Laptop must haves

Posted 23rd Nov
I will be looking for good black Friday deals on Laptops as this is what my daughter has asked for her main Christmas present.

She will mainly be using it for school work, social, watching videos for now but I would like something that will see her into her A levels and don't want anything slow or laggy as I imagine she will want to run several things at once.

I don't know a good Laptop from a bad one if the truth be told so what should I be looking for as a minimum with regards to storage and speed? My budget will be around £350 is this a realistic figure for me to get something decent?

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
I would say minimum 128Gb SSD storage.

Avoid cheap machines with mechanical hard drives.
vultura23/11/2019 20:46

I would say minimum 128Gb SSD storage.Avoid cheap machines with mechanical …I would say minimum 128Gb SSD storage.Avoid cheap machines with mechanical hard drives.

I would say minimum 128Gb SSD storage.Avoid cheap machines with mechanical …I would say minimum 128Gb SSD storage.Avoid cheap machines with mechanical hard drives.

Whats a mechanical hard drive? i keep reading things about different processors too is there a minimum i should be looking at?

Thanks
deleted1471098
mrspodington23/11/2019 20:52

Whats a mechanical hard drive? i keep reading things about different …Whats a mechanical hard drive? i keep reading things about different processors too is there a minimum i should be looking at?Thanks

They mean you want an SSD rather than a HDD. Ideally you want an i5 processor and a minimum of 8gb of ram. Ideally you want 256gb of space on the SSD.

In that price range that could be challenging but keep an eye out for bf deals
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 23rd Nov
deleted147109823/11/2019 20:54

They mean you want an SSD rather than a HDD

Oh ok thank you will pop that on the list of must haves thank you
deleted1471098
mrspodington23/11/2019 20:55

Oh ok thank you will pop that on the list of must haves thank you

You may also see something called an M2 SSD. These are very slightly faster but there isn’t much difference between this and an SSD.

Avoid a HDD, these are slower. HDD’s is what they had in computers when I was a child back in the days of windows 3.11 and MS DOS.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 23rd Nov
deleted147109823/11/2019 20:59

You may also see something called an M2 SSD. These are very slightly …You may also see something called an M2 SSD. These are very slightly faster but there isn’t much difference between this and an SSD.Avoid a HDD, these are slower. HDD’s is what they had in computers when I was a child back in the days of windows 3.11

Right SSD it is then, I can't cope with anything slow or I will have to listen to the wails coming through the walls when shes trying to do 30000 things all at once
mrspodington23/11/2019 21:01

Right SSD it is then, I can't cope with anything slow or I will have to …Right SSD it is then, I can't cope with anything slow or I will have to listen to the wails coming through the walls when shes trying to do 30000 things all at once

Take a look at this deal:
hotukdeals.com/dea…858

It'll tick the boxes. However, I'd probably recommend waiting till BF in case something better shows on the horizon!

Regards, Phsy.
Phsycronix23/11/2019 21:03

Take a look at this …Take a look at this deal:https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lenovo-v155-15api-amd-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-256gb-ssd-156-inch-full-hd-display-radeon-vega-8-windows-10-3339858It'll tick the boxes. However, I'd probably recommend waiting till BF in case something better shows on the horizon!Regards, Phsy.

I've litterally just been reading that thread and it looks great but think I'm going to hold out for BF now im just trying to get an idea of what to actually be looking for when the time comes.

Also one last question and it may be a stupid one but whats the difference between a Lapop, Chromebook and a thinkpad? is it just branding?
mrspodington23/11/2019 21:06

I've litterally just been reading that thread and it looks great but think …I've litterally just been reading that thread and it looks great but think I'm going to hold out for BF now im just trying to get an idea of what to actually be looking for when the time comes.Also one last question and it may be a stupid one but whats the difference between a Lapop, Chromebook and a thinkpad? is it just branding?

Yep, mostly branding but:

Laptops can be multi-use or specific
Chromebooks are laptops that use the 'Google' base
Thinkpad's tend to lean more towards 'business' based use - i.e. not gaming etc. Good solid machines though...
deleted1471098
mrspodington23/11/2019 21:01

Right SSD it is then, I can't cope with anything slow or I will have to …Right SSD it is then, I can't cope with anything slow or I will have to listen to the wails coming through the walls when shes trying to do 30000 things all at once

Yes sounds just like my wife with her work laptop.

Phsy has also posted a link to an AMD based laptop. When I mentioned i5 processor that is intel based, AMD tend to be a bit cheaper but provided you buy the right one can give similar performance. I believe ryzen 5 would be what you are looking for as an equivalent for an i5
Phsycronix23/11/2019 21:10

Yep, mostly branding but:Laptops can be multi-use or specificChromebooks …Yep, mostly branding but:Laptops can be multi-use or specificChromebooks are laptops that use the 'Google' baseThinkpad's tend to lean more towards 'business' based use - i.e. not gaming etc. Good solid machines though...

Ok got it I think, So I think I'm definitly looking for a laptop then.

Brilliant thank you for all of your help I feel much better informed and ready to go into BF battle now.
Of late there has been loads of threads about laptop requirements. If you search "laptop" in discussions, you'll pick up plenty of info. Some people want gaming machines, some for general use and others for the exact reason you need one for - their children.

Just stick with some basics:

Processor - Intel i3 (lowest) i5 (med) i7 (best) or AMD Ryzen 5 is fine.
Memory - 4gb minimum really (fine for schoolwork etc.) but ideally 8gb is better.
Storage - As others have mentioned, SSD (solid state, like a USB stick) is ideal but a HDD (mechanical) isn't a deal-breaker as you could buy a cheap SSD and pop it in, either alongside or as a replacement.)
Size of storage: SSD - 128gb = ok. 256gb = much nicer! HDD can be all sorts but tend to start at 500gb onwards.
Graphics: Unless you are gaming, Intel HD4000 and up if fine. Radeon Vega 8 or Nvidia GTX better. Don't get too hung up on graphics to begin with. You can always ask for advice if you find something you think is suitable.

You can go on and on, deeper and deeper with spec but if you concentrate on these basics you can delve into other things as and when necessary.

All the best, Phsy.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 23rd Nov
You could try ebay and if you have anyone in the family that is tech savvy pay less than £50
Sorry but i am the local tightarse and try to help folks make the most of their cash as I ken how hard it is these days when yer skint so i look for alternative outlets and means to save cash!

You need to look for bulk sellers on ebay (there are a coupla really good ones pm me if you want their names) most of the laptops will have memory and hard drives removed but the laptops in most cases have tiny little faults like cracked bezel or missing hdu cover etc and easy to find on ebay!

Look out for Dell E5530 Core I5
I got 10 core i5 for £40-50 each
Added an 240gb Integral P series SSD £21 and 8gb ram £21 bosh on a free windows 10 upgrade or linux and hey presto excellent laptop even has esata, hdmi and big 15 inch screen and an illuminated night keyboard with fingerprint reader for laptop use in the dark total cost was less than £100!
I use it for pen testing on the job as a contractor even though most of my colleagues use laptops costing £1000's and mine has more advantages than some of theirs and i sold all 8 of the spares for £150 in less than a coupla days!

Best laptop i have ever used well apart from the Dell D630 it was a right little cracker for wardriving on the move!

There are loads of helpful folks over on the sysopt forum (one of my faves been going 15 years+) who can help you build a laptop or pc yourself anyone can do it these days!

FAILING that and you want new then you cannot go wrong with a Lenovo used to be Ibm and built quite the best desktops and servers ever in the history of ever - I have a few in my collection still!
Even the old laptops are rock solid!

Your ideal spec should be

240gb ssd - 120gb is probably not enough as kids these days needs loads of storage for social media , torrent stuff etc
8gb ram - 4gb is not enough especially if she uses the chrome browser she will soon find it a pain with 4gb!
core i5 processor - i3 doesnt cut the mustard really unless its a boggo standard you are happy with

Thats the basic entry point these days!
Phys posted a good link thats a good deal for a Lenovo!
Edited by: "omendata" 23rd Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions