Groups

Laptop Help - - - PLEEEAASE HELP ME

Banned
    I've had a HP laptop for about a year, it's a HP DV2036ea (1gb ram, AMD Dual Core, XP etc).

Over the past couple of months it's had problems booting, when you turn it on the lights come on but doesn't boot up, if you turn on and off a few times it eventually boots. Recently when it boots after it's got past the XP logo the sreen starts moving around and has lines going accross it....

What is wrong? is my screen knacked? the graphics card? other?

please help, am having to use my PS3 to get online :-(

16 Comments

have u tried restoring it?

Original Poster Banned

onlyme23;3047822

have u tried restoring it?

sadly lost the resotre disks

Zootaga;3047944

sadly lost the resotre disks

it may just be a case of corrupted windows but without bein able to restore you wont be able to test :thumbsup:

that is the first thing i would check before going down the hardware route

(you say about a year.... above or below? if just under it should be under warranty)

Original Poster Banned

warranty expired a few months back as i bought referb with 6 months warranty, have just put another hard drive in and am gonna try a downloaded copy of XP (Shhh, although I do have the COA so it should be fine).

The screen is fine whilst installing, but still took a couple of attemps to get to the boot process

Zootaga;3048029

warranty expired a few months back as i bought referb with 6 months … warranty expired a few months back as i bought referb with 6 months warranty, have just put another hard drive in and am gonna try a downloaded copy of XP (Shhh, although I do have the COA so it should be fine).The screen is fine whilst installing, but still took a couple of attemps to get to the boot process

it doesnt sound like a screen issue if its fine while installin which usually rules out graphic issue too, your best plan is download the windows use your coa and then thats perfectly legal and see if that fixes it. Does sound like it could well be a windows issue especially if youve already changed the harddrive :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

I've gone through the clean install process but when it gets to restart it won't do it because of the boot issues, when it eventually does boot it wants to start again :-(

Zootaga;3048168

I've gone through the clean install process but when it gets to restart … I've gone through the clean install process but when it gets to restart it won't do it because of the boot issues, when it eventually does boot it wants to start again :-(

have u got it set to boot from cd or harddrive first cause if its bootin from cd it will restart it everytime it needs to be booting from harddrive to continue installation.

is this on a different hard drive?

Original Poster Banned

onlyme23;3048217

have u got it set to boot from cd or harddrive first cause if its bootin … have u got it set to boot from cd or harddrive first cause if its bootin from cd it will restart it everytime it needs to be booting from harddrive to continue installation.is this on a different hard drive?

Yeah this a new 250gb hard drive that I actually bought to upgrade my PS3....

Having kept trying and it;s now going through the install process....

The problem is still there though? why won't it boot everytime?

Zootaga;3048263

Yeah this a new 250gb hard drive that I actually bought to upgrade my … Yeah this a new 250gb hard drive that I actually bought to upgrade my PS3....Having kept trying and it;s now going through the install process....The problem is still there though? why won't it boot everytime?

might be a damaged boot sector which new install would fix, try completing the new windows installation and see if that helps.

If not then youll be lookin at some kinda hardware error, the obvious one would be harddrive but obviously if youve replaced that and kept the problem it cant be, so i would next go down the road of faulty ram or even a motherboard problem

Original Poster Banned

onlyme23;3048334

might be a damaged boot sector which new install would fix, try … might be a damaged boot sector which new install would fix, try completing the new windows installation and see if that helps.If not then youll be lookin at some kinda hardware error, the obvious one would be harddrive but obviously if youve replaced that and kept the problem it cant be, so i would next go down the road of faulty ram or even a motherboard problem

I have already tried booting with only 1 stick of ram (tried both) but didn't help, what are the odds of both being faulty?

What is the graphics chipset? If it's a Geforce 8400 or 8600 it may be covered under a limited extended warranty, check it out here h10025.www1.hp.com/ewf…=us

Go through all the steps and phone HP, fingers crossed you're covered

Zootaga;3048400

I have already tried booting with only 1 stick of ram (tried both) but … I have already tried booting with only 1 stick of ram (tried both) but didn't help, what are the odds of both being faulty?

tisnt likely both would be but tis possible

just wondering but i got a hp and when mine is booting i get the option to press f11 for recovery which then has a built in ram test does yours have anything like that?

Original Poster Banned

onlyme23;3048440

tisnt likely both would be but tis possiblejust wondering but i got a hp … tisnt likely both would be but tis possiblejust wondering but i got a hp and when mine is booting i get the option to press f11 for recovery which then has a built in ram test does yours have anything like that?

ooh, I'll check it out, thanks

When I boot mine if you press f8 it gives you the option to repair your computer.
    Mine is Vista it might be different on XP.

try it without the battery in

did the new windows installation help at all?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …172450
      2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416214108
      3. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1848
      4. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1329

See more discussions