Groups

laptop Help PLZ !!!

i have a laptop running on Home Premium and on my computer it has 2 hard disk drives 1 call Vista (C:) and this is almost full is this anything to worry about

14 Comments

It will have one physical drive which is partitioned (split) into 2 drives. When your disk gets full up your laptoop will slow down considerably. Your C drive is your "working" disk. The other is probably a recovery partition - leave this well alone.

You need to delete what you don't need and run a defrag :

1) Go to My Computer
    2) Right click on C: then click properties
    3) Run Disk Cleanup first (may take a few mins)
    4) Go to second tab and run defrag (could take an hour or two)

or move some stuff to the other drive

Original Poster

tallpete33;6301739

It will have one physical drive which is partitioned (split) into 2 … It will have one physical drive which is partitioned (split) into 2 drives. When your disk gets full up your laptoop will slow down considerably. Your C drive is your "working" disk. The other is probably a recovery partition - leave this well alone.You need to delete what you don't need and run a defrag :1) Go to My Computer2) Right click on C: then click properties3) Run Disk Cleanup first (may take a few mins)4) Go to second tab and run defrag (could take an hour or two)

ok thanks if it doesnt make much difference how big are they on a normal desktop because thinkin of swaping ??
    thanks again

Original Poster

i just ran the scan it can clear 1 Gb bit rubbish

How big is each partition, and how much space is being used on them? (you can find out by clicking on Start>My Computer, then right-clicking on them & selecting 'properties').

Original Poster

Vista (C:) = 1 Gb free of 55.7Gb

Data (E:) = 2Gb of 54Gb

Hmmm, you have a lot of programs/data on there; I was thinking that maybe the C:\ drive was full but that the other partition wasn't being used much. Your only way to sort out the lack of space is to delete some stuff, move some stuff on to an external hard drive or replace the hard drive with a larger one.

Original Poster

does any1 know any cheap base units which are good most prob just hook up to my TV

or you could buy an external drive to place your media files onto

tonyd19565;6302330

or you could buy an external drive to place your media files onto

That's the best option.

Original Poster

ino but i wud most prob end up loosing it plus i fancy getting something new maybe a base unit then hook up to TV

Why would you lose it?

1TB external drive would cost you about £60

If that's the only reason then i wouldn't say it was worth it, if there's more reasons then why not!

Original Poster

ino but relli fancy something new

Murphy94;6301948

Vista (C:) = 1 Gb free of 55.7Gb Data (E:) = 2Gb of 54Gb

[FONT=Verdana]Have you ran any disk analysis software (i.e. TreeSize Professional) to see what's taking up all of the disk space on the two drives on your computer?

Just a thought, as at least that way you can review them better via the visual report or the one you can export from it.

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3881542
      2. What is there free to do in your town?1827
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…2282
      4. word association Game72944196

See more discussions