Laptop not downloading windows updates

Found 15th Nov 2017
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me with my laptop please! I have Windows 8.1 and for a LONG time now I have not been able to download any windows updates, it just stays stuck on the 'checking for updates' page and nothing happens. I didn't do the free Windows 10 and ever since then the updates have stopped working, is there anyway to fix this or still get windows 10 for free?

Thank you!

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
4 Comments

Yes you can still get Windows 10 for free, my advice would be to upgrade. microsoft.com/en-…ade
Edited by: "AirbusA380" 15th Nov 2017

I had the exact same problem a while back - also Win 8.1. This method worked perfectly for me:

Clean up any errors
--------------------

From the Administrative command prompt:
a) Run sfc /scannow
b) Run dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

Reset the Windows update process
-----------------------------------

1) Start services.msc (or Open Task Manager and click on Services), locate the Windows Update service (wuauserv). STOP the service

2) Open %windir%\SoftwareDistribution e.g. C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all the files in that folder (it may prompt you for administrative access, click Ok) This will remove any corrupted updates.

3) Start the Windows Update Service through the Services manager

Reset Windows Update Settings
---------------------------------

1) Open the Windows Update window, click on Change Settings, set Windows to NEVER check for updates, click Ok.

2) Open Change Settings again, select the option you want (check and download, automatically update etc) and Click OK.
Now check for updates.

I can't remember what the first bit did (a & b) but it scans your machine for any corrupt system files and dism is another Windows problem solver via their online file repository. Google them both for more info if you wish. Deleting Windows update folder contents and resetting WU definitely got it back on track anyway. Hasn't failed since. Best solution I can offer you at present. Obviously I take no responsibility for anything that happens to your system if you try this method. I would however recommend making a new Restore Point before any attempt is made.

Best Regards, Phsy.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 17th Nov 2017

Original Poster

Thank you all, I will give it a try today!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions