Laptop max £1500 budget with good battery life (6+ hours), quiet etc

Found 15th Oct 2017
Hello, can anyone recommend laptop please.

Main use is multiple skype and load of chrome tabs open, putty, ftp etc.

Cant have a laptop that will throttle cpu like my current rubbish lenovo y500

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Macbook Pro
"Cant have a laptop that will throttle cpu like my current rubbish lenovo y500"

Why not? Throttling the CPU is a great way to improve battery life and limit maximum volume.

Acer Swift 3 maybe?
notebookcheck.net/Ace…tml
Personally I'd probably go with an Asus zenbook.
Iirc pretty much all laptops auto throttle the CPU when not needed in order to improve battery life.
You can normally disable it, but it shouldn't be that noticeable if at all.
Dell XPS with OLED
joedastudd2 h, 3 m ago

pretty much all laptops auto throttle the CPU when not needed in order to …pretty much all laptops auto throttle the CPU when not needed in order to improve battery life.

It's not throttling unless it's done because the chip is bumping up against a thermal/power limit. The term isn't used for clockspeed adjustment for efficiency purposes.
Up to you if you want to spend that money on another system, but you should be aware that you can probably prevent it from throttling by cleaning out the cooler to restore its performance, and by using a tool called ThrottleStop to undervolt the CPU. The latter will require some trial and error to find the voltage level optimal for your silicon, but you should be able to add anything up to an hour to your system's battery life, while reducing power consumption and heat generation significantly, which will in turn limit or prevent throttling.
Xps 15
Original Poster Banned
EndlessWaves7 h, 49 m ago

"Cant have a laptop that will throttle cpu like my current rubbish lenovo …"Cant have a laptop that will throttle cpu like my current rubbish lenovo y500"Why not? Throttling the CPU is a great way to improve battery life and limit maximum volume.Acer Swift 3 maybe?https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Swift-3-i5-7200U-HD-620-Laptop-Review.257964.0.html

laptop is unusable. I have to install throttlestop to overcome flaw. Loading webpages take 30 seconds. Battery dies after an hour. Worst laptop i ever had.
Original Poster Banned
cpu throttles down to .5ghz.

forums.lenovo.com/t5/…268

---

visiited currys today to have a look at laptops.

Macs are beautiful machines, keyboard was weird as there is 0 travel but im sure i could get use to that. But i cant get on with mac os, never used it. Command/windows key doesnt load app draw, weird operating system, major adjustments required to use that.

Microsoft surface was great, impressively thin but awful suede texture. Finally dell xps 13, impressive looking machine, but again awful texture. Finger print magnet. If only that was in metal.
Edited by: "mo77788" 15th Oct 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants