Laptop - Lenovo or HP?

Posted 15th Aug
Need to buy a new laptop to do uni work, browse internet etc..
looking at spending up to around £450.
Reading reviews I’m confused by which will be the most reliable and best spec etc.. for my money.
Can anyone advise please?
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
I posted a discussion about which laptop to get and all the replies said that you must get an IPS screen.

Also, since you're at uni you should have access to the discounted Lenovo and HP websites.
Edited by: "RamsMax" 15th Aug
For £450 I think something like this is probably best spec
laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-…asp

Ryzen 5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Any reason why you've chosen only HP or Lenovo?
I have handled a lot of laptops in my time.
In my view the older models were much more longer lasting and upgradeable. Over time, the need to cut corners and the increasing fashion to build in obsolescence means newer laptops are not so much a good purchase as they should be.
For uni, you do not need a gaming platform. You are gonna need something light to carry and yet rugged enough. Lenovos are built to MIL standards.
These are my top 3 manufacturers
Lenovo
Dell
HP

I would try and buy a refurb from a well known outlet with some worthwhile warranty.
But whatever you buy, learn very quickly how to backup your data.
RamsMax15/08/2020 08:48

I posted a discussion about which laptop to get and all the replies said …I posted a discussion about which laptop to get and all the replies said that you must get an IPS screen.Also, since you're at uni you should have access to the discounted Lenovo and HP websites.

you odnt need an IPS screen unless you play on doing photography or graphic design tbh as the colours are better, a TN panel is nothing to show away from and more preferable for gaming. are you just studying, or playing a bit of warzone in between?!
spruceyb15/08/2020 08:52

For £450 I think something like this is probably best …For £450 I think something like this is probably best spechttps://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-255-ryzen-5-8gb-512gb-ssd-15.6-inch-_fiull-hd-windows-10-laptop-1b7k2es/version.aspRyzen 5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSDAny reason why you've chosen only HP or Lenovo?

For £450 I think something like this is probably best …For £450 I think something like this is probably best spechttps://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-255-ryzen-5-8gb-512gb-ssd-15.6-inch-_fiull-hd-windows-10-laptop-1b7k2es/version.aspRyzen 5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSDAny reason why you've chosen only HP or Lenovo?

id avoid ryzen 3 series, 4 series is just as affordable now, use studentbeans login for lenovo education website and get their latest generation process ryzen 5 4500 for about the same price!

personally i love lenovo and my next laptop will likely be lenovo, ive had terrible experiences over my life with HP bother as a consumer and as a business customer
cache15/08/2020 10:00

you odnt need an IPS screen unless you play on doing photography or …you odnt need an IPS screen unless you play on doing photography or graphic design tbh as the colours are better, a TN panel is nothing to show away from and more preferable for gaming. are you just studying, or playing a bit of warzone in between?!

It wouldn't be used for gaming at all, so would you say that a TN panel is suitable?
RamsMax15/08/2020 10:01

It wouldn't be used for gaming at all, so would you say that a TN panel is …It wouldn't be used for gaming at all, so would you say that a TN panel is suitable?

absolutely nothing wrong with a TN panel mate
RamsMax15/08/2020 10:01

It wouldn't be used for gaming at all, so would you say that a TN panel is …It wouldn't be used for gaming at all, so would you say that a TN panel is suitable?

to clarify, it does depend on what laptop / screen of course, there are some poop TNs, as there would be some poop IPS panels, did you buy one already?
cache15/08/2020 10:02

absolutely nothing wrong with a TN panel mate

cache15/08/2020 10:03

to clarify, it does depend on what laptop / screen of course, there are …to clarify, it does depend on what laptop / screen of course, there are some poop TNs, as there would be some poop IPS panels, did you buy one already?

The specs for the laptop are here on the discussion I posted yesterday:
hotukdeals.com/dis…092
RamsMax15/08/2020 10:05

The specs for the laptop are here on the discussion I posted …The specs for the laptop are here on the discussion I posted yesterday:https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/is-this-a-good-buy-laptop-3525092

yea, so basically the intel series chips are great for gaming, ryzen great for multi-processing, so if you arent a hardcore gamer you'll wanna go ryzen, better bang for buck, but it needs to be the 4 series. saying that the intel chip 10 series is their newest and thats a decent processor!

the integrated graphics are fine, as you arent gaming, but you might find a few ryzens with some radeon vega graphics cards, but not sure you'll find them for a similar or chepaer price, do you have access to lenovo education? i saw one yesterday, pretty sure it was an ideapad too that had it up for about 470 with a ryzen 5 4500, worth saving the £100 for the sake of not gaining anything youd benefit from
cache15/08/2020 10:08

yea, so basically the intel series chips are great for gaming, ryzen great …yea, so basically the intel series chips are great for gaming, ryzen great for multi-processing, so if you arent a hardcore gamer you'll wanna go ryzen, better bang for buck, but it needs to be the 4 series. saying that the intel chip 10 series is their newest and thats a decent processor!the integrated graphics are fine, as you arent gaming, but you might find a few ryzens with some radeon vega graphics cards, but not sure you'll find them for a similar or chepaer price, do you have access to lenovo education? i saw one yesterday, pretty sure it was an ideapad too that had it up for about 470 with a ryzen 5 4500, worth saving the £100 for the sake of not gaining anything youd benefit from

Thanks for all the advice. I spotted that laptop as it is £699 on the Lenovo store, but after all the discounts it would cost me £565 so seemed like a good price.
RamsMax15/08/2020 10:13

Thanks for all the advice. I spotted that laptop as it is £699 on the …Thanks for all the advice. I spotted that laptop as it is £699 on the Lenovo store, but after all the discounts it would cost me £565 so seemed like a good price.

very good price, is that with student discount? as i said you'd benefit from a ryzen over the intel
cache15/08/2020 10:41

very good price, is that with student discount? as i said you'd benefit …very good price, is that with student discount? as i said you'd benefit from a ryzen over the intel

It is with an educators discount which takes it down to £629.99, I went on to live chat and asked for a code. Wasn’t expecting anything from them, but the person I was talking to accidentally sent me two codes which both work together taking the price down to £565. I also could get 10% cashback making it £508. I have just looked at the Ryzen laptops and they are all out of stock. I could do with the laptop as soon as possible so it is looking as if I will get the Intel one as that’s ready to ship in 1-2 days. It sounds as if the Intel core I7 will be plenty fast enough for me and it is within my budget.
RamsMax15/08/2020 10:56

It is with an educators discount which takes it down to £629.99, I went on …It is with an educators discount which takes it down to £629.99, I went on to live chat and asked for a code. Wasn’t expecting anything from them, but the person I was talking to accidentally sent me two codes which both work together taking the price down to £565. I also could get 10% cashback making it £508. I have just looked at the Ryzen laptops and they are all out of stock. I could do with the laptop as soon as possible so it is looking as if I will get the Intel one as that’s ready to ship in 1-2 days. It sounds as if the Intel core I7 will be plenty fast enough for me and it is within my budget.

oh completely agree, i use intel and its awesome, as long as its the 10th core youll be golden mate
cache15/08/2020 10:41

very good price, is that with student discount? as i said you'd benefit …very good price, is that with student discount? as i said you'd benefit from a ryzen over the intel

Thanks for all your help
RamsMax15/08/2020 11:09

Just a couple more questions [Image] I am assuming that this is the …Just a couple more questions [Image] I am assuming that this is the 10th gen Intel core. Could you confirm?Also, it says it is Windows 10 in S Mode. Am I correct in saying that you are able to leave S Mode permanently?

Don't listen to cache. You don't spend what you're spending on TN panel laptop. He doesn't know what he is talking about. If you're spending £350 or below expect to buy a laptop with TN panel. Anything above you try/should be looking at an IPS panel.
Edited by: "I_Wish" 15th Aug
I_Wish15/08/2020 12:10

Don't listen to cache. You don't spend what you're spending on TN panel …Don't listen to cache. You don't spend what you're spending on TN panel laptop. He doesn't know what he is talking about.

Who do I listen to here
I_Wish15/08/2020 12:10

Don't listen to cache. You don't spend what you're spending on TN panel …Don't listen to cache. You don't spend what you're spending on TN panel laptop. He doesn't know what he is talking about. If you're spending £350 or below expect to buy a laptop with TN panel. Anything above you try/should be looking at an IPS panel.

I know that IPS panels are better (thanks to your help yesterday), but are they that much better to notice a major difference?
RamsMax15/08/2020 12:12

I know that IPS panels are better, but are they that much better to notice …I know that IPS panels are better, but are they that much better to notice a major difference?

Yes IPS Panel are better. Better colour reproduction, better viewing angles. I would only think about buying a TN panel if I was thinking about buying a gaming laptop.
Edited by: "I_Wish" 15th Aug
From a manufacturer based verdict its got to be HP, they are usually designed to be user serviceable once warranty is up, they even post videos for swapping hard drives, optical drives, memory uprades, screens keyboards etc. Recently had to replace a keyboard on my parents Lenovo and what a nightmare that was, rather than being held in by screws the keyboard was held in by plastic tabs that are then melted over to spread out, had to get creative with an old soldering iron and plastic coat hanger to plastic weld that sucker back in.
Used Lenovo X1 Carbon 6th gen or 5th gen.

I have a HP (8th gen cpu) & Lenovo.. the HP I have is more powerful but I end up using the X1 carbon because its weight is around 1kg... and the keyboard is much more work friendly. The HP is more suited for youtube and media.
Edited by: "redserpent" 15th Aug

No reason really. Just Acer seem to generally have bad reviews and not familiar with many other brands
We all have our opinions, no need to get fiesty and offensive do with what you feel is best based on research and others opinions. I guess my opinions and time spent working in I.T building hundreds of computers must have messed up my brain on that I have no clue what I'm talking about! I'm out
Edited by: "cache" 15th Aug
It's not all black or white, shades of grey exist. Some TN panels are really good, some IPS are poor. Some HP laptops are good, some not so. Same with Lenovo and Dell.

As a general rule HP, Lenovo and Dell are pretty solid; IPS screens typically have better viewing angles and few complain about average TN screens. Everything else is model specific. Just like other electricals or cars.
Edited by: "adam.mt" 15th Aug
it depends on the spec of the laptop as to which one is best, but from a quality point of view, i prefer HP as i had both lenovo and HP and the HP one feels better quality hardware wise.

they were both mid range laptops. i have an acer swift 3 now and the hardware on that feels very good, but the software lets it down. buggy.
Post a comment
@
    Text