Groups

Laptop Issue: Power

Mates just text me saying his laptop won't turn on.. (currently at work so he cant tell me the model number)

apart from the obvious (dead battery or blown fuse), is there any other reason why it may not power on?

15 Comments

saying his laptop would turn on

You mean wouldn't?

But yes, battery, could be a dead motherboard etc etc.

Could be anything, memory. Graphics card anything simple as a faulty power adaptor.

Will need more information.

most likely to be a dead battery but find out the model

Original Poster

Adam2050;6866830

Could be anything, memory. Graphics card anything simple as a faulty … Could be anything, memory. Graphics card anything simple as a faulty power adaptor. Will need more information.

lol - I know - i've asked him for more info, but thats all he can tell me. :thumbsup::thumbsup: hes not very IT literate like.. just about knows how to post on a forum and thats it tbh.

I'll know more if/when I go down his, but until then, thats all the info I can give, so any suggestions welcome.

Borat;6866864

most likely to be a dead battery but find out the model

but the laptop would still work from the mains without the battery, No?

Carley;6866867

Is your mate a deep sea diver? maybe it's waterlogged?

Or flooded the search engine:whistling:

why's he texted you? why doesn't he speak to his IT dept at work

Original Poster

Alfonse;6866885

why's he texted you? why doesn't he speak to his IT dept at work

its a personal laptop (at home), and because I've always helped him with any IT problems, plus I get a couple pints outta it! :oops::whistling:

Disco;6866892

its a personal laptop (at home), and because I've always helped him with … its a personal laptop (at home), and because I've always helped him with any IT problems, plus I get a couple pints outta it! :oops::whistling:

fair enough

Disco;6866892

its a personal laptop (at home), and because I've always helped him with … its a personal laptop (at home), and because I've always helped him with any IT problems, plus I get a couple pints outta it! :oops::whistling:

I wonder if he knows that his IT 'experts' first port of call is asking on HUKD where any answers will only be pure conjecture?

Without seeing the laptop and ruling out the simple things it could be anything, first would be to check power indicator on the adaptor is on then multimeter on the plug to see its outputting the correct voltage, cant see it being the battery if the power supply is working as most will run just from mains, I would try it with and without the battery though, also check the ram is seated properly as they can come lose if given a slight knock, which would prevent booting.

Does he mean it wont turn on full stop or just wont boot? I've had people tell me a 'puter wont turn on when they mean it wont boot.

Original Poster

deek72;6866972

I wonder if he knows that his IT 'experts' first port of call is asking … I wonder if he knows that his IT 'experts' first port of call is asking on HUKD where any answers will only be pure conjecture?

I said I would ask about intially as, not seeing the laptop myself it is quiet hard to work out what it is. By gaining suggestions from guys (and girls) on here I should be able to suss out the problem!

harlzter;6866977

Does he mean it wont turn on full stop or just wont boot? I've had people … Does he mean it wont turn on full stop or just wont boot? I've had people tell me a 'puter wont turn on when they mean it wont boot.

AFAIK, I think it "wont turn on", as I asked him to run it from the mains, but he said even then, it dont work

Depending on the model of the laptop, the switch which tells the laptop if the lid is closed may be stuck. If it is, it won't power up with or without the adapter.

Maybe they've just had a bit of a falling out..?

i kno it sounds dumb, but check the battery is in properly, a few weeks ago my mums laptop wouldnt turn on even when connected to the mains, my brother came home, took out the battery, blew in the space to make sure there was no dust, put it back in, and it switched on straight away.

Original Poster

tatemze;6867422

i kno it sounds dumb, but check the battery is in properly, a few weeks … i kno it sounds dumb, but check the battery is in properly, a few weeks ago my mums laptop wouldnt turn on even when connected to the mains, my brother came home, took out the battery, blew in the space to make sure there was no dust, put it back in, and it switched on straight away.

oh. knowing him, it'll be summit simple! .. :x
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine11
      2. Win a Mazona Olympus 8kW multi-fuel stove @ Gr8 Fires33
      3. Jazz apple slicer for the price of a stamp33
      4. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains55

See more discussions