Laptop or Desktop PC help

Posted 2nd Jan
Hi, as the title says I’m looking for a new laptop for sub £500. I have found this HP for £399 and it includes 1 year office and seems decent spec for the money.
ao.com/pro…der

I want it just for generic daily home use (no gaming), spreadsheets, interns browsing, picture storage etc. Not tech savvy on things like this and not sure if this is a good buy or if I’m better looking at a PC.

any help is greatly appreciated
thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
neotrix posted that the other day with a £30 off voucher on that went 2806 degrees - expired as voucher expired

post here to see comments:
hotukdeals.com/dea…356
not a bad choice for your needs BUT i cannot recommend highly enough that you visit a showroom (currys is ok) before you buy online. see something you like the look of and that feels ok. then note the full spec and then compare online. also i would suggest you do not buy anything that locks you in to things like storage, virus protection, yes and even office software.
tardytortoise02/01/2020 20:27

not a bad choice for your needs BUT i cannot recommend highly enough that …not a bad choice for your needs BUT i cannot recommend highly enough that you visit a showroom (currys is ok) before you buy online. see something you like the look of and that feels ok. then note the full spec and then compare online. also i would suggest you do not buy anything that locks you in to things like storage, virus protection, yes and even office software.

Yeah, my reservation is that typically I much prefer a pc. I am currently using an ancient one that has been “resurrected” and running vista It does the job for now but definitely in need of new!

I already have monitor in place so I’m wondering if im better sticking on the preferred PC route and going for something like this currys.co.uk/gbu…tml
Edited by: "Suzannzan" 2nd Jan
Suzannzan02/01/2020 20:30

Yeah, my reservation is that typically I much prefer a pc. I am currently …Yeah, my reservation is that typically I much prefer a pc. I am currently using an ancient one that has been “resurrected” and running vista It does the job for now but definitely in need of new!I already have monitor in place so I’m wondering if im better sticking on the preferred PC route and going for something like this https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/acer-xc-885-intel-core-i5-desktop-pc-1-tb-hdd-black-10193496-pdt.html

all good thoughts. take a little care that your old monitor will have the right connections for your new desktop purchase. and keep your fingers crossed your new operating system will have the correct drivers for the monitor.
I'm guessing you know your IT stuff pretty well. I still have an old Vista desktop in the back room that hardly gets used these days. (prefer sitting in my armchair with my laptop). Have you considered updating your desktop by converting it to a Linux distribution? Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin and Feren are good options. With LibreOffice Suite, Firefox and some real good free photography storage tools you can get another 5 years out of it.
Suzannzan02/01/2020 20:30

Yeah, my reservation is that typically I much prefer a pc. I am currently …Yeah, my reservation is that typically I much prefer a pc. I am currently using an ancient one that has been “resurrected” and running vista It does the job for now but definitely in need of new!I already have monitor in place so I’m wondering if im better sticking on the preferred PC route and going for something like this https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/acer-xc-885-intel-core-i5-desktop-pc-1-tb-hdd-black-10193496-pdt.html

i5 9400 is not bad in that but tbh the SSD in the laptop will make it feel a lot quicker than the hdd in that desktop. loading times and save times with an ssd is a lot better than what you get with a hdd.

At £400 you should be getting an ssd in either format and also worth keeping in mind AMD Ryzen's are more than competitive at this moment with Intel - especially for productivity use you describe.
tardytortoise02/01/2020 20:41

all good thoughts. take a little care that your old monitor will have the …all good thoughts. take a little care that your old monitor will have the right connections for your new desktop purchase. and keep your fingers crossed your new operating system will have the correct drivers for the monitor.I'm guessing you know your IT stuff pretty well. I still have an old Vista desktop in the back room that hardly gets used these days. (prefer sitting in my armchair with my laptop). Have you considered updating your desktop by converting it to a Linux distribution? Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin and Feren are good options. With LibreOffice Suite, Firefox and some real good free photography storage tools you can get another 5 years out of it.

I actually don’t know a fat lot tbh hence I’m on here lol. It’s all a rouse...the old pc was resurrected by a family member of my ex so tricky to now ask for help on a new purchase. Your conversion options I’m sure are good but definitely not something I would know where to start on lol.
My monitor is only 6 months old so I presume connectivity will be ok. Only cheap but does the job and I’m not fussed for all singing all dancing.
Bertz9902/01/2020 20:44

i5 9400 is not bad in that but tbh the SSD in the laptop will make it feel …i5 9400 is not bad in that but tbh the SSD in the laptop will make it feel a lot quicker than the hdd in that desktop. loading times and save times with an ssd is a lot better than what you get with a hdd. At £400 you should be getting an ssd in either format and also worth keeping in mind AMD Ryzen's are more than competitive at this moment with Intel - especially for productivity use you describe.

Hi, something like this? ao.com/pro…spx
Suzannzan02/01/2020 20:50

Hi, something like this? …Hi, something like this? https://ao.com/product/3xs102171-3xs-desktop-black-72282-253.aspx

yep - jumping your budget up moves the posts more

That has best of both worlds with an ssd for your os and apps (will load quickly) and then 1TB hdd to store larger things on.

the 3400 Ryzen APU in that is pretty good and as advertised would play some games (I know this is not what you seek)

That one is made by scan and comes with 3 years warrant - if you search ccl it comes out roughly the same price.

The components that will be scrimped on here is the motherboards in both are A320 that offer value for money but a liitle behind others.

Personally from what you have listed I would go with the laptop and have it setup with a keyboard, mouse and monitor at home (two screens effectively on a laptop stand) but then be able to take it with you if going somewhere.

Of course, if after a desktop and not in a rush and add tags desktop and pc to your alerts here you will see when a good bargain appears (and they do)
Edited by: "Bertz99" 2nd Jan
Bertz9902/01/2020 21:13

yep - jumping your budget up moves the posts more That has best of both …yep - jumping your budget up moves the posts more That has best of both worlds with an ssd for your os and apps (will load quickly) and then 1TB hdd to store larger things on.the 3400 Ryzen APU in that is pretty good and as advertised would play some games (I know this is not what you seek)That one is made by scan and comes with 3 years warrant - if you search ccl it comes out roughly the same price.The components that will be scrimped on here is the motherboards in both are A320 that offer value for money but a liitle behind others.Personally from what you have listed I would go with the laptop and have it setup with a keyboard, mouse and monitor at home (two screens effectively on a laptop stand) but then be able to take it with you if going somewhere.Of course, if after a desktop and not in a rush and add tags desktop and pc to your alerts here you will see when a good bargain appears (and they do)

Yeah I had thought laptop to hook to keyboard and monitor which I do at work and works well. My problem therein in my monitor doesn’t have hdmi connectivity making it more difficult? Not in a desperate rush, just want a good deal, as we all do on here lol. Thank you.
Suzannzan02/01/2020 21:50

Yeah I had thought laptop to hook to keyboard and monitor which I do at …Yeah I had thought laptop to hook to keyboard and monitor which I do at work and works well. My problem therein in my monitor doesn’t have hdmi connectivity making it more difficult? Not in a desperate rush, just want a good deal, as we all do on here lol. Thank you.

yw

search ebay for hdmi to display port, hdmi to dvi or hdmi to vga (whichever your monitor has and I would choose in that order as most recent being first in list with vga being oldest) and not that costly to resolve that issue.
Bertz9902/01/2020 21:56

ywsearch ebay for hdmi to display port, hdmi to dvi or hdmi to vga …ywsearch ebay for hdmi to display port, hdmi to dvi or hdmi to vga (whichever your monitor has and I would choose in that order as most recent being first in list with vga being oldest) and not that costly to resolve that issue.

I’ve just checked and it’s d-sub connection? Is that easy for laptop connectivity? (Sorry to be dim) lol
Suzannzan02/01/2020 22:01

I’ve just checked and it’s d-sub connection? Is that easy for laptop con …I’ve just checked and it’s d-sub connection? Is that easy for laptop connectivity? (Sorry to be dim) lol

another name for d-sub is vga

ebay.co.uk/itm…KNm

but am questioning myself if that will work as vga is analog and hdmi, display port and dvi are all digital
Edited by: "Bertz99" 2nd Jan
Bertz9902/01/2020 22:05

another name for d-sub is vga …another name for d-sub is vga https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-Male-to-VGA-Male-Video-Converter-Adapter-Cable-Cord-1080P-HDTV-UK/254181147323?hash=item3b2e6082bb:g:2x4AAOSwt0FdjKNmbut am questioning myself if that will work as vga is analog and hdmi, display port and dvi are all digital

Ah ok thank you. I guess worst case I’d need a new monitor too which at maybe £100 would then come Back to pc cost of £500 but with the flexibility of the laptop
typically that HP is oos now (doh) but I’m in no great rush
thank you for your advice, I’m thinking laptop is the way to go.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions