Laptop OS

Posted 4th Jul 2020
hi I purchased a new laptop from very a few year back and the harddrive had failed and am going to be inserting a new harddrive. the os was on the laptop when it arrived and the laptop has no disk drive and did not come with a copy of the windows if that makes sense. what's the best solution with new HDD thankyou
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
I'm confused. You say "and the harddrive had failed" but also say "and the laptop has no disk drive"
Its not by any chance one of these emmc laptops which is flash memory only?
tardytortoise04/07/2020 16:31

I'm confused. You say "and the harddrive had failed" but also say "and …I'm confused. You say "and the harddrive had failed" but also say "and the laptop has no disk drive"Its not by any chance one of these emmc laptops which is flash memory only?

No it's s laptop but it doesn't have a disk drive think it's the Acer spin 3
Jon_Dent04/07/2020 16:32

No it's s laptop but it doesn't have a disk drive think it's the Acer spin …No it's s laptop but it doesn't have a disk drive think it's the Acer spin 3

If it is a ACer spin 3 then it should have a SSD

Assuming you activated windows 10 and have an account you can remember and MS recognise then the simple way would be to replace the defective drive like for like, download the win10 ISO, install and activate with your account.
tardytortoise04/07/2020 16:40

If it is a ACer spin 3 then it should have a SSD Assuming you activated …If it is a ACer spin 3 then it should have a SSD Assuming you activated windows 10 and have an account you can remember and MS recognise then the simple way would be to replace the defective drive like for like, download the win10 ISO, install and activate with your account.

There are models of Spin 3 that came with HDDs, and when he says no disk drive, he's obvs talking about Optical Disk Drive to install Windows from.
spruceyb04/07/2020 17:27

There are models of Spin 3 that came with HDDs, and when he says no disk …There are models of Spin 3 that came with HDDs, and when he says no disk drive, he's obvs talking about Optical Disk Drive to install Windows from.

Thanks I'm too hungover to explain but yeah just going to be a nightmare getting the os onto a USB stick as I no longer own a desktop or other laptop
Visit this site from another Windows device microsoft.com/sof…s10

Have a suitably large USB drive (8GB+) and the tool will create a bootable drive you can install Windows from.
Just insert the new drive into your laptop, plug the USB drive in and as the HDD (or SSD if thats what you're replacing it with) is blank the laptop will boot from the USB and install Windows.

As the only thing to change is the HDD, Windows will activate fine.
Jon_Dent04/07/2020 17:31

Thanks I'm too hungover to explain but yeah just going to be a …Thanks I'm too hungover to explain but yeah just going to be a nightmare getting the os onto a USB stick as I no longer own a desktop or other laptop

There are people selling 8GB sticks with the recovery on them on eBay, about £8
spruceyb04/07/2020 17:37

Visit this site from another Windows device …Visit this site from another Windows device https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10Have a suitably large USB drive (8GB+) and the tool will create a bootable drive you can install Windows from.Just insert the new drive into your laptop, plug the USB drive in and as the HDD (or SSD if thats what you're replacing it with) is blank the laptop will boot from the USB and install Windows.As the only thing to change is the HDD, Windows will activate fine.

Thanks a lot glad Windows stays activated would have been a nightmare. Didn't realise it would be so simple lol
spruceyb04/07/2020 17:39

There are people selling 8GB sticks with the recovery on them on eBay, …There are people selling 8GB sticks with the recovery on them on eBay, about £8

Might sound dumb but what's difference from 32 bit and 64 bit which should I get
Jon_Dent04/07/2020 17:42

Might sound dumb but what's difference from 32 bit and 64 bit which should …Might sound dumb but what's difference from 32 bit and 64 bit which should I get

64 Bit
I'm wandering if I could use my android phone to load the boot disk rather than paying for the usb ?
Simply put, a 64-bit processor is more capable than a 32-bit processor, because it can handle more data at once. A 64-bit processor is capable of storing more computational values, including memory addresses, which means it’s able to access over four billion times the physical memory of a 32-bit processor. That’s just as big as it sounds.

Here’s the key difference: 32-bit processors are perfectly capable of handling a limited amount of RAM (in Windows, 4GB or less), and 64-bit processors are capable of utilizing much more.
One thing not mentioned here is that you'll need to know if you had Windows 10 home or pro as you can only activate what you had before, if you don't know try home, and if that fails try again but with pro.

You can create a Windows 10 recovery usb from any computer running Windows 10 home or pro.
Post a comment
@
    Text