vaios are very good quality,

Thanks mate, I know you know your stuff when it comes to these things.

How does it compare (in your opinion) to this one (my current):

microanvika.com/pro…748

It's not going to be TOO portable anyway, mostly sitting it on my knee (I'm a big guy!) - build quality is V.Impotant as my current HPs screen has died and I'm none too pleased about it.

I would say that is a very nice laptop to be fair for the price.

Dedicated 8600 GFX and 9300 processor, blu-ray with 4 gig ram would make this excellent for media and also medium end games. Crysis wouldn't be playable but most games should be alright.

Along with the Vaio tag I would certainly be looking at this is if I was out for a new medium/high performance laptop at this price.

Original Poster

morrk;4325240

I would say that is a very nice laptop to be fair for the price.Dedicated … I would say that is a very nice laptop to be fair for the price.Dedicated 8600 GFX and 9300 processor, blu-ray with 4 gig ram would make this excellent for media and also medium end games. Crysis wouldn't be playable but most games should be alright.Along with the Vaio tag I would certainly be looking at this is if I was out for a new medium/high performance laptop at this price.

Again, thanks. Not TOO bothered about the gaming side of things as I have both a 360 and a ps3 for that, but would be used as for a lot of media stuff - is the screen a great concern? The 1440*900 resolution is what I currently have and everything looks crisp etc

My personal opinion is that 1440x900 is fine for a 17" screen.

Have you seen this one?

argos.co.uk/sta…htm

I have the 16" version and it's a great machine to be fair.

what i dont get is why it has a blu ray player and awful resolution

Original Poster

morrk;4325281

Have you seen this … Have you seen this one?http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5081134/c_1/1%7Ccat_12108629%7CComputers+and+laptops%7C12108658/Trail/searchtext%3EGEMSTONE.htmI have the 16" version and it's a great machine to be fair.

Hmm, for the price I'd stick with the sony (better make?) - 18.4" is a MONSTER!!!!

acecatcher3;4325308

It outputs via hdmi and is also a burner

acecatcher3;4325308

Full 1080p won't be appreciated t 17" anyways.

The blu-ray player will come into all is glory when connecting the laptop to a 1080p panel :thumbsup:

Hmm, for the price I'd stick with the sony (better make?) - 18.4" is a … Hmm, for the price I'd stick with the sony (better make?) - 18.4" is a MONSTER!!!!

I'd probably agree

Original Poster

the porter;4325410

i have the vaio fw21l and out of interest is mine a burner ?

Bluray playback only I'm afraid. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Gonna bite the bullet.

Now where's the credit card?!

grex9101;4325504

Gonna bite the bullet.Now where's the credit card?!

In the other halfs pocket?

Well I know mine is

Original Poster

morrk;4325685

In the other halfs pocket?Well I know mine is

Worse than that - it's hers!!!

Banned

grex9101;4325504

Gonna bite the bullet.Now where's the credit card?!

sorry mate had logged out to get ready for work.... this new machine is going to be much better for you in the long run...but out of the box you wont notice the difference in performance i dont think as your current machine seems like a good spec to run vista/office apps and surf on. Its things like video conversion and games that you would notice a difference. but hey, it will be usable for alot longer than your current machine (which i would sell as it seems like decent spec anyway)
4gb ram will be more than enough to see you through lots of different applications for a long time. The processor is awesome too!

with regards to the screen playing HD movies on a screen smaller than 32"/42" you wont notice a major difference and you hit the nail on the head with the fact it has HDMI out and a burner.

Its going to be excellent quality re build... viaos are very nice. you wont be dissapointed.

grex9101;4325691

Worse than that - it's hers!!!

Crickey. You got major balls mate ;-)

Original Poster

imranmaz;4325694

sorry mate had logged out to get ready for work.... this new machine is … sorry mate had logged out to get ready for work.... this new machine is going to be much better for you in the long run...but out of the box you wont notice the difference in performance i dont think as your current machine seems like a good spec to run vista/office apps and surf on. Its things like video conversion and games that you would notice a difference. but hey, it will be usable for alot longer than your current machine (which i would sell as it seems like decent spec anyway) 4gb ram will be more than enough to see you through lots of different applications for a long time. The processor is awesome too!with regards to the screen playing HD movies on a screen smaller than 32"/42" you wont notice a major difference and you hit the nail on the head with the fact it has HDMI out and a burner.Its going to be excellent quality re build... viaos are very nice. you wont be dissapointed.

Thanks for getting back to me matel, appreciate it. going to go for it!

If I could be so presumptuous as to ask further of your knowledge - how much do you think I would get for my current system? Excellent condition - only problems are the aforementioned screen needing replaced and cosmetic damage to the bezel (also the windows install isn't legit as I lost the recovery partition although I assume a quick call to MS would fix this?)

Original Poster

morrk;4325757

Crickey. You got major balls mate ;-)

lol.

I got permission first - I ain't THAT brave!! :thumbsup:

Banned

grex9101;4325774

Thanks for getting back to me matel, appreciate it. going to go for it!If … Thanks for getting back to me matel, appreciate it. going to go for it!If I could be so presumptuous as to ask further of your knowledge - how much do you think I would get for my current system? Excellent condition - only problems are the aforementioned screen needing replaced and cosmetic damage to the bezel (also the windows install isn't legit as I lost the recovery partition although I assume a quick call to MS would fix this?)

i'm not too sure to be honest... but what i would say is dont sell it on here or ebay... try at work or loot or something... people will probs rip you off on price here and scam you on ebay..

also find out how much it would cost to fix and see if it is worth your while to fix then sell. :thumbsup:

if you have the license key sticker on you laptop then ringing MS should sort it out or you could try re-installing and using the license key and see if it works then call MS if it doesnt.

Original Poster

imranmaz;4325804

i'm not too sure to be honest... but what i would say is dont sell it on … i'm not too sure to be honest... but what i would say is dont sell it on here or ebay... try at work or loot or something... people will probs rip you off on price here and scam you on ebay..also find out how much it would cost to fix and see if it is worth your while to fix then sell. :thumbsup:if you have the license key sticker on you laptop then ringing MS should sort it out or you could try re-installing and using the license key and see if it works then call MS if it doesnt.

Thanks for the advice (again!) - looking at ~ £170 for a screen fix hence just getting a brand new lappy. I'm pretty wise to scammers on Ebay, but I'll look at small ads first.

Thanks for the advice! :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Why was the deal I just posted removed?78
    2. Foo fighters presale code.109
    3. Advice on a cheaper hand held vacuum please.33
    4. Lost snipping tool on windows 10 laptop48

See more discussions