Found 2nd Dec 2014
Hopefully someone can help as Im getting nowhere with google. I seem to have done something to my laptop so that I can't type any of the symbols in the top left corner of the keyboard buttons. I have to use the caps lock button for capitals rather than the shortcut and the most annoying is that I can't type the at sign. Google searches are talking about the num lock or scroll buttons but I don't seem to have them on my laptop [HP Pavilion g6-1176sa]. Any ideas

11 Comments

No idea what OS but it sounds like you shift key is disabled. Probably sticky keys, look for the disabled sign in windows control panel I think its there

i had a similar problem and posted a question which was answered but i can't find it any more.

it was something to do with pressing the F11 button i think. One of those F buttons.

Original Poster

Thanks kester. Ive checked and sticky keys is turned off. Does seem that its the shift keys that aren't working

Original Poster

mutley1

found it.try … found it.try thishttp://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/help-with-laptop-keyboard-1347963

Thanks but only problem is that i don't have a num lock key. Well nothing that says num lock anyway unless its a symbol

on my samsung it was a symbol of a padlock on the F11 and F12 keys. I can't remember whether I pressed the F11 or the F12 key for num lock.

have you got any padlock symbol on your keyboard Fn keys?

Original Poster

Nope no padlock sign

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. I've contacted HP and they say it sounds like a hardware failure and I need to replace the keyboard

ckcla

Thanks everyone for your help. I've contacted HP and they say it sounds … Thanks everyone for your help. I've contacted HP and they say it sounds like a hardware failure and I need to replace the keyboard

i was going to post this last night but hukd site went down! if it does not work then you could buy a wireless keyboard instead of replacing the laptop keyboard. they only cost about £12 - £15 for a decent one.

a colleague of mine had the same problem with his HP laptop keyboard and resorted to using the onscreen keyboard. apparently a known fault with HP.

h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/…313

Original Poster

Thanks Mutley1
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition62653
    2. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines11
    3. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers33
    4. Chat magazine issue 4323

See more discussions