Laptop issue

Posted 23rd Oct
Hi, got a laptop Im trying to fix for a friend, its a Toshiba Satellite L50. Problem is it wont do anything its like its completely dead. Charge light comes on and mains indicator comes on when battery removed but it wont turn on!

He said it was working then its sat in the box for 5 years

Tried it with the battery in, battery out, held the power button in with battery out, opened it up the power button seems to be ok when tested with a meter.

Any ideas?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

28 Comments
Could be bad power button
That's an interesting one. Cmos battery on mobo corroded with age and leaked perhaps? If it was something simple like memory not seated correctly or HDD seized, you would at least get a POST beep. When you say nothing, you do mean zero - i.e. you don't even get an attempt to access BIOS?

Sat in box? Where was box? Has damp gotten to it? Could you attempt booting from a USB/CD based OS such as Linux? Probably not though if you're not getting as far as POST.

Hmmm, tricky...
If it doesn’t get even power into BIOS it’s toast. Do a visual inspection of the motherboard see if you can get a clue. If not, bin it.
Edited by: "Dr-Rjinswand" 23rd Oct
replace CMOS battery CR20xx
Try screen connectors, try plugging in a separate monitor, good luck
Start with the basics. If the power supply isn't correct then further testing may be fruitless, and not clear what is meant by "mains indicator comes on when battery removed". Checking the voltage of the external PSU may not be sufficient; really need to see what current is being drawn, or not being drawn. May be easier to substitute the external power brick with known good one of suitable electrical & physical barrel connector, 19V min 65W with 5.5mm x 2.5mm barrel (specs from memory so best checked), with belt&braces check of orig PSU on a similar 19V 5.5mm x 2.5mm device with flat battery.
Chuck it find a deal get a new one sorted
Not sure if your laptop has it but some Toshiba models have a reset button located at base which you’ll need a pin to press it.
If not, then my best guess would be that you open the laptop and make sure all the connectors/strips are properly connected to the motherboard and one another.
It doesn’t have 2 batteries does it like some Lenovo’s? I had a similar issue, had to take apart my work laptop and disconnect the second battery, once reconnected it worked.
Thanks for the replies

No CMOS battery on the mobo, apparently it uses the laptops battery.

No second battery

Nothing at all, press the button and nothing its like no power is getting to it

Mains power indicator as in when battery is charging its orange, when no battery in or battery charged its white

Psu is sending 19V out wi try another and see

Board looks ok, tried removing ram and hdd etc and same...

Got sick of it and tried jumping the power button connector points on the mobo with a thin wire and still nothing... Well i found the connectors that power the led for the power button that was it as that came on lol...

Will have another look and see. Annoying thing is it looks brand new no fingerprints or anything, like he said he bought it used it a few times got a tablet and never used the laptop again...
Thanks
Steve-O.200824/10/2019 18:29

Thanks for the replies No CMOS battery on the mobo, apparently it uses …Thanks for the replies No CMOS battery on the mobo, apparently it uses the laptops battery. No second batteryNothing at all, press the button and nothing its like no power is getting to itMains power indicator as in when battery is charging its orange, when no battery in or battery charged its whitePsu is sending 19V out wi try another and seeBoard looks ok, tried removing ram and hdd etc and same... Got sick of it and tried jumping the power button connector points on the mobo with a thin wire and still nothing... Well i found the connectors that power the led for the power button that was it as that came on lol... Will have another look and see. Annoying thing is it looks brand new no fingerprints or anything, like he said he bought it used it a few times got a tablet and never used the laptop again... Thanks

I've never heard of that before. Unless it's an on-board capacitor it would need a CMOS battery to retain the BIOS settings. When your laptop battery is removed, all the BIOS settings would go otherwise!
Steve-O.200824/10/2019 18:29

Thanks for the replies No CMOS battery on the mobo, apparently it uses …Thanks for the replies No CMOS battery on the mobo, apparently it uses the laptops battery.

Ah, that model. You could try a reset on jumper G2 or G1002 (pls check, it's been ages since I played with an Lxx). Otherwise I'd go for flat and totally dead unrevivable main battery attempting to take too much power from charging circuit, hence lappy won't boot with battery inserted. Lappy also won't boot with battery removed cos the integral "CMOS" is usually utterly confused by no power, in which case the solution would be to buy new battery (or attempt to inject 30W+ of 19V across the correct battery connections in the bat compartment and add suitable themo resistance = not for the faint-hearted). A typical blag ebay battery will set you back about £14 ex-UK. Best not to buy a used / pre-owned battery as you might be buying the same issue...
Thanks I will have a look for that jumper and try that

If that doesnt work I will suggest he tries a ebay battery

Thanks again
Also try removing the ram and reconnecting it. This will involve opening up the laptop, normally just a patch you need to undo.
Steve-O.200824/10/2019 20:31

Thanks I will have a look for that jumper and try thatIf that doesnt work …Thanks I will have a look for that jumper and try thatIf that doesnt work I will suggest he tries a ebay batteryThanks again

There is no separate CMOS battery with this model according to the user manual for Toshiba Satellite L50. The main battery provides the power to maintain the RTC and system configuration. So, as you said get eBay battery or, apply 16v from another working battery
splender26/10/2019 22:40

There is no separate CMOS battery with this model according to the user …There is no separate CMOS battery with this model according to the user manual for Toshiba Satellite L50. The main battery provides the power to maintain the RTC and system configuration. So, as you said get eBay battery or, apply 16v from another working battery

I'm so glad I read the OP's thread (and your comment) as I've learnt something new. That's what I love about the forum and community. Such a wealth of helpful tips and knowledge that you can't always see easily from a simple "Google."

Let's hope Steve-O.2008 can breathe some life back into the lappy, eh?

Regards, Phsy.
Got an update, got a battery from amazon, fitted it and the power light came on, numlock light, cap locks light and hdd light But that was it. No screen. Plugged power supply in and the charger light came on but still no display. Xould open and close the cd tray.

Tried to turn it off to turn it on again but wouldn't go off, tried holding power button but still wouldnt. Pulled the power supply and still nothing, pulled the battery and went off as expected

Put battery back in but nothing, connected psu up but not even getting charger light now :-(

Left my multimeter at my mum and dads so will get that and check voltages again..

Thanks
Steve-O.200830/10/2019 18:19

Got an update, got a battery from amazon, fitted it and the power light …Got an update, got a battery from amazon, fitted it and the power light came on, numlock light, cap locks light and hdd light But that was it. No screen. Plugged power supply in and the charger light came on but still no display. Xould open and close the cd tray. Tried to turn it off to turn it on again but wouldn't go off, tried holding power button but still wouldnt. Pulled the power supply and still nothing, pulled the battery and went off as expected Put battery back in but nothing, connected psu up but not even getting charger light now :-(Left my multimeter at my mum and dads so will get that and check voltages again.. Thanks

Love to see updates to threads. Helps with OCD.

From the outside, it still sounds as if there's an issue with the power button doesn't it?
Phsycronix30/10/2019 19:18

...From the outside, it still sounds as if there's an issue with the power …...From the outside, it still sounds as if there's an issue with the power button doesn't it?

No.
Lol i will open it up again, unless the new battery has somehow blew the psu... Fuse is ok on it..
Connect the second output to a TV, could be the display is dead or at least the backlight
Still nothing, its like the cheap amazon battery has killed something else inside it as not even getting the led to indicate the power adapter is connected...

Checked mains voltage and outputting 19v, opened up laptop and the mains connector on the board is reading 19v

Checked battery voltage and 3.8v on the original as expected due to it sitting 5 years most likely dead cells...

Checked amazon battery and getting 14.1 volt

Is there any voltage test points or onboard fuses on laptop motherboard's?

You can see how new the laptop still is, theres not even a trace of dust or anything on the cooling fan or fins seems a shame to bin it...

Could always try the oven method to reflow solder points....

Thanks
I'm not saying another word. Hehe.
Try replacing the CMOS battery, it could be dead too
esar02/11/2019 12:07

Try replacing the CMOS battery, it could be dead too

No CMOS battery on these uses the main battery
Can you see any electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard?
38884862-B382v.jpgIf the tops are like the picture, they need to be changed
No capacitors like that on the board they are all tiny surface rectangular shaped ones and look fine.

Thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants