LAPTOP INTERNAL MOUSE HELP WANTED

Found 28th Mar 2010
hi can someone please help
i have a sony vaio laptop model number VGN-NR21J/S
it was the one littlewoods were doing for £299 about 20 months ago
what has happened is the cat walked over the keyboard last night and you heard a pinging noise like the keys were being pressed, after that the mouse wsnt working
i have done a full reformat back to as the laptop was shipped and still no joy
has anybody got any ideas what it could be
i can use an external usb mouse no problem
wouldnt of thought the light footsteps of the cat could cause damage
cant see any switch to turn off the mouse
and doing a full re-format would of thought if you could turn it off with the keyboard it would be working now but it isn't
any help will be appreciated
thanks in advance

11 Comments

Reformatting's a bit of an overreaction, isn't it? Think about it - it's either physical damage that a reformat won't fix, or it's a setting that's simply been toggled when the cat formed a keycombo with its paws. Check your touchpad settings, there's probably a tickbox there to re-enable it.

Go into control panel then hardware and sound, you should find the touchpad settings there.

Original Poster

dxx;8230807

Reformatting's a bit of an overreaction, isn't it? Think about it - it's … Reformatting's a bit of an overreaction, isn't it? Think about it - it's either physical damage that a reformat won't fix, or it's a setting that's simply been toggled when the cat formed a keycombo with its paws. Check your touchpad settings, there's probably a tickbox there to re-enable it.

i tend to do a reformat every now and then anyway just to keep the laptop clean anyway so wasnt really a problem, if it was the touch pad settings i would of thought that by re-formatting it it should of restored the settings back so looks like hardware failure, have gave back the usb mouse i borrowed now so will have to try and get a cheap one tomorrow to check the settings but dont hokld out much hope, thanks for your response
Broxy;8231053

Go into control panel then hardware and sound, you should find the … Go into control panel then hardware and sound, you should find the touchpad settings there.

will give it a go, thanks for replying

Original Poster

just tried it using the windows key, tab key and return key etc....
using vista
i went to control panel / hardware and sound and clicked on mouse and across to the hardware tab
and there is no name or any info in device propities
but cant see no errors in device manager (yellow triangle with ! in it)

It sounds like the touchpad connector has detached then or it's damaged, I'm not familiar with the model so I've no idea how easy it is to get the keyboard and possibly the palmrest up to check it.

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;8231812

It sounds like the touchpad connector has detached then or it's damaged, … It sounds like the touchpad connector has detached then or it's damaged, I'm not familiar with the model so I've no idea how easy it is to get the keyboard and possibly the palmrest up to check it.John

yeah i was thinking the same about the connector coming away
as it has never gave me a problem and was working fine till the cat walked on the keyboard
i have dis-asembled and put back together a gateway laptop both with MA2 and MA7 motherboards following a guide i found on google,so will have to have a look tomorrow to see if i can find one
if anyone knows any good sites please let me know
thanks in advance

Original Poster

dcx_badass;8232741

A lot of laptops have a hotkey to turn off the touch pad, check that's … A lot of laptops have a hotkey to turn off the touch pad, check that's not been hit.

thanks everyone for their replies
would of thought after re-formatting if it was a hotkey the setting should of gone back to its standard setting (or maybe not)
after re-formatting on sunday it still wasnt working and wasn't working all day sunday
and there were not settings in control panel/ mouse etc...
just switched on before a i tried to take it appart and now it working
very weird one but happy bunny again;-)
will see how long it lasts
thanks again

Banned

Cats hate mice. There's your problem right there.

Original Poster

DanJackson;8238419

Cats hate mice. There's your problem right there.

very good (LOL) :giggle:

scoot;8238411

thanks everyone for their replieswould of thought after re-formatting if … thanks everyone for their replieswould of thought after re-formatting if it was a hotkey the setting should of gone back to its standard setting (or maybe not)after re-formatting on sunday it still wasnt working and wasn't working all day sundayand there were not settings in control panel/ mouse etc...just switched on before a i tried to take it appart and now it workingvery weird one but happy bunny again;-)will see how long it laststhanks again

Many hotkeys will send bios calls rather than change the setting within Windows which means reinstalling the OS would make no difference.

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;8238766

Many hotkeys will send bios calls rather than change the setting within … Many hotkeys will send bios calls rather than change the setting within Windows which means reinstalling the OS would make no difference.John

cheers for that, makes sence why it happened then
will look into it now
thanks again
[COLOR=red]EDIT[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]cant find shortcut/hot key[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]but found this,so if it happens again will look at the pointing device exe as stated here in post number 6[/COLOR]
forums.techarena.in/vis…htm
Post a comment
@
    Text