Groups

Laptop keyboard/touchpad dont work

Hi,

I had just used system restore on XP home. The laptop booted up to the screen telling me that the restoration was a success. I went to click on the 'OK' buton but realised that the mouse pointer was gone.

All the buttons on the keyboard have stopped responding, and the the touchpad pointer has disappeared. When I plug is a USB mouse and Keyboard it sometimes works.

The keyboard works fine in BIOS, any one got any ideas

thanks

its an Acer Aspire 3000 series

3 Comments

Try and do a full restore [with discs] S/R may have deleted the drivers?

Yeah it seems like System Restore may have made a mess of the HID (Human Interface Device) drivers or similar. When you do have a keyboard or mouse working, get into device manager and have a look there to see if Windows can see the keyboard and touchpad on the laptop, if there's devices without drivers try installing them manually by pointing the driver update to Windows Update if it can't seem to find drivers locally.

John

Original Poster

yeah I just done it with the discs i got with the pc, used my usb mouse to install the touchpad drivers it started working for about 15mins, installed some other software and restarted it and it all went pair shape again.

Ive done reboots before and it worked fine.

thanks for the help guys, ill have a look in my device manager later on
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1215
      2. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?712
      3. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!77
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767220

See more discussions