Groups
    EXPIRED

Laptop noise advice please?

I bought a refurb from Tesco Outlet but it wasn't up to scratch, so they sent me an upgrade but that one had a noisy fan and you could hear the hard drive whining at certain times amongst other things.

That one went back too, and i'm now on my third one which is:
    HP 8GB RAM 750GB HDD 15.6'' Windows 8 Home Edition 15-E040Sa Blue Notebook.
    I really like the laptop but the hard drive makes a very very regular ticking/clicking sound which is irritating, accompanied by a sort of blowing sound which could simply be the hard drive cycling.

I've had this one a matter of 3 days and i've moved to this laptop from a very old HP Pavilion laptop (12+ years) that still made no noise. So am i being unrealistic or unreasonable in wanting a quiet laptop? I realise about refurbs etc, but as an A grade machine surely this shouldn't happen and could be indicative of future problems?

Any advice is appreciated as Tesco Outlet only keep offering me replacement machines.

2 Comments

The noisy hard drive could just be that it's a hitachi/IBM (HGST) that does have the annoying clicking. (system properties/device manager will tell you its brand/model)
    Crunching and clicking when not in use is what they do when new :(.
    There was a tool for adjusting the acoustic level of the drive but not sure if yours would be one that it is applicable to.

If bought online return demanding refund , there is distance selling rules for just this sort of thing.

Original Poster

Thanks.

It says WDC WD7500BPVX-60JC3 SATA.

So that means Western Digital i suppose. I think i will return as this is driving me mad and whilst not loud as such it's quite distracting.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Electricity55
      2. Iptv918
      3. Wireless Earphones for Running56
      4. Wifi extender1218

See more discussions