Laptop only boots to boot manager

Posted 24th Feb
Needing help if possible please. Son's Lenovo ideapad 110s only boots into boot manager saying software or hardware fault. It then says insert the recovery drive (which I didn't do the recovery usb back up).
I can boot into bios (via Novo method) and made sure the eMMC disk: Ramaxel 32GB is 1st to boot bUt it goes into boot menu.
1. eMMC Disk: Ramaxel 32GB
2. Windows Boot Manager
Clicking on either just boots back boot menu again

Any help please.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

35 Comments
This might help if you can get into safe mode

Step 1: Disconnect all the external devices, mainly USB devices except for the basic devices like mouse and the keyboard.

Step 2: Boot the computer in safe mode:

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:
a. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
b. Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.
c. When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear at the bottom, select the installation that you want to start, and then press ENTER.

Also, check with the other modes under Windows Advanced Options menu (try last known good configuration, safe mode with command……)

Note: If the problem continues after you start the computer in safe mode, there is a problem with faulty hardware \ with a driver that is installed\ an operating system component
Predikuesi24/02/2020 10:41

This might help if you can get into safe modeStep 1: Disconnect all the …This might help if you can get into safe modeStep 1: Disconnect all the external devices, mainly USB devices except for the basic devices like mouse and the keyboard.Step 2: Boot the computer in safe mode: To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps: a. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears. b. Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER. c. When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear at the bottom, select the installation that you want to start, and then press ENTER.Also, check with the other modes under Windows Advanced Options menu (try last known good configuration, safe mode with command……)Note: If the problem continues after you start the computer in safe mode, there is a problem with faulty hardware \ with a driver that is installed\ an operating system component

Cannot boot into safe made, nothing happens, always goes to Windows Boot Manager.
Predikuesi24/02/2020 10:41

This might help if you can get into safe modeStep 1: Disconnect all the …This might help if you can get into safe modeStep 1: Disconnect all the external devices, mainly USB devices except for the basic devices like mouse and the keyboard.Step 2: Boot the computer in safe mode: To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps: a. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears. b. Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER. c. When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear at the bottom, select the installation that you want to start, and then press ENTER.Also, check with the other modes under Windows Advanced Options menu (try last known good configuration, safe mode with command……)Note: If the problem continues after you start the computer in safe mode, there is a problem with faulty hardware \ with a driver that is installed\ an operating system component

I second the above,
You could always produce a USB recovery drive using another Win 10 machine and then booting from it with a view to fixing from there.
I remember something like this happening to an Win7 laptop several years ago (I was too lazy to do a recovery disk too ). I bought a flash drive from eBay containing Win7, booted to it and chose to repair. This fixed whatever the problem was. If your SSD is dead, then there's not much you can do but install a new one.
tardytortoise24/02/2020 10:58

I second the above,You could always produce a USB recovery drive using …I second the above,You could always produce a USB recovery drive using another Win 10 machine and then booting from it with a view to fixing from there.

^^^^^
Try this first.
Predikuesi24/02/2020 11:04

I remember something like this happening to an Win7 laptop several years …I remember something like this happening to an Win7 laptop several years ago (I was too lazy to do a recovery disk too ). I bought a flash drive from eBay containing Win7, booted to it and chose to repair. This fixed whatever the problem was. If your SSD is dead, then there's not much you can do but install a new one.

There is no SSD in this machine - just flash eMMc 32GB drive.
And the F8 method to get into safe mode will not work when the BIOS is in UEFI mode.
Good video here
Sounds like the drive is working but the OS install has become corrupted. Grab the Windows 10 installer from the Microsoft website (media creation tool) and reinstall.

If you're fortunate it's only a badly behaved driver update or similar and you won't have any future problems but the data corruption could also have been caused by faulty hardware such as the memory or drive you're likely to see the same or other problems in the near future.
assuming it is software problem, you could create a usb bootable windows 10 drive (from another PC) and re-install windows?

If windows 10 installation not success, I would recommend try Linux Mint.
Managed to get a recovery image onto a usb from another laptop, booted to the lenovo splash screen, few options including repair pc and nothing, couldn't repair it. Tried some command prompts in the video and it couldn;t find bcdedit.
Can't uninstall any updates and no other options work. Will try windows installer and see from there.
burnie200024/02/2020 12:13

I can boot into bios (via Novo method)...

What BIOS version & date ?
AndyRoyd24/02/2020 12:22

What BIOS version & date ?

BIOS is 4HCN10WW and only date i see is todays date
burnie200024/02/2020 12:13

Managed to get a recovery image onto a usb from another laptop, booted to …Managed to get a recovery image onto a usb from another laptop, booted to the lenovo splash screen, few options including repair pc and nothing, couldn't repair it. Tried some command prompts in the video and it couldn;t find bcdedit.Can't uninstall any updates and no other options work. Will try windows installer and see from there.

The most important thing burnie is to get your data off the device, and once you have done that you can do absolutely anything, safe in the knowledge you have your data.
These eMMc machines are a real pain in the proverbial. Ideally, your data should be in the cloud and on other media already but far too many people treat these machines as "proper" laptops.
Booting from a Linux distro like Mint is a good idea that someone suggested. You should be able to get at your data from booting into linux without having to install.
Once you have your data I would try disabling UEFI/secure boot from BIOS and then repeat your procedures so far (come to think of it there is a possibility you may need to do this anyway in order to boot linux from USB - a feature I think of these eMMc machines)

Good Luck.
burnie200024/02/2020 12:28

BIOS is 4HCN10WW and only date i see is todays date

OK, that's the latest so already has the firmware corruption fix although unlikely related. Maybe try a USB boot disk to recover any required data, then attempt re-install OS. A simple WinPE-based boot disk is available via aomeitech.com/pe-…tml . Create that boot disk on a functional W10 installation.
Starting to think this thing is FUBAR. Linux mint, WinPE and the Windowx 10 installer are not booting from the thumb drive. It looks like it's running as the light is on but it just boots to the boot menu screen again.
burnie200024/02/2020 13:24

Starting to think this thing is FUBAR. Linux mint, WinPE and the Windowx …Starting to think this thing is FUBAR. Linux mint, WinPE and the Windowx 10 installer are not booting from the thumb drive. It looks like it's running as the light is on but it just boots to the boot menu screen again.

"Not booting" from USB, or booting from USB but declining to read/write the internal EMMC? The suggested WinPE should boot regardless of EMMC being present/functional or not; maybe check if the WinPE USB does actually boot to WinPE on another known-functional machine?
AndyRoyd24/02/2020 13:55

"Not booting" from USB, or booting from USB but declining to read/write …"Not booting" from USB, or booting from USB but declining to read/write the internal EMMC? The suggested WinPE should boot regardless of EMMC being present/functional or not; maybe check if the WinPE USB does actually boot to WinPE on another known-functional machine?

Not booting from USB, tried on another laptop and it does work.
burnie200024/02/2020 14:21

Not booting from USB, tried on another laptop and it does work.

Excuse the obvious question, but what method are you using to tell the Lenovo to boot from USB?
AndyRoyd24/02/2020 15:16

Excuse the obvious question, but what method are you using to tell the …Excuse the obvious question, but what method are you using to tell the Lenovo to boot from USB?

Changed it in BIOS to boot from USB 1st
Tried the other usb ports? I've had it before where i couldn't boot from usb because i used the wrong port for some reason.
burnie200024/02/2020 15:32

Changed it in BIOS to boot from USB 1st

Is there also an f key option and if so have you tried that?
m1keyp1key24/02/2020 15:48

Tried the other usb ports? I've had it before where i couldn't boot from …Tried the other usb ports? I've had it before where i couldn't boot from usb because i used the wrong port for some reason.

3 different ports and the lights cpme on but no ones home kinda thing.

AndyRoyd24/02/2020 16:10

Is there also an f key option and if so have you tried that?

This is the options for boot mode

Boot mode [UEFI]
USB BOOT [enabled]
PXE Boot to LAN [Enabled]

Boot priority order
1. USB HDD. My flash drive
2. eMMC disk: Ramaxel 32GB
3. ATA HDD
4. ATA HDD
5 PCI LAN
6 USB FDD
7 USB CD
8 Windows boot manager.
Try disabling secure boot and/or UEFI in BIOS
For whatever reason it is trying to boot from the eMMc before it can do anything else.
You need to be really quick, after pressing power on you need to keep one finger on Fn key and keep tapping F12 until Boot Manager is displayed and then choose your USB stick and press ENTER (obvs have your USB boot up stick already inserted)

trickiknow.com/len…ws/
burnie200024/02/2020 16:34

3 different ports and the lights cpme on but no ones home kinda thing.This …3 different ports and the lights cpme on but no ones home kinda thing.This is the options for boot modeBoot mode [UEFI]USB BOOT [enabled]PXE Boot to LAN [Enabled]Boot priority order1. USB HDD. My flash drive2. eMMC disk: Ramaxel 32GB3. ATA HDD4. ATA HDD5 PCI LAN6 USB FDD7 USB CD8 Windows boot manager.

If it specifically states the make (or model) etc of the USB rather than generic ref then doesn't look promising. Maybe try another USB drive again checked for boot on another box, just to negate USB make incompatibility possibility..
turn off secure boot
ensure usb stick and its OS is UEFI compatible
did you use latest RUFUS to produce the stick?
seems odd that you managed to get recovery disk on usb which managed to boot but nothing else

not your machine but something in here seems familiar
dell.com/com…642

and tons of stuff to read here all saying similar stuff
google.co.uk/sea…oot
You used the media creation tool to create the USB stick directly? You didn't download to ISO then copy the ISO file onto the USB stick?
"We have 2 110's . Absolute rubish. One just shut down, black screen. Used about a dozen times. Keeper in its delivery box on top of wardrobe. Sent it off...another one. The other one is similar problem to yours. When I can be bothered I will try swapping parts to see if I can get one working machine."
tardytortoise24/02/2020 17:48

For whatever reason it is trying to boot from the eMMc before it can do …For whatever reason it is trying to boot from the eMMc before it can do anything else.You need to be really quick, after pressing power on you need to keep one finger on Fn key and keep tapping F12 until Boot Manager is displayed and then choose your USB stick and press ENTER (obvs have your USB boot up stick already inserted)https://trickiknow.com/lenovo-ideapad-110-bios-boot-menu-to-install-windows/

This machine has the novo button that gets me into BIOS and boot manager, but no matter tge option i choose (including the thumbdrive) it doesn't boot anything apart from the boot menu again.

AndyRoyd24/02/2020 18:17

If it specifically states the make (or model) etc of the USB rather than …If it specifically states the make (or model) etc of the USB rather than generic ref then doesn't look promising. Maybe try another USB drive again checked for boot on another box, just to negate USB make incompatibility possibility..

Yeah, it gives me the name of the USB (phillips) whereas in the other laptop it is called recovery after i put windows installer on it. I also used it to install linux mint onto the other laptop so it definately works.

I used hirens boot cd (used that before about 10 years ago) and again wouldn't boot. Only thing that booted was Windows recovery but it couldn't repair it.
Decided to give it one more go tonight, tried tardytortoise suggestion of turning off secure boot etc and restart. Got the Lenovo splash screen then got the windows logo, ooooh looking good so far, try repair PC and it tells me i'm missing the Boot cofiguration data file (File: \Boot\BCD).
Yes getting somewhere at last and now I cannot get rid of that screen when then thumbdrive is in and it goes to the boot manager menu when it's not in. So cannot get into cmd prompt to do anything now.
To summarise then.....
Secure Boot is off
Without USB stick inserted you see the boot manager menu
With a USB stick in, machine boots so far - what does it then say?
What is on the USB stick(s) you are booting from?

Have you got data on the machine that you MUST retrieve?

Sorry about all the questions, but trying to help remotely like this is not easy and you need to be a little more fully explicit about things. What is the model of your machine?
tardytortoise25/02/2020 07:39

To summarise then.....Secure Boot is offWithout USB stick inserted you see …To summarise then.....Secure Boot is offWithout USB stick inserted you see the boot manager menuWith a USB stick in, machine boots so far - what does it then say?What is on the USB stick(s) you are booting from?Have you got data on the machine that you MUST retrieve?Sorry about all the questions, but trying to help remotely like this is not easy and you need to be a little more fully explicit about things. What is the model of your machine?

Secure boot is off.
Without USB it goes to boot menu with 2 options.
1. Windows Boot Manager
2. eMMC Disk:
pressing either option goes back to above

With USB in (contain windows recovery from another machine) it did go to recovery options
Repair windows
Command prompt
Remove updates
Change uefi settings
And 2 other options
None of the above worked.

When i changed tge bios to legacy, the repair option worked by saying there was a boot file missing and it only goes to that screen when the usb is in now. Can no longer access any options for command prompt etc.

No data as was only used for homework purposes which have been handed in etc.
Thanks.
Looks as if you are going to have to do a fresh install from scratch of either Windows 10 or a Linux distro. I only say this because you advise data is not an issue.

Either way do the installation with secure boot on.

So however you made that windows recovery USB stick then use the same method to create another USB stick.
From another Windows machine go to
microsoft.com/en-…SO/
to download a Windows 10 ISO. You use this to create the bootable USB stick and then reinstall Windows from it.
From any machine you can download any Linux distro say Mint (suggest Tricia 19.3 Cinnamon Edition from here linuxmint.com/dow…php) and again create a bootable USB stick with it on and install.

I have tried installing Mint on a similar machine - it works but I have to emphasise these eMMc machines are a real pig.

Would still like to know your exact model number.

Good Luck
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 25th Feb
tardytortoise25/02/2020 12:09

Thanks.Looks as if you are going to have to do a fresh install from …Thanks.Looks as if you are going to have to do a fresh install from scratch of either Windows 10 or a Linux distro. I only say this because you advise data is not an issue.Either way do the installation with secure boot on.So however you made that windows recovery USB stick then use the same method to create another USB stick.From another Windows machine go tohttps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO/to download a Windows 10 ISO. You use this to create the bootable USB stick and then reinstall Windows from it.From any machine you can download any Linux distro say Mint (suggest Tricia 19.3 Cinnamon Edition from here https://linuxmint.com/download.php) and again create a bootable USB stick with it on and install.I have tried installing Mint on a similar machine - it works but I have to emphasise these eMMc machines are a real pig.Would still like to know your exact model number.Good Luck

It is a Lenovo Ideapad 110s-11br. My other child has an old one (same model i think) at Uni that she no longer uses, will get her to bring it back when she comes home. These were only bought to type up documents etc, nothing heavy. Think they were just over £100 few years back so no real loss.
Will take another crack at it when I get some free time again, don't really want tp spend my only 2 days off work sorting this thing.
Cheers again guys.
burnie200025/02/2020 14:02

It is a Lenovo Ideapad 110s-11br. My other child has an old one (same …It is a Lenovo Ideapad 110s-11br. My other child has an old one (same model i think) at Uni that she no longer uses, will get her to bring it back when she comes home. These were only bought to type up documents etc, nothing heavy. Think they were just over £100 few years back so no real loss.Will take another crack at it when I get some free time again, don't really want tp spend my only 2 days off work sorting this thing.Cheers again guys.

I googled your model number and it seems you may have a reset to factory settings option from a hidden partition - assuming the hidden partition is sound.

google.com/sea…415

google.com/sea…Lss
tardytortoise25/02/2020 15:14

I googled your model number and it seems you may have a reset to factory …I googled your model number and it seems you may have a reset to factory settings option from a hidden partition - assuming the hidden partition is sound.https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&hl=en&sxsrf=ALeKk00Z9DiFF4-us3wVlAIeDCZZWTZdRA:1582641270209&q=How+do+I+factory+reset+my+Lenovo+IdeaPad+110s+11ibr?&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjbz96V9uznAhVhnVwKHUXlBYsQzmd6BAgKEA0&biw=853&bih=415https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&hl=en&sxsrf=ALeKk022dxeF47V4gIYj0NqXHqL8tGChyA:1582634901435&source=hp&ei=lRdVXpGXGMu4gQbZ2o3ACA&q=lenovo+ideapad+110s-11br+factory+reset&oq=Lenovo+Ideapad+110s-11br&gs_l=psy-ab.1.3.0l3j0i22i30.6356985.6356985..6367554...4.0..0.107.107.0j1......0....2j1..gws-wiz.E5oeumibLss

Unfortunately it doesn't work. Just boots into windows boot manager stating a fault go through everything I've done numerous times. The boot file that is missing is really screwing up everything i've tried
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants